using the ifi iCAN nano with the ifi iDSD nano
Aug 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dave1215

New Head-Fier
Through a reasonably thorough search in the Head-Fi forums I have not found much discussion on using these two devices TOGETHER and in a recent review (http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/ifi-nano-ican-portable-headphone-amplifier/) an assertion was made that:

"...the Nano iDSD’s amp puts out about 130mW of power (at 16 Ohms), while the Nano iCAN’s amp produces 150mW of power (at 32 Ohms). So, the iCAN is nominally the more powerful product, but not by so large a margin as to lead us to expect significant sonic differences, or so it might seem at first glance. However, in practice the Nano iCAN sounds demonstrably and substantially more powerful than the iDSD does, which is why I think it makes a terrific add-on..."

What are your thoughts on how the iCAN makes the iDSD even better?

Would you connect the two with a pair of RCA interconnects or a 3.5mm headphone-out to 3.5mm mini-input?

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 21
I would like to illustrate the alternatives in question so, until I obtain permission to upload photos, let me refer you to photos 2 and 3 on this linked page --> http://ifi-audio-jp.blogspot.com/2013/11/nano-idsd-nano-ican.html.

Which do you think is better?

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 21
GOD , JESUS !

Look at my setup in my signature ! 

The iCAN makes the most significant difference in my set up ! the iDSD Nano had the most minimal difference . 
give it a try , there;s 7 day cash back gurantee ~ and i swore across my heart, you will not regret it ! 

on my search for amps , this one stood right out of the crowd , even amps costing 3-4x as much was no match for it , and im not kidding , when i try amps , i never asked for the price of any of the portable amps , just try and try and try, then i'll ask for the price of each after all my tries , didnt want to let my eyes judge the product based on price.

i hope you get your ican nano soon ! 

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 21
okay, potatoe, you got me - my iCAN nano should arrive tomorrow.  then will to decide between mini or RCA connection.  i currently have a DT880 with the same 250 ohms as your T90.

what interconnects do you use on your chain --> AMR iFi iDSD Nano > AMR iFi iTUBE Micro > AMR iFi iCAN Nano?  presumably two pairs of RCA?  would you be so kind to share photos?

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #5 of 21

RCA all the way ! ^^

I've removed the rubber bands now , they look even neater now ! :p

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #6 of 21
powerful package with small footprint - almost rivals my aerial speakers run by my theta dreadnaught!

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 21
Hi Dave.  Are you pleased with the addition of the iCAN Nano?  I'm currently on the fence about whether or not to add the iCAN it to an iDSD Nano.  I already use the iDSD Nano, mostly at work in the office.  Those RCA plugs with the nylon sheath are sweet, who makes those?  Thanks.

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 21
  Hi Dave.  Are you pleased with the addition of the iCAN Nano?  I'm currently on the fence about whether or not to add the iCAN it to an iDSD Nano.  I already use the iDSD Nano, mostly at work in the office...

While I really like the small footprint of my "system", I do not know if I would have preferred just having the iDSD Micro instead of these two matched components had I not already been invested in the iDSD Nano before deciding to purchase the iCAN Nano.  Nonetheless, I am very pleased indeed with the addition of the iCAN Nano which added a great amount of audio headroom, signal shaping and visual appeal (along with the Forza Hybrid Series RCA interconnects).  

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 21
Well your "system" looks sweet!  I think I'll go ahead and add it, just to satisfy my own OCD that I need to complete the Nano stack :)  I've been pleased with the iDSD Nano so far by itself, and I'm thinking of the iDSD Micro as well.  We can only use one DAC/Amp at a time, and yet I continue to get equipment.  My wife doesn't understand this, but I know folks here get it.
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 21
  ...I think I'll go ahead and add it, just to satisfy my own OCD that I need to complete the Nano stack :)  I've been pleased with the iDSD Nano so far by itself, and I'm thinking of the iDSD Micro as well...

here are a few more photos --> http://www.head-fi.org/t/633511/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xvi/13755#post_10867723

please report back.  i love my "stack" but also would be interested in hearing how it compares to the iDSD Micro.  thanks.

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 21
which if the best combo to use with iPod as a transport, i don't mind using more than i ifi product to get a great sound, i need it to be transportable so i can take it with me around the house,

can the micro ifi have an external battery

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #13 of 21
  okay, potatoe, you got me - my iCAN nano should arrive tomorrow.  then will to decide between mini or RCA connection.  i currently have a DT880 with the same 250 ohms as your T90.

what interconnects do you use on your chain --> AMR iFi iDSD Nano > AMR iFi iTUBE Micro > AMR iFi iCAN Nano?  presumably two pairs of RCA?  would you be so kind to share photos?

GOD , JESUS !

Look at my setup in my signature ! 

The iCAN makes the most significant difference in my set up ! the iDSD Nano had the most minimal difference . 
give it a try , there;s 7 day cash back gurantee ~ and i swore across my heart, you will not regret it ! 

on my search for amps , this one stood right out of the crowd , even amps costing 3-4x as much was no match for it , and im not kidding , when i try amps , i never asked for the price of any of the portable amps , just try and try and try, then i'll ask for the price of each after all my tries , didnt want to let my eyes judge the product based on price.

i hope you get your ican nano soon ! 

Hey guys!

I have a big question.I will buy iFi iCan Nano, but everyone says there is hiss with iem's.I have In Ear SD3 now.I will connect AK100 mk2 with ican nano (rca to mini) will i hear any hiss? also my iem have 40 ohm impedence, and finally I found :

It's a impedance conductor.75-150 Ohm 2 options, will this guy solve my *possible* problem?

Oct 16, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #14 of 21
Originally Posted by py61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"...will i hear any hiss? also my iem have 40 ohm impedence..."

sorry i cannot help - no solid objects have been in my ears (other than cotton swabs) since 1999.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back