Using the Asus D2X, should I consider a DAC
Aug 2, 2008 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

HeadLover

1000+ Head-Fier
I know the ASUS is one great card, with a good output and a very good DAC (some might say it is the best one in the market now for a PC - not a pro card yet, but close)

So
Will I benefit much more by buying a DAC ?
I am using headphones like Grado, Shinn (600,650,595) and so on

And will I need a very good (and expensive DAC) to really "shine" or what?

Just wonder, from guys who have this soundcard

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 11
i have the same question...
bump..

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 11
ASUS D2X should be equivalent of a DAC up to around the $500 range. Prepare to spend that much or more to see an improvement, though you may find sound signature differences in less-expensive solutions.

Aug 12, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ASUS D2X should be equivalent of a DAC up to around the $500 range. Prepare to spend that much or more to see an improvement, though you may find sound signature differences in less-expensive solutions.

Then I am glad I picked the Xonar D2X over the Auzentech Prelude.
darthsmile.gif

I love the sound signature of the Xonar D2X, and I don't think I want to spend as much as $500-$600 to just see "an improvement".

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 11
I have ordered a pico headphone amp. When I eventually receive it some months down the line, which is the best way for me to connect the amp to my PC?

I have ordered the USB DAC version. So theoretically, I could connect via USB to the PC, or via mini-mini to the headphone out on my Xonar D2X?

Which would be better quality source for the amp?

Aug 13, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by starscream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have ordered a pico headphone amp. When I eventually receive it some months down the line, which is the best way for me to connect the amp to my PC?

I have ordered the USB DAC version. So theoretically, I could connect via USB to the PC, or via mini-mini to the headphone out on my Xonar D2X?

Which would be better quality source for the amp?

The DAC chip in the Pico is no slouch (Wolfson WM8740)... Compare both inputs and pick the one you like best.

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackeShan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then I am glad I picked the Xonar D2X over the Auzentech Prelude.
darthsmile.gif

I love the sound signature of the Xonar D2X, and I don't think I want to spend as much as $500-$600 to just see "an improvement".

the X-Fi Prelude, X-Fi Elite Pro, a few E-MU boards, etc (most things in the price range of the D2X and D2) also fit into that "similar to $500" range, not just the Xonar series (granted, some boards, like the Onkyo SE-200 LTD have absurdly good analog stages for stereo output, which might nudge them ahead of the competition, but D/A wise, they're all pretty comparable in that price bracket)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back