Using speaker wire for interconnect?
Aug 7, 2007 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MonkeysAteMe

100+ Head-Fier
Can I use some speaker wire for an interconnect? It seems like a good option because it's pretty large gauge, but I'm worried about the lack of shielding.

I can also use some solid cat5e cable, would that be better to use?

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeysAteMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know about the shielding?

Make your own. Its DIY for a reason.

Aug 7, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Too thick in what way? Does it actually degrade the sound being so thick or does it just not fit well?

Does anyone know about the shielding?

Thanks.

It can degrade the sound if they are too thick, the "Skin Effect" is often used to describe the smearing of sound due to a conductor being to thick.

People often shield their cables by braiding them, but you can also chose to put the wire inside a copper braid tube and ground the wire to the interconnect on only one side, the source side.

I am also assuming that the wire is stranded, solid conductors are the best for audio because when it is stranded, every strand may not be the EXACT same length, which can also smear the sound because the signal may arrive at different times.

Aug 7, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also assuming that the wire is stranded, solid conductors are the best for audio because when it is stranded, every strand may not be the EXACT same length, which can also smear the sound because the signal may arrive at different times.

I'm not sure that that's the real issue with stranded wire, since Litz wire still does okay. From what I've read, it seems like the problem is with the signal jumping from strand to strand.

Aug 7, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 15
Thanks for everyone's help, it looks like I'll be using solid core cat5e. One more question though. Should I use a pair for each signal or just a single strand?

P.S. This is kind of unrelated. Would using a piggyback cable like this and a normal rca on top of it degrade the sound quality more than just a normal rca (all comparably made)?

I ask this because I want to use a DAC for both my receiver and headphone amp.

Thanks again.

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

I ask this because I want to use a DAC for both my receiver and headphone amp.

Thanks again.

For this, I would use a selector switch to switch between the two sources. With the piggy back method, all though it would work, you may pick up some noise from the source that is off...it's still acting like a big antenna.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

It can degrade the sound if they are too thick, the "Skin Effect" is often used to describe the smearing of sound due to a conductor being to thick.

The skin effect is the phenomena in which at higher frequencies, the current will conduct through the skin of the conductor rather than the whole thing. It essentially decreases the conductive area, thereby increasing resistance and degrading sound.

Aug 7, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjornboy81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For this, I would use a selector switch to switch between the two sources. With the piggy back method, all though it would work, you may pick up some noise from the source that is off...it's still acting like a big antenna.
smily_headphones1.gif

Where do you find this type of selector switch, with 1 input switching between multiple outputs? Kind of like a preamp in reverse. I've been looking for such a thing and haven't been able to find one.

Aug 7, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where do you find this type of selector switch, with 1 input switching between multiple outputs? Kind of like a preamp in reverse. I've been looking for such a thing and haven't been able to find one.

I kind of misunderstood your original intent...oops.

But anyways, a DTDP (double throw double pole) switch would work. connect all the grounds and use the switch to switch the left and right (double pole) between the receiver and headphone amp (double throw)

do a search in this section...it's been asked a couple times with good responses.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #14 of 15
I use MILSPEC silver coated wire. You can buy it cheap on ebay and experiment with enclosing it in plastic tubing, cotton sheathing, etc. Try it...you'll like it!

Aug 9, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logistics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now throw this into the mix: CAT5 is 100-Ohm fixed impedance cable.

What impact does this have?

And would it be better to use two strands of the ethernet per channel/ground or is one enough?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back