Using soundcard with custom IEM?
Jun 5, 2010 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lonereaction

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not new to computers (diy and stuff) but I'm confused about computer audio.

Have a 2 year old X-Fi Extreme gamer, how do I listen to my jh16s from the PC? Should I connect it directly to the back of the soundcard?

I gave my iqube to a good friend who needed them more than I did (headphones).

Thankyou.

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 10
WOW that's a high end IEM with a low end source.

Pretty much, just plug them in.  It should be able to drive them fine.  Maybe a little $100 external uniit or similar sound card replacement, if you find any noise or issues.

Jun 6, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 10
I'm trying to search the computer audio forum to see if anyone have had similar questions.

My PC is on the floor, and it would be a pain in the ass (cable too short too) to crawl under the table every time I want to listen. D:

Jun 6, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
I'm trying to search the computer audio forum to see if anyone have had similar questions.

My PC is on the floor, and it would be a pain in the ass (cable too short too) to crawl under the table every time I want to listen. D:

OH, that's a totally different question!  Just run down to a Radio Shack or similar store, and find a cheapo 3.5mm to 3.5mm 3ft extension cable.  Easy as that.

Jun 6, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 10
Do you know where I can get a cryoed extension cable?.. Just kidding!
I just remembered that my logitech Z5500 speakers has a headphone out on the control pod thingy. Will try that when I get home.

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Do you know where I can get a cryoed extension cable?

Yes, I have one.  Just give me 20 minutes at a mall, and $5000.  If you don't hear the difference, it's not my fault, it's your ears. = D

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #7 of 10
I listed to the first track of the Ultrasone demo cd, from the logitech headphone out. It's really good!... soundstage seems better than from my ipod. Hmm. Wonder if there are setups that sound better.. Desktop USB DAC AMP?

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #8 of 10
..then a logitech Z-5500 headphone jack? 
Those speakers are not considered that good for sound or electronics. Don't get me wrong they can be great for some for the power/price factor.
You can be assured there are much better sounding systems out there.

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
..then a logitech Z-5500 headphone jack? 
Those speakers are not considered that good for sound or electronics. Don't get me wrong they can be great for some for the power/price factor.
You can be assured there are much better sounding systems out there.

This is a bit biased in nature.  The sound doesn't run through the Logitech's hardware in any way.  Just the cable from the computer, which meets up at the Z-5500 control pod.

@OP, there definitely is better, but you'd have to spend some cash.  Along with this, you have a REALLY easy to drive/amp IEM, and you would hit diminishing returns in amplification really quickly.  I'd almost suggest sticking with that setup, unless you want the very best, which would be expensive.

If you want better anyway, you can look into the RSA Protector + balanced recabling.  You mentioned you have portable sources as well as the computer, and the JH13+TWag has been paired well with the Protector. (Source)  This, plus the line-out from your X-Fi, would make your setup sound amazing for years to come.

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #10 of 10
I'll keep that in mind when I've got loads of spare cash.. fixed up a mountain bike recently, so the well's pretty dry. Thanks for all you've posted so far, it seems you're one of the regulars in this section. =)

If I don't want/need a portable setup, would just upgrading the soundcard to something from auzentech do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back