Using receiver to drive headphones & other questions
Mar 7, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #76 of 85
Will it? Probably. Will it drive demanding phones properly and without clipping? I have doubts.

Mar 7, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #77 of 85

Quote:
I have a question that kind of relates to the op's question. Could an old Aiwa Karaoke machine be used to drive headphones? I mean, it can drive good sized speakers, like it was meant to do. And it has what I think is a 1/4" headphones jack on the front of it. If you google image "aiwa karaoke" and look at the second picture, that's kind of what mine looks like. But I think I have a slightly newer version of those.
It's kind of a silly question, but a helpful one!

It will probably do an OK job of driving headphones but more importantly, your friends will laugh at you!  LOL
beyersmile.png

Seriously, try it and see!  Most receivers will do a reasonably good job of driving headphones. But you can often do better with a good dedicated headphone amp.

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #78 of 85

Quote:
It will probably do an OK job of driving headphones but more importantly, your friends will laugh at you!  LOL
beyersmile.png

Seriously, try it and see!  Most receivers will do a reasonably good job of driving headphones. But you can often do better with a good dedicated headphone amp.

So, the karaoke thing is a receiver? And my friends aren't into headphones, only 1 of them cares, and not enough to think it's funny. I'm just wondering because I am going to get Philips Downtown's as my portable/public use headphones. And for my birthday this summer, I am going to ask for a pair of $300 headphones, I was thinking about the Fidelio's, since people said their isolation was good, I might bring them with me in public. But, I might just want a pair of open headphones, to keep only at home. It kind of depends on whether the Karaoke thing can drive headphones like the Q701, HD598, or HD600/650. And, I would also want suggestions on if I should actually have headphones for at home use only, since I'm only in high school now, and then college is coming up in a few years. What do you guys think?

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #79 of 85

So, the karaoke thing is a receiver? And my friends aren't into headphones, only 1 of them cares, and not enough to think it's funny. I'm just wondering because I am going to get Philips Downtown's as my portable/public use headphones. And for my birthday this summer, I am going to ask for a pair of $300 headphones, I was thinking about the Fidelio's, since people said their isolation was good, I might bring them with me in public. But, I might just want a pair of open headphones, to keep only at home. It kind of depends on whether the Karaoke thing can drive headphones like the Q701, HD598, or HD600/650. And, I would also want suggestions on if I should actually have headphones for at home use only, since I'm only in high school now, and then college is coming up in a few years. What do you guys think?

Sorry about that, I was just trying to be funny.
I don't know much about Karaoke machines, but I would guess that it is fairly similar to a receiver.
Keep in mind that some headphones are sealed and leak very little noise outside the 'phones. A 'phone like the Q701 is a nice, bright 'phone, but it is open and leaks a lot of sound outside the headphone so may drive anyone crazy who was sitting next to you.
Cheers!
CJ

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #80 of 85

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry about that, I was just trying to be funny.
I don't know much about Karaoke machines, but I would guess that it is fairly similar to a receiver.
Keep in mind that some headphones are sealed and leak very little noise outside the 'phones. A 'phone like the Q701 is a nice, bright 'phone, but it is open and leaks a lot of sound outside the headphone so may drive anyone crazy who was sitting next to you.
Cheers!
CJ

I have my own room, so I wouldn't have that problem.

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #81 of 85
@ Rezound

I'm a newbie myself...  

If you are spending over $300 on headphones it won't hurt to spend $30 on this cmoy.    

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altoids-Tin-CMOY-Amplifier-Bass-Boost-OPA2134-/230724003770#ht_708wt_1376

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #82 of 85
I have my own room, so I wouldn't have that problem.

Just my opinion, but I feel that Open headphones sound better because they sound more "open" and less like headphones. Closed headphones usually sound too bass heavy for my taste.Open cans sound more like real music. Like I said, just my opinion.:xf_eek:

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #83 of 85

Quote:

Just my opinion, but I feel that Open headphones sound better because they sound more "open" and less like headphones. Closed headphones usually sound too bass heavy for my taste.Open cans sound more like real music. Like I said, just my opinion.
redface.gif

I would probably think the same way. But I need at least a little bass. I have to experience every instrument through the headphones!

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #84 of 85
Open headphones have bass - there's a huge disconnect methinks between what constitutes an appropriate amount of bass, and what modern bass-boost closed headphones can provide. Something like the 70x is still very much a "full range" can. 

Quote:
I would probably think the same way. But I need at least a little bass. I have to experience every instrument through the headphones!

Mar 8, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #85 of 85
Open headphones have bass - there's a huge disconnect methinks between what constitutes an appropriate amount of bass, and what modern bass-boost closed headphones can provide. Something like the 70x is still very much a "full range" can. 

More bass = more dilitium crystals?

Less bass = less Dilithium crystals?

What is wrong with me? I think I need a Romulan Ale or two, LOL!

Seriously, I agree about the bass, Q701 sounds fine to me, a bit bright but the bass is full and extended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back