Using just the DAC portion of a CD player?
Jun 29, 2009 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

joe_seattle

Head-Fier
This might seem like an odd question...is there any way to utilize just the DAC portion of a CD player, or is the connection from the laser head etc to the dac generally proprietary or player-specific? If there is a way, is relatively easy, or a real pain? I like the Rotel player I have, and would enjoy some way to get an optical signal from my laptop to the player and use the DAC and the rest of the output.

Thanks! -Joe

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 7
You would need to add a digital input... not easy. The laser head to DAC typically uses I2S. If you want to pursue this, I would look and ask somewhere like diyaudio.

Digital inputs are becoming more common on newer players for just this reason, so it isn't just you that is looking for this functionality.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #4 of 7
Basically, considering the cost of parts and the time spent educating yourself on how this is done, you could likely get, work, and quit a minimum wage paying job and use the money earned to buy an excellent DAC for roughly the same amount of effort.

Only invest yourself in this project further if you are in it for the challenge. There is no convenience to be found here.

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #5 of 7
Actually it wouldn't be hard to do, but it would be quite hacky.

You need something that will convert S/PDIF to I2S - that's easy, CS8416 (basically search for any DIY DAC design and it will be in there, or a similar chip).

Run the I2S lines to the relevant pins on your Rotel - you'd have to find out what DAC the Rotel uses and have some way of switching between the internal I2S and the external I2S. I'd much prefer to have a proper single PCB for everything, but you can run I2S lines in wire (see Twisted Pear. I think this is a terrible way of doing things, from an technical point of view, but they're selling lots and people are generally happy...).

You'd need to do a fair amount of research, but technically it's not difficult. Practically is a different matter...

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Most commercial players use standard DAC chips (Burr-Brown, AD mainly) so a quick look through the datasheet will tell you. Unless it's a software setup chip, in which case you're going to have to get in touch with the technical department...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back