Using IEMs with in-flight entertainment systems.
May 16, 2015 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

White Lotus

Reviewer for Stereo.net.au
Here is my method:

Never again shall I use those evil, plastic "free" headsets. 

Pictured here:

1. Unique Melody MERLIN
  2. FiiO E12A IEM edition
  3. Generic 3.5 to 3.5 cable
  4. Generic in-flight adapter. 

Anyone else have a solution to using these systems? 

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 8
Do custom IEMs provide more noise isolation than universal fit IEMs?
I find that I have to volume up more than usual using universal fit IEMs.

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 8
I think my bad english has got you confused.

I don't own any customs. What I meant was, on a plane or train, with shallow fit universal IEMs I have to increase volume more than I usually do in quiet environment.
I actually bought a pair of ER-4 for the sole purpose as traveling IEMs. The triple-flanged tips give a deep fit and provide good isolation, but the sound is not what I prefer.
ER-4 are the only deep insertion IEMs I am aware of.

I was wondering how custom IEMs stand when compared to ER-4 in term of isolation.

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 8
The UE Sound Guard should be very useful for airplanes because of the tendency for the PA system to override the normal audio at full blast. The newest airplanes, e.g. 777F, 787, A380, all have mitigated the PA system issue, but the cabin chief and pilots still come on much stronger than the movie music when they speak over the PA.

I also use the Phiaton airplane adapter when traveling, as it is able to fold in, to 90 degrees, or to 180 degrees. Awesome feature.

Aug 16, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #8 of 8
I think my bad english has got you confused.

I don't own any customs. What I meant was, on a plane or train, with shallow fit universal IEMs I have to increase volume more than I usually do in quiet environment.
I actually bought a pair of ER-4 for the sole purpose as traveling IEMs. The triple-flanged tips give a deep fit and provide good isolation, but the sound is not what I prefer.
ER-4 are the only deep insertion IEMs I am aware of.

I was wondering how custom IEMs stand when compared to ER-4 in term of isolation.
any shure 425 or above comes with the same triple flanges that ety uses, as far as I know. Also, you turn them up higher in louder environments because the nose floor of your surrounding area is higher. The same would be true of customs. Now, customs themselves tend to have isolation (from what I hear) that is roughly on par with a well-fitting universal of the same depth. Most customs companies recommend that regular consumers get a shallow fit because it is more likely to be comfortable (some people don't like the sensation of something going an inch or so into their ears.) but musicians fit should give as good of isolation as anything else.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back