Using AV Reciever as Headphone Amp
Aug 13, 2008 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kevinvisionm

100+ Head-Fier
hello, guys, I wanna ask about the performance of this set. Playstation 3 SACD Optical Output to Onkyo AV Reciever TX-NR801 Headphone out to Sen HD650. Is that ok if i use the hd 650 with the AV reciever like above? does it damaged headphone? Does the headphone give out the best performance with that set up?
Also when my friend just bought a brand new Sen Hd650, he wanted to burn in as fast as possible so he can see its top sound. Can he put it burned 3 days straight or he need to let it rest for a few hours before he can burn in again. Thanks very much

Aug 13, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinvisionm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello, guys, I wanna ask about the performance of this set. Playstation 3 SACD Optical Output to Onkyo AV Reciever TX-NR801 Headphone out to Sen HD650. Is that ok if i use the hd 650 with the AV reciever like above? does it damaged headphone? Does the headphone give out the best performance with that set up?
Also when my friend just bought a brand new Sen Hd650, he wanted to burn in as fast as possible so he can see its top sound. Can he put it burned 3 days straight or he need to let it rest for a few hours before he can burn in again. Thanks very much

Damage headphones: No, never heard of anything like that.
Best Performance: No, a good dedicated amp will drive them better. I wouldn't bother portable amps, my experience has shown me they don't drive HD6xx properly.
Burn-in 3 days straight: OK, but I prefer to simply listen.

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 9
Sennheiser HD650 scale up very well the equipment. You won't have problem running your HD650 with A/V Receiver. But using Headphone amp gives you better sound.

I used my HD650 with my denon receiver, I felt the HD650 sounded good, but the bass was little bloated. It also changes till 200 hours of burn-in.

Aug 14, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #7 of 9
I'd say buy the 650s, plug them in and listen. If you like what you hear, enjoy. Yes, a good quality dedicated headphone amp will bring them up a notch, maybe a lot more, depending on how good the Onkyo is. Only you can decide if that notch is worth an extra $400 - $1000.

Tim

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Varma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser HD650 scale up very well the equipment. You won't have problem running your HD650 with A/V Receiver. But using Headphone amp gives you better sound.

Yes, but which one? And how does he decide with so few opportunities to hear dedicated amps side by side? By reading reviews here? Would help, but unless the ancilliary equipment and musical tastes of the reviewer more or less match his it could be misleading.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used my HD650 with my denon receiver, I felt the HD650 sounded good, but the bass was little bloated. It also changes till 200 hours of burn-in.

That slightly bloated bass is typical of the difference between speaker amps and dedicated amps, and is often to be preferred in that it can make the sound warmer and "digital" sounding CDs more listenable. Depends of course on the type of music you listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back