Using an old Yamaha RX-E100 as a receiver for headphones.
Jul 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Wiener4Hire

New Head-Fier
SO i am just getting into the whole thing about headhphones, and i'm currently looking at at the HD 650 from sennheiser. I want to use them with my PC, and i looked around and quickly figured out that i will ne an amp to use them properly. Currently i have my PC 360 headset plugged into an ASUS D2X soundcard, however i also have a couple of old Yamaha NX-E100 speakers lugged to an RX-E100 receiver (with and attached CDX-E100 cd-player if that matters.) Now my question is, would this receiver be good enough to run these headphones with 300 ohms of impedance?

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 6
I would make a guess that the Yamaha RX-E100 headphone jack could drive 300-Ohm headphones.
I would say to run an analog audio cable from the Asus D2X's 3.5mm (green) jack to the RCA input (red/white) on the back of the RX-E100.

If you ended up needing an external headphone amplifier.

PAV2V (Pocket Amplifier 2 version 2), sells on eBay for around $60-$65

Schiit Magni, $99

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 6
Onderful, i already have the receiver hooked up to the D2X like that so i can use my speakers for the pc as well as for playing CD's. As a followup question, would it be worth it to get an optical to RCA adapter for the optical output  on the D2X that goes into the receiver?

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Onderful, i already have the receiver hooked up to the D2X like that so i can use my speakers for the pc as well as for playing CD's. As a followup question, would it be worth it to get an optical to RCA adapter for the optical output  on the D2X that goes into the receiver?

An optical to RCA adapter, sound like your describing an external DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)

Asus Xonar D2X comes with a good DAC chip, I would think you would want to spend $150-$200 to make it worth buying an external optical input DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back