Using an input selector with Modi/Magni
Oct 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MattyB37

New Head-Fier
I currently have a Schiit Modi that I use between my laptop and a paid of Audioengine A2s, I just received a pair of Beyerdynamics DT 990 250 Ohms that I ordered and I'll be placing an order for a Magni soon. I'd like to be able to use the Modi with both the A2s and the Magni but I'd rather not have to switch my RCA cables between the 2 every time. My question is would adding a switch box between the Modi and Magni degrade the signal at all?  I already have a switcher, I have a JVC JX-S111 AV Selector that I've had for about 12 years, I bought it when I used to be big into Home Theater primarily to switch between Component video sources, it was about $100 at the time so it should be a well built product (one would hope) It's been in storage for like 10 years because I haven't had a need for it so it's in almost perfect shape. 

Just for laughs I took some pics of it, I know I can't post pics because I'm a new user but I hope I'm allowed to post links
http://i.imgur.com/VU6mpY9.jpg back
http://i.imgur.com/Pkzb6Ac.jpg front

Also this is my first post and I just wanna say I loooooove this site! I've done a lot of lurking before I joined today and I'm excited to be a member of this community.

Oct 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 7
You could use the switch box.
Or just get an external headphone amplifier with a separate line-out, like the Bravo Ocean.

Oct 17, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 7
I thought about that too, I was just taking a look at the Little Dot MK II/MK III which feature this type of pre-amp functionality and I do plan on getting a tube amp of some sort eventually.

My question still remains though, do you think the switch box would add any kind of audio degradation? I'm definitely getting the Magni first, this will be my first headphone amp and the Modi was my first DAC and I'm very curious to try them together. I have a feeling the Magni will be my first of many amps haha

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 7
I thought about that too, I was just taking a look at the Little Dot MK II/MK III which feature this type of pre-amp functionality and I do plan on getting a tube amp of some sort eventually.

My question still remains though, do you think the switch box would add any kind of audio degradation? I'm definitely getting the Magni first, this will be my first headphone amp and the Modi was my first DAC and I'm very curious to try them together. I have a feeling the Magni will be my first of many amps haha

Unless someone on head-fi has had experience with that JVC switch switch box, might be hard to give an informed opinion.
Try the JVC switch box, see if you like the sound quality.

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 7
Yeah that makes sense, and I'm sure my this particular switcher isn't exactly common. Does any body have any experience using an RCA switcher in general?

i have a RCA switch box too of about the same vintage and have been wondering the same thing, ill have to dig it out and try. I believe its powered as well so signal degrading should be minimal 

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 7
The one I have is NOT powered, you can see links to pics of it in the first post. When I bought it it was to use it as a Component video switcher and I assume at the time that I did research to make sure it could do this with no loss of video quality (I was very much concerned with this at the time haha, videos not really my thing anymore) it's just that it's been so long that I can't remember. I know the obvious answer is just to try it out and see but I guess I just wanted a few other opinions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back