using an expensive headphone outside
Nov 24, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #17 of 41
x 2! "Teddy Rig". Hilarious!
tongue.gif

Nov 24, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good IEM's should fit well enough to prevent water from going in your ears and effectively dislodging them.

It's less of an issue when you put dry iems in dry ears. But if you put them in when they are wet or your ears are wet, they will fall out.

Nov 24, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #19 of 41
Depends on the headphones.

Would I use my D5000s outside? Absolutely not! Wooden headphone + outdoors = bad.

Would I use my A700s outside? No, I'd look like an idiot.

Would I use my ATH-ES7s outside? Yes! And I do. Cause they're portable headphones.

As far as price goes, I don't care as long as they are portable. I'd wear ES10s outside as well because I'd always have them around my neck or on my ears.

Nov 24, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on the headphones.

Would I use my D5000s outside? Absolutely not! Wooden headphone + outdoors = bad.

Would I use my A700s outside? No, I'd look like an idiot.

Would I use my ATH-ES7s outside? Yes! And I do. Cause they're portable headphones.

As far as price goes, I don't care as long as they are portable. I'd wear ES10s outside as well because I'd always have them around my neck or on my ears.

nonsense. Wood can perfectly withstand water. Most boats are made of wood mind you.

a700 would be an option? (what do you care if you look like an idiot?)

Nov 24, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #21 of 41
I disagree, JS. D5000's aren't marine equipment by any stretch of the imagination. Keep in mind that wooden boats (vs. fiberglass, other synthetic plastics) require frequent maintenance, as well. Exposure to dry then wet, etc. environments repeatedly can cause the wood shell of the D5000's to warp and perhaps even crack down the line.

Would you play a $20,000 wooden violin in a downpour?

Nov 24, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justice Strike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who here dares to use an expensive headphone outside, exposed to the weather? (especially cold rainy weather?)

Define Expensive.

Nov 24, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

I disagree, JS. D5000's aren't marine equipment by any stretch of the imagination. Keep in mind that wooden boats (vs. fiberglass, other synthetic plastics) require frequent maintenance, as well.

I used to repair racing boats. By far carbonfiber/fiberglass boats needs loads of maintenance (and expensive maintenance), compared to wooden racing boats. But that's a different discusion.

Quote:

Exposure to dry then wet, etc. environments repeatedly can cause the wood shell of the D5000's to warp and perhaps even crack down the line.

i've seen them, they are lacquered. Rain has no influence on them.

Quote:

Would you play a $20,000 wooden violin in a downpour?

no, but that's because i can't play the violin.

Nov 25, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #27 of 41
Wood used for boats (at least these days) is all sealed so that whole point is toast...

As a violin luthier (maker/repairman) I cringe at the thought of a 20k violin being played in a downpour. Violins are sealed on the outside (spirit or oil varnish), but not on the inside (at least not usually). They are hyper-reactive to moisture. I'd go so far as to say if one did so, the violin could easily be ruined if left in those conditions for more than a few minutes. At best all of the glue (water based) releases and you have a pile of violin parts. At worst the wood warps and you can't fix that...

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #28 of 41
I use my D2000s on my way to/from work a lot of the time. They sound pretty good straight out of an iPhone and they've been rained on a little bit with no ill effect. Never been in a downpour with them or anything -- I'd definitely try to cover them in that kind of situation.

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #29 of 41
Perhaps the boat analogy wasn't "water tight". But obviously what I was getting at was that wood isn't impervious to water - especially that used for headphones - and should be maintained as such. The more I hear about D2000's, emansdrawkcab, the more I am deugirtni. (See what I did ereht?) Thinking about getting myself a pair on the cheap this Black Friday, if a source can be had...

Nov 25, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Perhaps the boat analogy wasn't "water tight". But obviously what I was getting at was that wood isn't impervious to water - especially that used for headphones - and should be maintained as such. The more I hear about D2000's, emansdrawkcab, the more I am deugirtni. (See what I did ereht?) Thinking about getting myself a pair on the cheap this Black Friday, if a source can be had...

I think I saw them going for 200 used on Amazon today. That's as low as I've ever seen them, so you'd probably be fine picking them up now if you want.

They're great cans, and I love 'em. Easy to drive (though they benefit from amplification pretty well), fun, punchy, great low-end response (I've never found them to muddy the lower-mids like some people do, but that's just my experience, and there's always the Markl mod if you end up feeling differently).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back