Using a DJ Mixer as a headphone amp
Jul 10, 2009 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AronBas

New Head-Fier
I have a Pioneer DJM 3000 and 600. Will either make an ok headphone amp for a an AKG 702 for the interim period or might I as well just plug the headphone directly into an ipod?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 4
[size=10pt]Hi All - i have a similar query for which i was hoping someone could confirm my understanding on. My question is a variant of the head-fi classic “do I actually need a headphone amp??”. What makes this a little different is that I run a 100% analogue home hi-fi setup.[/size]

[size=10pt]So here is my home setup:[/size][size=10pt] I have a turntable setup that runs into a DJ mixer (acting as a pre-amp) and then into an amp that powers passive monitor speakers. No CD players and no mp3[/size][size=10pt] players or PC. [/size]

[size=10pt]Headphones:[/size][size=10pt] i've upgraded my home/studio headphones to a pair of 50 Ohm Mad Dog modded Fostex T50RP.[/size]

[size=10pt]What I plug my headphones into:[/size][size=10pt] For headphone listening I’ve always simply listened to music off the queue from one of my mixers headphone jacks (my mixer has two) but having spent a bit of time on this forum I’m wondering how good the headphone circuit is on my mixer.[/size]

[size=10pt]Fortunately the mixer's manual has some specifications on the headphone jacks output[/size]
  1. [size=10pt]impedance is >= 8 ohms[/size]
  2. [size=10pt]nominal output level is 90 db/mW max. at 47 ohms[/size]

[size=10pt]So, I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with.[/size]

[size=10pt]Does the headphone jack on the mixer cut the mustard to run my Mad Dogs?? [/size][size=10pt]Based on the 1/8th headphone impedance rule of thumb, impedance wont be a problem … ummm… right? [/size]

[size=10pt]Does the nominal 90 db/mW @ 47 ohms output mean that the 50 ohms Mad Dogs will be getting something a little under 90 db.mW??? [/size]

[size=10pt]Lastly, how would a headphone amp even work in my setup? Given the DJ Mixer is a pre-amp I’d have to run a headphone amp off the RCA output of my mixer so does that negate the value of one?[/size]

[size=10pt]Sorry lots of questions but after some heavy ‘googling’ I cant seem to find an answer on this.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back