Using a DAC/Headphone amp combo with powered speakers
Jul 30, 2019 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

boytoy

New Head-Fier
Hi all, fairly new to the audiophile sector and need your expertise. I was originally using a Senheisser HD 599 headphones with a iFi nano iDSD LE DAC. After many years of headphone usage, I decided to use speakers instead out of health concerns for me ear. My first set of audiophile speakers I bought were the Kanto YU6, two things I would like to ask.

First , I keep on reading on forums that I should not connect powered speakers to the the 3.5mm headphone jack, if so, how would I use my iDSD LE to operate in DAC mode only? My current setup ;these speakers are right in front of me on the table, approximately 6 feet in distance and using the RCA jacks for connection, the volume knob is at maximum as I would prefer to use the included remote for volume adjustment. Second, I feel that the the RCA jacks on the iDSD may have some form of amplification, even at moderate volume , I can always feel strong sound pressure coming out , making watching/listening to content to be uncomfortable.

I am debating or not whether to just remove the iDSD and just the use the built in DAC in my YU6, as that already outclasses the on board realtek audio chip on my macbook pro. Reluctant to lower the volume on the iDSD as I do not want to fiddle around with volume tweaking, much more convenient to have one volume control. Thoughts?

Jul 30, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #2 of 6
If you have optical out on your computer I would use that.

Jul 30, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #3 of 6
First , I keep on reading on forums that I should not connect powered speakers to the the 3.5mm headphone jack, if so, how would I use my iDSD LE to operate in DAC mode only? My current setup ;these speakers are right in front of me on the table, approximately 6 feet in distance and using the RCA jacks for connection, the volume knob is at maximum as I would prefer to use the included remote for volume adjustment. Second, I feel that the the RCA jacks on the iDSD may have some form of amplification, even at moderate volume , I can always feel strong sound pressure coming out , making watching/listening to content to be uncomfortable.

I am debating or not whether to just remove the iDSD and just the use the built in DAC in my YU6, as that already outclasses the on board realtek audio chip on my macbook pro. Reluctant to lower the volume on the iDSD as I do not want to fiddle around with volume tweaking, much more convenient to have one volume control. Thoughts?

iDSD Nano LE has line output. That's just a DAC output that skips the amplifier stage.

However it's on the front of the unit, ergonomically more suited to using it purely as a DAC and only as a back up headphone amp.

With the gear you have you have to choose between having the cables sticking out towards the front then having to snake towards the speakers, unplugging the RCA cables when using the headphone output then plugging them back in and reorienting the Nano LE, or just switching the output on the motherboard between the Nano LE and the speakers.

Since the Kanto YU6 has a remote and the Nano AFAIK doesn't have a preamplifier output you might as well just do the last one.

As for the sound difference that could be because:

1. It might actually be a preamp output, so check if the volume control on it works. If it does, you're outputting well over 2V.

2. YU6 DAC stage outputs lower than 2V.

3. Nano applies soem kind of EQ effect at the DAC stage, as some of their other products have something like that.

Jul 30, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 6
The Nano LE does not have line out the direct is meaning it does not go thru the IEM Match. The Nano BL does have a 3.5mm line out.

Jul 30, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 6
The Nano LE does not have line out the direct is meaning it does not go thru the IEM Match. The Nano BL does have a 3.5mm line out.
If you mean line out where it strictly bypasses any amplification and functions as solely as a DAC, I do not have such a feature as the Nano LE is bottom tier, only have headphone out where the amplifier is and the RCA jack. Guess I will use this for headphones exclusively then.

Jul 30, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 6
I connected my Kanto YU6 using a mini TOS Link cable, most of the sound pressure has been eliminated ,nothing was wrong with my setup after all. The Nano LE boosted my speaker volume considerable that my table was vibrating whenever audio was playing, unfortunately, given my small room, I do not have much space to further place my speakers away from me. The Nano LE DAC will have to be unplugged until I can find another purpose for it. While I could use it with headphones, I rather not given how I had been using headphones for easily 4 hours a day for over 10 years now; I am surprised that I am not deaf yet. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back