Useless Threads and You: "Yay, I have X# Posts"
Oct 21, 2005 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

nanahachi

Head-Fi FAQ(s) Volunteer
Free speech is great and everything, gotta love the Internet and the 1st Amendment, but is it really necessary to waste server space/bandwidth/etc with posts by members congratulating themselves for reaching various benchmarks in post counts?

You want a cookie for typing words on a forum?

Howabout instead we celebrate valuable, informational posts, since that would actually benefit somebody somewhere.

Boo if you want, you know I'm right.
[size=xx-small]You get a cookie if you recognize that quote.

Sponsored by the Bring Minya back to Headfi Campaign.[/size]

Oct 21, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 51
Ahhh Minya, that's a name I haven't heard in a while.

He left? It must have been while I was gone. Too bad! He was always fun to chat with.

That said, i don't really mind them more than any other useless thread. And since I'm not about to sit in judgement over what is useful and what is useless...

Though it might be a good idea if we centralized all of them into one stickied thread. That way they wouldn't eat up quite so much screen space... Anyone with me? Call it the "Official Head-Fi New Title Party" or something.

Oct 21, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 51
Ya know, there's a lot more threads i would deem useless around here. Threads about pens and watches? Yawn...boring! True, posts about fluffing post counts are useless too, but meant to kinda jab at ourselves for our excessive post counts and meant to take some friendly bashing by other members....it's all good.

"Howabout instead we celebrate valuable, informational posts, since that would actually benefit somebody somewhere."

What's valuable? This is the members lounge! I ain't interested in someone getting their wisdom teeth pulled, quit smoking, quit drinking, went on a diet, etc etc etc. This is all personal stuff i'm not too interested in, but i think it shows that Head-fi has become a comfortable place for many of us in the members lounge. What me and you may deem useless is only an extension of that comfort level, so you can't really attack something like that because in essence you're attacking the very essence of Head-fi.

On the other hand, Head-fi has running quite slow for me, especially the pm system.

Oct 21, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by nanahachi
Free speech is great and everything, gotta love the Internet and the 1st Amendment, but is it really necessary to waste server space/bandwidth/etc with posts by members congratulating themselves for reaching various benchmarks in post counts?

Howabout instead we celebrate valuable, informational posts, since that would actually benefit somebody somewhere.

HERE, HERE! I'm right with ya on this one.
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Ya know, there's a lot more threads i would deem useless around here. Threads about pens and watches? Yawn...boring! True, posts about fluffing post counts are useless too, but meant to kinda jab at ourselves for our excessive post counts and meant to take some friendly bashing by other members....it's all good.

At least those types of threads you mention other people might actually have an interest in, I've been suprised by how many Head-Fiers also seem to have a fetish for pens, it's not my bag of tricks but whatever floats your boat. You gotta admit though posting a thread to pat yourself on the back for an excessive post count is completely pointless at best. Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
...but i think it shows that Head-fi has become a comfortable place for many of us in the members lounge. What me and you may deem useless is only an extension of that comfort level, so you can't really attack something like that because in essence you're attacking the very essence of Head-fi.

Or it could just be a product of how watered down things have become now that some of those interesting "debates" aren't allowed anymore, people post drivel to compensate.
tongue.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 51
what's more useless, the useless post, or the useless post complaining about the useless post?

Oct 21, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 51
I'm not saying every post needs to be an informational one, especially here in the Lounge.

However, I guess I personally find self-congratulatory posts regarding post count to be a sheer waste.

That's my opinion.

Redshifter, i know you're kidding, but that's just spurious.

Oct 21, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Seems kind of grumpy to me. After all, people just like to think they are achieving/accomplishing things in life, making a contribution, etc. Next you'll be wanting to do away with "Happy Birthday" posts.
rolleyes.gif

Here is a paradox for you, nanahachi: Your post about post counts just took up more bandwith debating post counts.
biggrin.gif
(Edit: just saw Redshifter's post)

But, here's my real point: Why is there a post count to begin with? If there weren't, then people wouldn't have anything with which to compare themselves to others. (I suppose you could go by join date, and then celebrate anniversaries, or who has been a member the longest. Which all goes to prove my earlier point that people like to feel they have accomplished things.)

Oct 21, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 51
yeah. i hate it when people post just to pad their post count.

Oct 21, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
yeah. i hate it when people post just to pad their post count.

me too!

Oct 21, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

However, I guess I personally find self-congratulatory posts regarding post count to be a sheer waste.

Here's an idea - if you don't like them don't read them. If its bandwidth you're concerned about I suggest not starting threads such as this one.

Just my opinion of course.

MJ

Oct 21, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #13 of 51
nanahachi, thanks for being willing to tell us all your opinion on this. I'm 100% sure there are many people in agreement, but are hesitant to express it.

I must say, imho I believe most of my posts and threads are a waste of bandwidth
biggrin.gif
. I'm just very thankful for such a diverse and overall friendly community. The forum ain't too bad either.

Oct 21, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
hahaha -- maybe you should drop back down to 934 for that one!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

actually, i probably belong at 173 or so.

Oct 21, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #15 of 51
hey man
i started around the same time as jahn and look at me...not even close to headphoneus supremus...so yeah..i am making some more useless posts these days but also throwing my two cents in and becoming more of the head-fi community...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back