Useless English word
Feb 21, 2016 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been studying different languages and it made me think about the English language too. I have come to realize that the word "farewell" is useless.

I have never used the word "farewell" in conversation. Also I have never heard anyone say that word too. Even in the movies, it's pretty much never used.

If I were to teach someone the English language, I would never teach that word because it's useless.

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 19
My friend, you will not get far in life if you fail to understand that everything in this universe is relative to everything else
wink.gif

Whilst it is true that the word 'farewell' has become less popular in the past few decades, than it used to be, there are plenty who still use it, on occasion.

In short, just because the word seems 'useless', relative to your own daily vocabulary does not necessarily mean that the word is useless, relative to other people' daily vocabularies.

I often wince when I hear Americans using their skewed version of the English language, but... it seems to suit their needs, so, to each their own!
beerchug.gif

PS. I bet you don't often use the words 'whilst', 'wince', & 'skewed'
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 19
  Another useless word in the English language is "merry". Nobody uses that word expect during Christmas.

It seems you don't like the word 'except', either...

It's a shame, really, as it would have been quite useful in your above post
rolleyes.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #15 of 19
Farewell to this thread, I have other threads to peruse so,

Hail, and well met,

Ave and aloha,

Live long and prosper.

The bruit of this posting will echo through this forum and clean out all the detritus which has been ensconced here over the past epochs by means of the besom of common sense, or the mods, whichever is the most applicable.

I am awaiting the re-arrival of the halcyon days of yore when this website was the epitome of good discussion and erudition of variegated points of widely differing opinions.

Alas, it has come to pass, that the prosaic fecundity of opinions expressed here have been ameliorated and truncated into a melange of political corrrectness which has stifled originality and allowed the proliferation of terminology which has accelerated the demise of correct English usage.

Case in point.  "I could care less" is gramatically wrong and obviously the opposite of that which is intended. "I could NOT care less" is the proper phrase.

Also the proliferation of posters who talk of their equipment as gears instead of gear. Gear as a word is a singular collective noun, unlike sheep which can be a singular unit or a singular collective.

The list could go on ad nauseum, but, to refrain from further damage to the awry sensibilities of the posters and readers here, I will refrain from any further attempts at education until such time as this dose has been sufficiently assimilated and allowed to permeate through this forum and find fecund ground to germinate and blossom into a new renaissance of literary expressionism and correct grammatical usage.

Let the cloying and desultory modern expressionism employed by the general public be dispersed and consigned to the outlands of our civilisation where they may be allowed to rot and waste away into oblivion which is their due deserts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back