Useful tip for RS-1/MS-Pro users
Dec 9, 2005 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kontai69

1000+ Head-Fier
I have come up with an elegant way to minimize the chaffing of the cords by the edges of the square notches present in the earcup holders of newer Grado RS-1/MS-Pro headphones (PS-1 also?). This issue was brought up in this past thread...
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ght=rs-1+notch

I used a black foam sheet with an adhesive backing which I found in the arts and crafts section at the local Wal-Mart. It is around 8x12 inches in size, around 2mm thick, and costs around $2. They come in many colors, including bright pink, but I thought that black would best match my MS-Pros.
biggrin.gif

I used a disposable razor blade to cut out a small rectangular piece of foam with the same dimensions of the notch, removed the adhesive backing, and then fitted the piece into the notch. Temporarily sticking the cut piece of foam on the end of a toothpick makes it easier to position it into place. Repeat for other side.

Here is a pic of my treated MS-Pros...
IMG_2736.jpg

The foam is fairly dense and shouldn't compress over time. Also, the adhesive is pretty strong so I think it should stay in place for a while. If it should happen to fall off in the future, I have enough leftover foam to make a thousand more pieces.
biggrin.gif

For you car audio buffs, these foam sheets make an excellent gasket for mounting door speakers.

Dec 9, 2005 at 8:29 AM Post #2 of 5
Good tip.i was thinking at first maybe wrapping a small piece on the cord itself but then i realized that your way looks better.

I guess my RS-1 is the older ones since it has a small notch carved out.

Dec 26, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 5
I just wanted to follow up on this post. It's been a couple of few weeks and the foam pieces are still in place. I also don't notice any further scuffing of the cord. This mod appears to work pretty well.
rs1smile.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 5
kontai69,
I can't pm u.can u open ur mail box?

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good tip.i was thinking at first maybe wrapping a small piece on the cord itself but then i realized that your way looks better.

I guess my RS-1 is the older ones since it has a small notch carved out.

had to look at my RS-1, yes there is a small notch the cord doesn't come in contact with the earcup holder
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back