Used item in the for sale forum.
Jan 5, 2014 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

beemarman

1000+ Head-Fier
Why are the used items in the for sale forum on here so high?

I mean I've seen item advertised for about 5-10% off the new prices and then the seller wonders why it's not selling and keeps bumping the item in order to see if it would sell.

I've seen items that are priced correctly sell in under 1hr on here. Does that not say something about the other items that have been on sale for weeks or even months.

Has anyone else noticed it?

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 30
Hard to answer really.  Some are overpriced - those are generally ones that will sit around a while.  Many are priced correctly - and they move reasonably well.  Most Head-fiers are open to reasonable offers as long as you don't really lowball them.

The one good thing about the FS forum here is that most people "baby" their gear - so condition is usually excellent.

I've been very happy with my buy/sell experience here & will continue to use it.  I definitely don't think the general trend is for pricing to be too high.  YMMV.

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 30
Hard to answer really.  Some are overpriced - those are generally ones that will sit around a while.  Many are priced correctly - and they move reasonably well.  Most Head-fiers are open to reasonable offers as long as you don't really lowball them.

The one good thing about the FS forum here is that most people "baby" their gear - so condition is usually excellent.

I've been very happy with my buy/sell experience here & will continue to use it.  I definitely don't think the general trend is for pricing to be too high.  YMMV.

Beerman sent me a message to inquire about the Burson Conductor I have up for sale. My asking price is £1000. The RRP for a new Conductor in the UK is £1500. Beerman asked me my best price and I told him I would be willing to let it go for £980, inclusive of shipping and PayPal fees. Beerman then said that £20 off was not enough of a reduction, totally ignoring the fact that my original asking price is actually one third of the price cheaper than buying a Conductor new.

I think my price is more than reasonable but Beerman is clearly so outraged that he felt the need to start this thread. I'd like to know what kind of a reduction he expects if £520 off a £1500 item is not good enough for him.

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 30
Explains a lot.  Personally from my POV - 30% reduction is probably about the sweet spot for most offers I've made or bought.  To me that's a pretty good deal considering the general used quality (very good!) on these boards.

Problem is that many of the offers are almost "too tempting" - and I really have enough audio gear already 
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 30
5-10% off the new price happens sometimes, but this is usually because the seller is including an aftermarket cable or some other upgrade. Most items in the FS forum are around 25 - 33% off the new price, as far as I've noticed. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 30
lol - it's called a free market. One side is free to offer an item for sale, the other side is free to buy or pass. IMHO, the new price has very little to do with the used price. Looking at the % discount off the retail price isn't particularly useful. The price settles wherever the buyers and sellers are willing to make the deal. It's the classic supply and demand. A product that is easy to buy new and not particularly popular will have a larger discount when used than a very popular product that is currently in limited new availability.

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 30
Well Tony as an avid FS forum browser I have to say that you have had the Conductor with very  different prices. The lowest I remember was 925 quids . You have had the amp for sale since August last year and your feedback doesn't

indicate that you have actually sold any Conductors in that time span, so I'm assuming you don't have multiple amps for sale.

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #8 of 30
Well Tony as an avid FS forum browser I have to say that you have had the Conductor with very  different prices. The lowest I remember was 925 quids . You have had the amp for sale since August last year and your feedback doesn't

Well, being such an avid FSindicate that you have actually sold any Conductors in that time span, so I'm assuming you don't have multiple amps for sale.

£925 didn't include delivery to the EU or PayPal charges. I had plenty of offers, but I wasn't going to ship to Russia and absorb the PayPal fees out of £925. As an avid browser of the FS forums you'll have noted that the new ad incorporates both delivery within the EU and PP fees so it actually works out cheaper for the buyer.

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #9 of 30

indicate that you have actually sold any Conductors in that time span, so I'm assuming you don't have multiple amps for sale.

Exactly my point. If the item is still for sale after a while then I believe it's priced too high. No point in bumping the thread all the time thinking that somebody might suddenly buy it. If it's priced too high then it wouldn't sell.

By the way your sale wasn't the reason I opened this thread.

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #10 of 30
Exactly my point. If the item is still for sale after a while then I believe it's priced too high. No point in bumping the thread all the time thinking that somebody might suddenly buy it. If it's priced too high then it wouldn't sell.

By the way your sale wasn't the reason I opened this thread.

So you started this thread to complain about sellers only offering a 5%-10% discount, yet my price is too high when I offer a 35% discount? Perhaps I should knock another £800 off my asking price. Do you think that would be fair?

I notice you commenting a lot in the classifieds. All you seem to do is pick fault with the prices people set. If you don't like it, why not let them get on with their sales and stop inquiring? I was selling a brand new and sealed set of Westone 4R IEMs a couple of months ago at £140 less than the UK RRP and you still complained about the price. People aren't going to give away things that they paid a lot of money for just so you can nab a bargain.

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #11 of 30
So you started this thread to complain about sellers only offering a 5%-10% discount, yet my price is too high when I offer a 35% discount? Perhaps I should knock another £800 off my asking price. Do you think that would be fair?

I notice you commenting a lot in the classifieds. All you seem to do is pick fault with the prices people set. If you don't like it, why not let them get on with their sales and stop inquiring? I was selling a brand new and sealed set of Westone 4R IEMs a couple of months ago at £140 less than the UK RRP and you still complained about the price. People aren't going to give away things that they paid a lot of money for just so you can nab a bargain.

I started this thread not because of your high price but because of others as well. I just wanted to know what other members think. I didn't think it was illegal for me to ask for a discount or moan about high prices being charged.

You've been trying to sell that amp since last August and if you believe the price is right then good luck to you, but remember it's only worth what a buyer would pay and not what you think it's worth.

You keep saying you're giving 35% discount, how  did you come to that conclusion? The amp is used, it a model that's been around since 2010.

I'll give you an example. Two years ago I bought a new car for £40000 and I sold it last month for £18000. That's less than 50% off what I paid for it. I wanted £25000 for it,but after trying to sell it for 4 months with no response from the advert I placed in the paper I decided to drop the price to £18000 and the car was then sold within 1 week. It's a fact of life, your item is only worth what somebody is willing to pay. It's the same with anything you want to sell.

The reason I've learnt from the above is not to ever buy a new car. I wish you all the best with your sell.

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #12 of 30
By the way, if you don't like people making offers then you should state clearly in your add that you don't want any offers.

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #13 of 30
lol - it's called a free market. One side is free to offer an item for sale, the other side is free to buy or pass. IMHO, the new price has very little to do with the used price. Looking at the % discount off the retail price isn't particularly useful. The price settles wherever the buyers and sellers are willing to make the deal. It's the classic supply and demand. A product that is easy to buy new and not particularly popular will have a larger discount when used than a very popular product that is currently in limited new availability.

I think this user said it all. Supply and demand is what's it's all about.

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #14 of 30
I'll give you an example. Two years ago I bought a new car for £40000 and I sold it last month for £18000. That's less than 50% off what I paid for it. I wanted £25000 for it,but after trying to sell it for 4 months with no response from the advert I placed in the paper I decided to drop the price to £18000 and the car was then sold within 1 week. It's a fact of life, your item is only worth what somebody is willing to pay. It's the same with anything you want to sell.

The reason I've learnt from the above is not to ever buy a new car. I wish you all the best with your sell.

Seven years ago I bought a new car for ~$35K and it's now worth ~$28-30K with ~30,000 miles on the clock. Does every car retain its value in a similar manner? Of course not! This is a highly specialized, limited production machine that saw a sales floor in the US for one whole model year (no plans to sell mine). Same goes for audio gear. All kinds of stuff out there, some more exclusive than others. Such is life.

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #15 of 30
I started this thread not because of your high price but because of others as well. I just wanted to know what other members think. I didn't think it was illegal for me to ask for a discount or moan about high prices being charged.

You've been trying to sell that amp since last August and if you believe the price is right then good luck to you, but remember it's only worth what a buyer would pay and not what you think it's worth.

You keep saying you're giving 35% discount, how  did you come to that conclusion? The amp is used, it a model that's been around since 2010.

- Nobody said it was illegal, but a lot of sellers state in their ads that lowballers will be ignored. I'll remember to include that the next time I put something up for sale.

- I've been trying to sell it on and off since August but my original ad stated that I was only willing to ship within the UK. I had many offers from potential buyers in the EU which I turned down on account of the Conductor being a heavy unit. Since I've now expanded the shipping area to encompass the whole of the EU, I'm optimistic that I'll find a buyer soon. If not, I will further discount the Conductor or keep it for myself.

- I came to the conclusion that I was giving you a 35% discount on the logic that I offered you the Conductor for £980 - 35% cheaper than the new price of £1500.

- They have not been around since 2010. They were released in late 2012.

- The motor trade is another market altogether, subject to its own fluctuations.

- If I welcomed offers, you would have seen "Or Best Offer" in the ad. As it happens, I'm not averse to sensible offers, but you are on the hunt for bargains that don't exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back