Used item in the for sale forum.
Jan 6, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #16 of 30
Seven years ago I bought a new car for ~$35K and it's now worth ~$28-30K with ~30,000 miles on the clock. Does every car retain its value in a similar manner? Of course not! This is a highly specialized, limited production machine that saw a sales floor in the US for one whole model year (no plans to sell mine). Same goes for audio gear. All kinds of stuff out there, some more exclusive than others. Such is life.

I agree with your comment. The car I had wasn't a car that was in demand, that's why I lost so much money on it.

I've seen people trying to sell the Shure 846 on here for $960 when a new one can be bought easily for $999. :)

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #17 of 30
- Nobody said it was illegal, but a lot of sellers state in their ads that lowballers will be ignored. I'll remember to include that the next time I put something up for sale.

- I've been trying to sell it on and off since August but my original ad stated that I was only willing to ship within the UK. I had many offers from potential buyers in the EU which I turned down on account of the Conductor being a heavy unit. Since I've now expanded the shipping area to encompass the whole of the EU, I'm optimistic that I'll find a buyer soon. If not, I will further discount the Conductor or keep it for myself.

- I came to the conclusion that I was giving you a 35% discount on the logic that I offered you the Conductor for £980 - 35% cheaper than the new price of £1500.

- They have not been around since 2010. They were released in late 2012.

- The motor trade is another market altogether, subject to its own fluctuations.

- If I welcomed offers, you would have seen "Or Best Offer" in the ad. As it happens, I'm not averse to sensible offers, but you are on the hunt for bargains that don't exist.

The buy and sell market is the same for anything you want to sell. It's only worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it. 

House,Cars, Gold, and Oil are all demand and supply. If you were selling a very rare item then somebody would have snapped it up.

I tried to sell my ALO Rx-mk3 on here for £350 but nobody was interested, so I dropped the price to £300 and still nobody was interested so I decided to just keep it. I think it puts people off when a seller has not sold an item in months and still they keep bumping the thread without any big price reduction.

Also, you have to remember a lot more American users are on here, so £1000 is $1654 and to them and  that's a lot money. 

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #18 of 30
http://www.head-fi.org/t/613481/burson-audio-ha-160d-pre-amp-dac-head-amp-warranty-till-may-2014

Isn't this the same amp as yours? He is asking a lot less than yours and even less than 50% of the UK retail price if you convert the currency. It's till available.

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #19 of 30
http://www.head-fi.org/t/613481/burson-audio-ha-160d-pre-amp-dac-head-amp-warranty-till-may-2014

Isn't this the same amp as yours? He is asking a lot less than yours and even less than 50% of the UK retail price if you convert the currency. It's till available.

You're lecturing me about supply and demand and charging too high a price, yet you don't even know the product you're negotiating. This confirms my suspicion that you are not a serious buyer but a time waster on the lookout for an excuse to complain about the prices people are asking for their goods. No, that is not what I'm selling. If you don't know that, why did you inquire in the first place?

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #20 of 30
You're lecturing me about supply and demand and charging too high a price, yet you don't even know the product you're negotiating. This confirms my suspicion that you are not a serious buyer but a time waster on the lookout for an excuse to complain about the prices people are asking for their goods. No, that is not what I'm selling. If you don't know that, why did you inquire in the first place?

Maybe if you were to  give us mere mortals more information on what you're trying to sell, we might then realise that what you're selling is truly a bargain and we have to snap it up quick.
eek.gif

To be honest mate, it's your item and you can advertise it for as much you want. I wanted to buy it and that's why I asked if you're open to offers. To say that I'm a time waster is incorrect. I have sold and bought a lot of items in the past three months alone without any complaints. All the items I've bought have been with me making offers to the sellers and them either agreeing or disagreeing, It's as simple as that.

Good luck and good bye.
beerchug.gif

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #24 of 30
- If I welcomed offers, you would have seen "Or Best Offer" in the ad. As it happens, I'm not averse to sensible offers, but you are on the hunt for bargains that don't exist.

I looked at your ad for the Conductor. You should expect to receive offers because you literally have only one line in it that says "Price includes delivery and PayPal fees". When you don't say anything about accepting offers or not, most people will try to make offers. It's just the nature of online culture today for a lot of people to haggle on anything that they can, especially on something that's nebulous in your case. Heck, I frequently sell items where I specifically say that the price is "firm" yet I still receive attempts at offers myself sometimes. Just the other day I got a PM from someone who called his offer "a token bargaining offer". So it's almost instinctive today for a lot of people to "hunt for bargains that don't exist"—if you were a buyer, wouldn't you do the same to try and pay only what you want to pay and not necessarily what the seller is listing at? That kind of attitude is all too prevalent now and you should expect it to happen; how you respond to such offers will separate you from another seller who's more polite than you.

There's clearly a misunderstanding of Burson's product line-up on the part of both the buyer (beemarman) and seller (Tony1110) here. There's only one amp that Burson currently makes that's called simply the "Conductor", which it appears that the seller owns: http://bursonaudio.com/products.html

There are two lesser SL models that are also cheaper, that use different DAC chips and more-limited feature sets. The HA-160D is an older amp than the Conductor from Burson's first-generation line-up (the Conductor is in the proverbial "second-generation" line-up) and was discontinued in 2012. Visually, the HA-160D looks similar to the Conductor, but there are some key differences and the products are very different internally.

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #26 of 30
It depends - I usually try to simplify the deal. The price I offer is all-inclusive, shipping to my zip and paypal fees. I like to know exactly what I'm paying, and the seller needs to figure out what goes in their pocket.

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #29 of 30
This site has really gone down the tubes in terms of the classifieds as time has progressed.  I pretty much feel cheated both as a buyer and seller about 75% of the time.  Not good.

Beemarman, if the prices are too high and your offers are insulting sellers, maybe you should adjust your expectations.  

When I got started in this hobby part of the beauty of buying and selling gear was that you could often get in and out without much of a financial hit, people also generally took very good care of their gear.  It made it moar funs and less painful.  I guess times have really changed.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #30 of 30
I think that's a natural byproduct of two related trends:

1) Head-Fi has exploded - in the old days the community was much smaller and was more audiophile hobby-oriented. Now, it is dominated by more mainstream, less-audiophile-savvy folks that are buying a new toy and looking for a good deal.
2) The cost of entry into even the midrange of head-fi gear is MUCH more expensive than it was just 10 years ago. A $1500 headphone was considered a stratospheric price - and now the market is becoming crowded with $1000+ headphones. It's one thing to sell a $200 headphone for $100 to a fellow head-fier, but it's a whole other kettle of fish to sell a $1500 headphone for $750.

When I first got into head-fi, a significant part of the buy/sell forums were small business/hobbyists and DIY builds - especially the amp section. Now, you rarely ever see a DIY amp for sale. For better or worse, Fiio and the Chinese eBay sellers destroyed that part of the community. The amp buy/sell used to be full of CMoys, Mini^3, Go-Vibe, PA2V2, Beta22, Starving Student, PIMETA, etc, etc. Now? There's none of that - the amps are either built by nameless eBay sellers, real electronics companies or uber-priced niche players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back