USED HEADPHONE PRICE GUIDE!
Jun 16, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #62 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It really seems more of a business by buying the newest set of headphones just to try for a month or so and sell for the amount you paid for them.

amen!

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #63 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(without the guide, some of those potential buyers will decide not to inquire because they don't know the market value, and others will search for the market value and will inquire; with the thread, assuming it becomes established, a LARGE number of those potential buyers will simply resort to this thread and come to me with the incorrect market value, and these are essentially LOST potential
buyers, and what results is a smaller number of potential buyers)

Oh right. I forgot the "free" in "free market" is a euphemism for protect the seller from all possible contingencies by restricting the flow of information and making it as hard as possible to make an informed purchase.

I'm going to have to go back to college because I was taught that the market decides but now I hear that there is a correct market price that exists despite what things actually sell for. So much for that supply and demand crap I learned.

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #64 of 186
Quote:

As mentioned before, part of the fear is that these people simply point to the thread as living, "factual" proof that my asking price is in fact well-above the low-end range. You can't convince everybody. You have to consider the kind of people that this guide would be marketed towards. People too lazy to spend a couple minutes to run a simple search, and users that are new to Head-Fi and have absolutely 0 zero idea of how much an item is worth. Do you really think that these people will trust the seller's claim on the market value of an item, when this seemingly authentic price guide indicates otherwise?

And I'd say you're giving people too little credit. If people are willing to spend a couple of hundred dollars on a headphone, I'd say it's natural for them to have done the homework beforehand.

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #65 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How so?

I couln't find anyone asking for more than $150 in the fs forum for k340.

If you find one, post it.

I paid more than EUR150 for one pair I bought here. I paid close to USD$200 for another pair. Both pairs have been fully modified and their value has accordingly gone up as well. You know how unlikely for these pairs to pop up here if I can only sell them for $150.

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #66 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by bebanovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At some point I have to say "boo hoo." It's not like the OP wants to open a sweat shop or something.

Did you miss the posts where we said that we realize the OP had good intentions but that this just has to be thought out with more care to detail?

Quote:

Originally Posted by xelloss12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I'd say you're giving people too little credit. If people are willing to spend a couple of hundred dollars on a headphone, I'd say it's natural for them to have done the homework beforehand.

Yet people are still so lazy to use the search engine that they need a price guide and continue to complain that it is impossible to gauge market value when people replace the selling price with "SOLD." There's still a lot of people on here that fit that bill even though we're dealing with very expensive transactions here. A LOT (I'd guess majority) of people use the search engine, but there's still a lot of people that, for some reason, don't want to.

I'd also like to state for the record that I'm not one to sell items for more than their actual market value. I don't rip people off with my prices, and I think with every transaction I've made on here I've sold the item either at the south end of the price range or for less than how much I paid for the item.

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #67 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by xelloss12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

well if they have done their homework, what use is a really broad range given by this thread. Those who would use this are the ones who are uninformed, and thus easily misled.

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #68 of 186
Quote:

People too lazy to spend a couple minutes to run a simple search,

now, these people wouldn't be able to find this thread, would they? The OP isn't asking this thread to made a sticky or anything special.

Why not just write a script that pulls this data from the forums and automatically updates the data? That would be the way to do it.

Also, if people don't like it, then they can feel free to not list the price in their listings, which is their prerogative as well.

Finally, by this logic, why do we stop things such as tube guides? Can't the people who are interested look through the 1,000s of posts on tubes?

Finally, if I was Head-Fi I'd collect this data and make it a pay-for service like Audiogon does ...

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #70 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest1389 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only worry about setting a very broad price range where the low price was much cheaper than the rest, and then people new to buying headphones think that price is reasonable or frequent at all times. And then as the market changes, the prices on this thread are not, and more people are misinformed. I think that is what Azure means by INCORRECT prices.

A reasoned argument. But again, information should not be eliminated based on fears of what people might do with it in the future. They will find out soon enough that no one is parting with a given pair of headphones at that price.

But for the low-priced pair, that was the correct market price when it was sold - for whatever reason. If that puts a little pressure point on the market for a little while, sobeit. It's certainly not the OP's fault and if phones keep selling at the higher price then it all evens out in the end. If amazon lowers its price for new phones below the going used rate (and we know this has happened) will a whine-fest ensue?

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #71 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest1389 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well if they have done their homework, what use is a really broad range given by this thread. Those who would use this are the ones who are uninformed, and thus easily misled.

And why would someone who's uninformed put down a couple of hundred dollars for a headphone? This guide is just one source of information, giving people a ballpark range of how much they have to pay.

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #72 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now, these people wouldn't be able to find this thread, would they? The OP isn't asking this thread to made a sticky or anything special.

If this thread were established, it would VERY likely stay on the front or second page so that it fulfills its purpose and maintains readily accessible. If this thread were meant to fall back into page 4, 5, etc. of Head-Fi, then it would be a moot point as this thread, from how I've interpreted it, is meant to serve as a convenient method of finding the market value of headphones without searching.

Quote:

Also, if people don't like it, then they can feel free to not list the price in their listings, which is their prerogative as well.

The price will have to be revealed sooner or later to the potential buyer, and the potential buyers will be coming expecting $275 for a CD3000 when I tell them $450. Doesn't really make a difference.

Quote:

Finally, by this logic, why do we stop things such as tube guides? Can't the people who are interested look through the 1,000s of posts on tubes?

COMPLETELY different case O_O One deals with market prices/economics, the other deals with mere information (that isn't only market prices).

Quote:

A reasoned argument. But again, information should not be eliminated based on fears of what people might do with it in the future. They will find out soon enough that no one is parting with a given pair of headphones at that price.

I agree that information shouldn't be limited. The problem here is the PRESENTATION of the information lends itself to incorrect interpretation.

Quote:

But for the low-priced pair, that was the correct market price when it was sold - for whatever reason. If that puts a little pressure point on the market for a little while, sobeit. It's certainly not the OP's fault and if phones keep selling at the higher price then it all evens out in the end. If amazon lowers its price for new phones below the going used rate (and we know this has happened) will a whine-fest ensue?

The problem is the presentation of the information. That once in a lifetime low price is carelessly placed as the low-end for the price range of the item. It this is established, using the OP's method, it won't necessarily even out in the end.

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #73 of 186
Quote:

Not true. You have to consider what influences people on whether they are willing to pay the price that an item is selling for. It is their perception of market value that will influence them. If they run spend a few minutes searching to gauge proper market value, then they realize that $450 for a pair of CD3000s is pretty standard (and, considering the current market trend, on the generous side). If they instead take a gander at this price guide, they realize that CD3000s go for as low as $275, so they aren't as willing to buy the headphones anymore.

Ah, now we are getting somewhere.
Who said good debate accomplishes nothing.

It seems you are worried about the extreme cases where the price
(for one reason or another) is really low.

How about I add an average price amount where the difference between highest and lowest is split , and highlighted in red.

Like this:

-k1000 Between (low) $850 and $1200 (high) $1025 Average.

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #74 of 186
Quote:

Did you miss the posts where we said that we realize the OP had good intentions but that this just has to be thought out with more care to detail?

I did edit that out because I thought it was a little over the top, but . . . now that it's out there. I wasn't really questioning the reaction to the OP's intention. It's more to the seeming territorial protection of sellers' rights. "Do it right" is a sentiment far from "delete it" which is what got me on my soap box in the first place.

To "do it right" I say, "indeed" and "let's help."

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #75 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about I add an average price amount where the difference between highest and lowest is split , and highlighted in red.

Like this:

-k1000 Between (low) $850 and $1200 (high) $1025 Average.

Might as well add a median price too, so one ultra low price doesn't drag down the average.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back