USED HEADPHONE PRICE GUIDE!
Jun 16, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #48 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But you lose a lot of potential sellers because they have been influenced by the low-end price posted here. All the lazy people will check here and see that the low-end for a CD3000 is $275, then I will have a MUCH harder time selling my CD3000s for, say, $450.

So...you can't take advantage of lazy people anymore by ganking them on the price....
confused.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #49 of 186
Quote:

but it can become harmful if someone adds that data to a price-range as part of a price guide.

I still don't know how it can be harmful. Harmful that someone lost out on a few bucks?

I am not being a smartass and talking about physically harmful, I am truly wondering what the big deal is about someone knowing the market price of something. It seems everyone here is worried that they will not make as much money on headphone sales and I don't think this will affect it.

Jun 16, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #50 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghingus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So...you can't take advantage of lazy people anymore by ganking them on the price....
confused.gif

No, those lazy people would either be forced to actually search to gauge market price or not buy my stuff because they don't know what is the current market value. No "ganking" at all.

meat01 - I'm not worried about people knowing the market price of something. I'm worried about people knowing the INCORRECT market price of something.

Jun 16, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #51 of 186
Quote:

But you lose a lot of potential sellers because they have been influenced by the low-end price posted here. All the lazy people will check here and see that the low-end for a CD3000 is $275, then I will have a MUCH harder time selling my CD3000s for, say, $450.

I have a feeling market dynamics will still set the price. You will only sell for what you are willing to sell it for, and the buyer will only pay what they are willing to pay.

Quote:

This is a unique case in which the issue lies in other people reading the thread. So, unless you never sell anything on these forums, just ignoring the thread and moving up doesn't work.

Fair point there.

Although I still disagree that this is a bad idea
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #52 of 186
Quote:

Sorry to disappoint you, but Head-Fi's marketplace isn't the free market. It is a marketplace established by Jude that is run and operated by the rules created by both him and the moderating team.

You want it both ways . . . you make points about fair market value - a function of free market capitalism but when I make an argument in this context you want to change the playing field. I think you know what I was arguing.

Also, you keep mentioning the search function but I think the whole point of this thread is a response to the deleted selling prices after sales are completed. Very often, searches result in nada for the particular phone you are pricing.

Lastly,
Quote:

meat01 - I'm not worried about people knowing the market price of something. I'm worried about people knowing the INCORRECT market price of something.

What can INCORRECT market price mean? If someone sells a pair of headphones for that price in the free market, by definition, that is what they are worth. If you refuse an offer for that amount than your headphones are not worth that same price. Information is not deadly.

Jun 16, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #53 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a feeling market dynamics will still set the price. You will only sell for what you are willing to sell it for, and the buyer will only pay what they are willing to pay.

This is a good point and I agree with this. The effect that this thread will have will be most noticeable on items that aren't in heavy demand or don't sell very easily. Items that are more popular and in demand will have a greater base of potential buyers, which tremendously increases the chances of potential sellers that DO know the correct market value (thus this thread has almost no effect for those people). But there are then those people selling items that aren't in heavy demand, in which case the number of potential buyers is more important than in the case of items that are more in demand. In cases where the number of potential buyers is more important, it is even more important that the potential buyers know the correct market value, or else you'll end up losing a number of those potential buyers (without the guide, some of those potential buyers will decide not to inquire because they don't know the market value, and others will search for the market value and will inquire; with the thread, assuming it becomes established, a LARGE number of those potential buyers will simply resort to this thread and come to me with the incorrect market value, and these are essentially LOST potential
buyers, and what results is a smaller number of potential buyers)

Jun 16, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #54 of 186
Thanks OP, for posting this. Though I suggest listing the date sold and value sold for each headphone. That way people can see the market trends.

Quote:

(without the guide, some of those potential buyers will decide not to inquire because they don't know the market value, and others will search for the market value and will inquire; with the thread, assuming it becomes established, a LARGE number of those potential buyers will simply resort to this thread and come to me with the incorrect market value, and these are essentially LOST potential
buyers, and what results is a smaller number of potential buyers).

If they come to you with a price lower than what you are willing to sell for, you can just inform them of that. If they weren't willing to pay that much, they wouldn't have bought your headphones in the first place no matter what..

Jun 16, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #55 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by bebanovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You want it both ways . . . you make points about fair market value - a function of free market capitalism but when I make an argument in this context you want to change the playing field. I think you know what I was arguing.

Fair market value and ensuring that everybody here doesn't get ripped off and that everybody is happy and dandy with the transactions coincides more with Head-Fi's marketplace than the free market.

Quote:

Also, you keep mentioning the search function but I think the whole point of this thread is a response to the deleted selling prices after sales are completed. Very often, searches result in nada for the particular phone you are pricing.

This has been addressed a number of times in the countless "DUR Y DO PPL REPLACE PRICE W/ SOLD?!?" threads. There are more than enough prices left intact to gauge market value. There are also many other resources you can use to gauge market value, such as eBay, Audiogon, and asking the people that replaced the price with "SOLD" how much they sold their item for or what is the fair market price for the item. If by some ridiculously odd chance that NONE of the above work, you can just ask the rest of us. We won't bite
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

What can INCORRECT market price mean? If someone sells a pair of headphones for that price in the free market, by definition, that is what they are worth. If you refuse an offer for that amount than your headphones are not worth that same price. Information is not deadly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xelloss12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they come to you with a price lower than what you are willing to sell for, you can just inform them of that. If they weren't willing to pay that much, they wouldn't have bought your headphones in the first place no matter what..

See my previous post.

Jun 16, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #56 of 186
Quote:

See my previous post.

You mean the post that I was responding to? ...

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #57 of 186
I believe many of you are still ingoring a large aspect of setting prices: the condition. Not only will the price depend on supply and demand, but also that these are USED headphones that are often not in perfect condition. If this thread were to be used, i guarantee you most of the low prices given were on headphones that were old and worn out at least. The people who would actually use this guide would be the ones who don't spend much time researching headphones, and then it is harmful to those people because they are misled. They see a low price of, as I gave an example earlier, 30 dollars on an sr60, and then wait for a price on the F/S forum that is 30 dollars. However, that pair was sold that cheap because the previous owner was a smoker. Now he sees a pair for 50 dollars for a pair in perfect condition, and misses out on a good deal because he is misinformed.

For this to be useful, the price range would have to be based only on good condition headphones, then has some remarks as to what price range is actually common, and then be updated regularly. Otherwise it is almost useless and possibly harmful.
I don't mean to jump on the OP as he had good intentions, but this may have to be thought through more before it is put into use.

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #58 of 186
Quote:

You mean the post that I was responding to? ...

Ha, my bad, things were getting a little hectic.

As mentioned before, part of the fear is that these people simply point to the thread as living, "factual" proof that my asking price is in fact well-above the low-end range. You can't convince everybody. You have to consider the kind of people that this guide would be marketed towards. People too lazy to spend a couple minutes to run a simple search, and users that are new to Head-Fi and have absolutely 0 zero idea of how much an item is worth. Do you really think that these people will trust the seller's claim on the market value of an item, when this seemingly authentic price guide indicates otherwise?

Quote:

If they weren't willing to pay that much, they wouldn't have bought your headphones in the first place no matter what..

Not true. You have to consider what influences people on whether they are willing to pay the price that an item is selling for. It is their perception of market value that will influence them. If they run spend a few minutes searching to gauge proper market value, then they realize that $450 for a pair of CD3000s is pretty standard (and, considering the current market trend, on the generous side). If they instead take a gander at this price guide, they realize that CD3000s go for as low as $275, so they aren't as willing to buy the headphones anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest1389 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mean to jump on the OP as he had good intentions, but this may have to be thought through more before it is put into use.

I'd like to emphasize this statement. I mean no bad ill to the OP, and I realize he had very good intentions with this thread (especially considering the work he spent researching the prices for all the headphones). There are just many things to consider when making a price guide.

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #59 of 186
Quote:

Thanks OP, for posting this. Though I suggest listing the date sold and value sold for each headphone. That way people can see the market trends.

And then this would have to be updated frequently. It seems like to combine all this for all headphones is more work than it is worth, as searching the F/S forums doesn't take long. If youre up for doing this, go right ahead I'm sure many would appreciate it. I only worry about setting a very broad price range where the low price was much cheaper than the rest, and then people new to buying headphones think that price is reasonable or frequent at all times. And then as the market changes, the prices on this thread are not, and more people are misinformed. I think that is what Azure means by INCORRECT prices.

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #60 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest1389 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And then this would have to be updated frequently. It seems like to combine all this for all headphones is more work than it is worth, as searching the F/S forums doesn't take long. If youre up for doing this, go right ahead I'm sure many would appreciate it. I only worry about setting a very broad price range where the low price was much cheaper than the rest, and then people new to buying headphones think that price is reasonable or frequent at all times. And then as the market changes, the prices on this thread are not, and more people are misinformed. I think that is what Azure means by INCORRECT prices.

Yes, that is what I meant by "INCORRECT market value." Thanks for clearing that up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back