Used earphones/IEM's/hygiene- is it kosher to resell them?
Dec 17, 2009 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BIGHMW

100+ Head-Fier
Continuing from and inspired by this topic http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/use...ygiene-461365/ I decided to make a separate topic and ask all of you...

Is it OK to sell used earphones/IEM's, even if great care of the units and eartips (including sterilzing the silicone tips if so included) is utilized?

Note that I use both disinfectant towelettes (like Clorox and Lysol make) and/or anti-bacterial liquid soap to clean and/or sanitize the tips (if silicone or rubber) and earpieces to prevent even myself from getting something, although I am the only one who would be using them.

In this day and age of the Swine Flu, one can not be too careful.

Dec 17, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 10
As long as you explicitly state they're used tips (and whatever relevant ailments you might have), I don't see a big deal.

You can also take the price of new tips into account, and adjust your sale value according. Or buy a new pair yourself before selling.

Dec 17, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGHMW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In this day and age of the Swine Flu, one can not be too careful.

If you're buying used IEMs you should use your own tips and disinfect it before using, you shouldn't need to worry about it beyond that.

Viruses are virtually no concern. The H1N1 virus only survives without a human host for a few hours (and you have to breathe them in) and HIV can only last a few seconds on a surface. Others can potentially last longer and we still have bacteria to worry. You should already be disinfecting your own IEMs every so often just to keep them clean, so TBH there isn't too much of an issue.

Dec 17, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Swine flu is such a joke.

I agree. In my view, even though I voted for Obama, I myself think the so-called "swine flu" is nothing more than a hoax used to scare naive people into getting "vaccinated" to prevent from getting it without taking into account to find out what the side effects are of receiving a dose of the vaccine.

As for the eartip idea, I do think you have a very valid point in that. I would only sell new, unused tips before ever selling them on the open market.

Of course, if you own a set of 3rd-generation (MDR-EX300/500/700/NC33/NC300D) N.U.D.E EX IEM's it would be too expensive to get replacement tips (of all 7 sizes BTW) for them from the Sony DAPC site, so it wouldn't be worthy to even think of selling them.

Now of course if you own a pair of Koss IEM's (what!), tips are always readily available everywhere including Koss' own site, so there would be no worries about transmitting anything.

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGHMW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. In my view, even though I voted for Obama, I myself think the so-called "swine flu" is nothing more than a hoax.

What do you mean? (sorry if it's too political, I'll try to be apolitisch)

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean? (sorry if it's too political, I'll try to be apolitisch)

Sigh...most people browsing this board don't need to worry about it, but it doesn't mean it is a hoax. I had it, and I'm healthy so I got over it but it was like a regular flu x10. The people that needed to worry about it are small children and individuals with respiratory problems as it hit it a bit harder than a regular flu. People who dispute the vaccine are a bit uninformed if they refuse to preventively vaccinate their child with a respiratory condition, the risk of death is much higher than any side effect of the vaccine.

I don't even know how people can honestly say that the government was duping people into getting the vaccine when most people weren't even able to get it when the frenzy was at its highest. A lot of shipments were late and a lot of hospitals were prioritizing the limited supply they had on hand (I work in one). If this was a conspiracy, it was one of the most poorly executed conspiracies I've ever seen.

To stay on-topic: no, you will not get swine flu from someone else's tips being mailed to you.

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

I agree. In my view, even though I voted for Obama, I myself think the so-called "swine flu" is nothing more than a hoax used to scare naive people into getting "vaccinated" to prevent from getting it without taking into account to find out what the side effects are of receiving a dose of the vaccine.

double-facepalm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back