Used car for under $4000?
May 22, 2010 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking at getting my first daily driver. My short list currently consists of old model integras and civics. I've been driving my dad's auto SUV for the past six years and I would like to try and learn stick. Any recommendations, I live in MA and my budget is 4K including maintenance, repairs, replacements. 

May 22, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 27
Just find a local used car lot, and haggle them down - theyre all hurting lately, and will do anything to make a sale

i bought my 1995 corolla 3 years ago for $1500 cash - great investment, when you consider that it has only cost $500/year for the car, plus 30mpg efficiency, it is probably the most cost effective driving experience EVER

May 23, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 27
The cheapest (respectable) used car dealership I've ever seen is Blue Knob Auto. They manage to keep prices so low because unlike every other car dealership I've seen, they make money on quantity of sales - 700+ cars sold per month. Turnover is often a day or less. Absolutely ridiculous.  I bought a car from them last year. What I paid then is still less than what the car is worth now, including all the miles I've added on.

If you can manage the drive to one of their two locations, I would highly recommend it.

May 23, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 27
wow, all the vehicles on that link use an automatic transmission...I guess you guys don't like it manual in the US? can you pass your driving test on an automatic and not even know how to use a manual?

May 23, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #6 of 27
^Yes, you don't need to know hot to operate a manual shifter to have a license. In fact, in many states, if you are over 18 years of age, you don't even need to pass a driving test. You just come in, fill out some forms, take a short *written* test that any 5th grader could pass, and you get a license.

May 23, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #7 of 27
^And that's why 90% of drivers are a bunch of impatient non signaling maniacs.

May 23, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 27
Found something very affordable and attractive in a "my grandfather probably drove something like this" kinda way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Replica-Kit-Makes-1929-Gazelle-Mercedes-Deluxe-Convertible-/320535142800?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4aa1622190

May 23, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #9 of 27

Quote:
^And that's why 90% of drivers are a bunch of impatient non signaling maniacs.

True that.

But it's cool that you want to learn stick Kirosia. I started enjoying driving a lot more after getting a manual transmission.
To add to the topic, I would recommend checking craigslist, which I think you've probably already been doing. Also, if you find something that seems nice, take it to an independent mechanic and have them give it a look over. You probably already knew that too.
smile_phones.gif

May 23, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #10 of 27
I've always been a fan of little cars.  A nice Geo, or a Justy, or a Tercel...  Those kind of things.  Maybe even a nice 2000 Sunfire.  Manual drive, and no power windows should push a model like that to your price range.

That said, I got my 2000 Impala for a STEAL at $6000 five years ago, and I love it.

On the topic of Standard vs Automatic, I'm pretty sure all NA licenses don't require you drive both/standard.  And I hate driving in most cities.  If I go out in rush hour in Nanaimo, I'm almost hit each time.  That said, I'd still probably prefer to drive a standard, if the feature was still available on bigger cars.  I likes my four door boats.

May 23, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #12 of 27
Let me give you one piece of advice somebody should have smashed into my head when I had a small budget and was buying used cars.

The NUMBER ONE priority on your list should be a car that is reliable and that is easy/cheap to repair if it does break.  All those things like "fun to drive," "sporty," "cool looking" and stuff goes out the window.  Nothing is more frustrating than a car that breaks down and is expensive to fix - doesn't matter how nice it looks or how much fun it is.  Even if you get a used Ferrari for $3000, it's going to drive you nuts if it breaks every month.

A car that fits this important requirement really well is the Corolla.  They are well built, extremely reliable, and Toyota put a lot of thought when they designed the maintenance items.  Changing the oil is easy, changing the accessory belt(s) is simple, etc.  A lot of this basic work can be done yourself because it's quite simple.  Even changing the brakes is pretty easy (compared to some cars).

As for manual versus automatic, remember that clutches on manuals need to be replaced around 100K-150K miles.  A mechanic will charge $600+ for a clutch replacement.  A good automatic transmission will last the life of the car (if you change the fluid at regular intervals), and the Corolla transmission is typically well built.  Just keep in mind that many automatics are poorly made (Just about every Taurus) and will fail at under 100K miles and cost a bundle $1500+ to replace.

The Civic and Integra are also well built cars that are easier to fix.  The Integra is basically a civic in a fancy skin, so you can get Honda branded parts and use them in the Integra.  This will save you a bit of money during repairs.

Finally, try to find a good mechanic and take any car in for an inspection before you buy.  They'll be able to look over the car and tell you if something is going to break soon, which is really important.

Hope all this helps.

May 23, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #13 of 27
^ Very good advice that.

Driving stick is the only way to drive :D

May 23, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #14 of 27
My manual Corolla is twenty years old and it's still going.  Driving a manual car makes me more alert and awake.  Hopefully my next car will be another Corolla.

May 23, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #15 of 27
yes, we don't like automatic cars in Europe coz I believe some statistics were proving that ppl were getting more sleepy on those...a manual gearbox forces you to stay alert indeed, and allows a far more "sporty" drive.

even though it's so easy to get a licence in some states, I presume ppl still spend 20/30H in a driving school? you can't learn how to drive a car overnight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back