Used as a DAC via line out, any sound difference between Gryphon, iDSD signature and Diablo1-2?
Dec 20, 2023 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Loftprojection

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone has experience with a few of those iFi DAC/AMP that could comment on the DAC only use through an external amp (portable or desktop)? They all use Burr Brown chips, maybe not the same one though so I assume there are small differences and refinements? Or if you have used another competitor like XD-05 Pro, H7... I'm interested by the sound differences you experienced. Many thanks.

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 4
Also, the Micro iDSD is listed as having "bit perfect" output on the side "filter switches", is that the same as NOS? Did you find it the best sounding option of the 3 switches? Thanks.

Dec 23, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #3 of 4
When iFi said 'Burr Brown chips', they are definitely talking about the same exact DAC chip. The difference is that iFi uses more than one DAC chips in their higher end models but usually keeps to one single DAC chip in their lower end models. I had have multiple iFi models of that DAC chip and I can at least say they all have very similar sound signature, which is kinda iFi's house sound and on the organic + analog side of things.

...and yes, Bit Perfect usually means NOS on iFi's gears, but not always. Sometimes iFi will change / replace the filters over firmware update so what used to be a certain filter might change to a different filter after firmware update even if the external switch still said bit perfect or otherwise.

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #4 of 4
When iFi said 'Burr Brown chips', they are definitely talking about the same exact DAC chip. The difference is that iFi uses more than one DAC chips in their higher end models but usually keeps to one single DAC chip in their lower end models. I had have multiple iFi models of that DAC chip and I can at least say they all have very similar sound signature, which is kinda iFi's house sound and on the organic + analog side of things.

...and yes, Bit Perfect usually means NOS on iFi's gears, but not always. Sometimes iFi will change / replace the filters over firmware update so what used to be a certain filter might change to a different filter after firmware update even if the external switch still said bit perfect or otherwise.
Hey thanks a lot for a this info, appreciated. On the iDSD signature finale and the Diablo 1-2 they say PCM and DSD are treated « bit perfect » but if I remember well some years ago they were advertising a NOS output option, maybe I justed dreamed that also! Haha

I’m really desperate to find a transportable DAC to feed my extraordinary Woo WA8 but one that would have a sound signature similar to my desktop, a tube buffer NOS TDA1541A DAC (MHDT Orchid). I’ve been waiting for one of them to come up with a transportable R2R DAC/AMP but it’s not coming, Shanling, iFi, Xduo… they have several nice transportable DAC/AMP but all with the regular AKM-ESS chips. So I was thinking that the « NOS » output from a BurrBrown chip might be my best bet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back