USB wifi dongle that works in Ubuntu
Apr 21, 2009 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
My PCI wireless card died last week, and I had to make a run to Fry's from work. I decided I wanted a USB one this time. I didn't know which USB dongles were linux compatible, so I went with my "the cheapest one is most likely" theory of linux compatibility and bought a Trendnet TEW-424UB which auto-detected and worked, but seems to disconnect every day or two. Nothing a quick unplug and replug can't fix, but also something I'm not resigning myself to. Does anyone know of a cheap USB wifi (g) dongle that works good in 64bit Ubuntu?

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 8
not sure if there's any difference with 64bit ubuntu but i've used these 2 with no problems in ubuntu 8.04

LINKSYS WUSB54GC
BELKIN F5D7050

in fact the belkin adapter worked better in ubuntu than it did in windows (in windows it would randomly disconnect and actually need to be unplugged and plugged back in to get it working again.. no problems at all in ubuntu)

the linksys works equally well on both

Apr 25, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 8
I ordered a usb 802.11n adapter on ebay, from a seller in hong kong. It was branded "Jensen" and luckily for me, it turned out to have the Ralink RT2870 chipset - which has open source linux drivers avaiable. I checked out the seller's current auctions and found that the Jensen wifi adapters are no longer being sold. However, the seller is now listing unbranded wireless adapters which look exactly the same and have the exact same description. Feel like taking an inexpensive gamble?
biggrin.gif

USB Wireless N 802.11N WiFi LAN Network Adapter 802.11G - eBay (item 370190799490 end time Apr-27-09 20:21:00 PDT)

Apr 28, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 8
Basically you just look at a wifi adaptor and google to find out what chip it uses to see if it Ubuntu support it. Most Ralink and Realtek chips is linux supported. I remembered I get disconnect from Ubuntu 8 all the time. And those usb stick wifi dongle can get really hot. I have no problem with 1 day disconnect, I remembered getting disconnected every 15minutes.

I own a Rosewill N2X which also uses the RT2870, which is detected by the new Ubuntu9, but I don't think it does with 8. It's more expensive though and not as portable, because it has two antenna, I'm using it with two 8dbi rosewill antenna for great signals.

I stay away from Belkin. Overpriced and uninspired design. They're not as good as Belden cables, despite the similar name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back