Usb to Spdif Question
Feb 2, 2011 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Speedv1

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I just wanted to check. I want to add a line out of sorts to my Macbook Pro. I would then be connecting that to my Fiio e5 and then to my headphone of choice. I will be getting a better amp at some point, but this is where I'm starting (Fiio E5). Will this product work:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829118007&cm_re=usb_to_spdif-_-29-118-007-_-Product

Thanks a lot!

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 9
Your MacBook Pro has an optical output built into the headphone socket. All you need is a mini-optical cable. However, the E3 is only an analogue amplifier, it doesn't have a DAC, so it's irrelevant.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Your MacBook Pro has an optical output built into the headphone socket. All you need is a mini-optical cable. However, the E3 is only an analogue amplifier, it doesn't have a DAC, so it's irrelevant.

Oh, ok - so I need one of those toslink adapters (ends up with an optical adapter) but the Fiio E5 simply doesn't have an input for optical. Is there any usb to spdif that I could get for my Macbook - I'm just trying to bypass any system sounds that seem to sometimes pass through the headphone output.

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Quote:

Oh, ok - so I need one of those toslink adapters (ends up with an optical adapter) but the Fiio E5 simply doesn't have an input for optical. Is there any usb to spdif that I could get for my Macbook - I'm just trying to bypass any system sounds that seem to sometimes pass through the headphone output.

By outputting a digital signal, the optical output on your Macbook  "bypass[es] any system sounds".

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

By outputting a digital signal, the optical output on your Macbook  "bypass[es] any system sounds".

So best bet is to get an amp/dac that accepts optical in?

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 9
That's right.

Are you getting "system sounds" with your E5?

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #8 of 9
Yes, get an amp with built in DAC (loads out there).
You may be better going for USB rather than optical for better value.
Once you have this, in audio properties, you can choose to send system sounds to the internal sound card and audio to the DAC.  This works really well.

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Yes, get an amp with built in DAC (loads out there).
You may be better going for USB rather than optical for better value.
Once you have this, in audio properties, you can choose to send system sounds to the internal sound card and audio to the DAC.  This works really well.

Just bought the fiio E7 - so I'm good now, thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back