USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All (at least for me)
Jan 18, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #331 of 573
  Found this. Not sure if it has been discussed. 

http://www.virtins.com/USB2ISO.shtml

Seems similar to the Jitterbug, iFI also have a couple of USB dongles:

The iSilencer 3.0  http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-isilencer3-0/

The iDefender 3.0  http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-idefender3-0/

So much choice...we need one USB dongle / solution to rule them all!

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #332 of 573
Guys any input on RCA/RCA coaxial cable lenght to be used with Singxer?

Some say that 5ft (1,5mt) is the MINIMUM to avoid "signal reflection", but Chord state on MoJo/HuGo page to use coax cable of MAX 5tf(1,5mt) to avoid connection problem.

Where's the truth? I would go for what Chord recommend...

Hmm im using just around 25cm 75ohm belden 1694A with canare BNC 75ohm and canare rca adapter.I think using ifi spdif ipurifier will supplant the need of hi-end expensive long coax cable.

Anyone has a view on that or correct me?

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #333 of 573
  Hi, 
FYI, this is the answer from DIYINHK regarding the Pro3z :
- availability : back in stock in the "coming weeks".
Let's say it will be available after the Chinese New Year events
- power : "external 5v should be better, but if the power from your USB is good enough, the different can be small"

That's good to hear - I hope they improved the quality of the power switch (switches from ext DC and USB) - mine failed on one of the Pro3a I had.

Also it would be nice if they would supply the pins for the i2s - like Singxer does.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #334 of 573
Hmm im using just around 25cm 75ohm belden 1694A with canare BNC 75ohm and canare rca adapter.I think using ifi spdif ipurifier will supplant the need of hi-end expensive long coax cable.

Anyone has a view on that or correct me?

Doubt that seriously.  As a system gets more resolving the differences in digital cables becomes more and more apparent. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #335 of 573
  thank for your information.

but i do not know where to get this MEIYAN LPS.

How is the quality of TERADAK ? I would to use teradak lps at REX and fanless pc. but do not know if this quality is ok for this super chain.

at your post : 341
I think my solution will be a 4GB SLC - and two 256GB PNY USB sticks

at taobao, i found some SLC 64 GB, read 320m , write 213m price: china dollars 215.00
if i want  to install the o/s at this slc usb sticker ,
another 2 slots, just buy cheap slow usb 2.0 usb stick to store music. does it work?

thank you. 

Here is where you can get the MEIYAN (see the beginning page on where it's discrete design originated).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131867485038?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's $152 - Can be configured to 24VDC @3.3A.  More then enough current at that voltage.  MOSFET discrete regulation mounted in a very nice heatsink fanned case.
The noise is rated at 13uv - very low for this level of voltage and output.

Here is the TeraDak DC-30W - it does not have enough current to put out the min 1.5A @ 24VDC. It's $139.  Be careful as there are two designs - the newer one uses a discrete Jung regulation scheme.  No noise figures given.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-DC-30W-TOUCH-DC9V-2-5A-Hi-Fi-For-Audio-Linear-Power-Supply-/130906580297?hash=item1e7aa3e549:g:5UoAAOxyo4lRjkus

To get a TeraDak that can put out the required 24VDC - you need this one: $280 no noise numbers given
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-DC24V-6A-Audiophile-Hifi-DC-200W-Linear-Power-Supply-/322392663292?hash=item4b1019a4fc:g:I5MAAOSwUfNXSqFD

Be very careful when buying any high capacity USB stick from China - many are fake.  Or have fake capacity hacked to show much higher.
No Ebay or Amazon (do some research).  Buy only from reputable electronic dealers/distributors like Digikey.  A 32GB SLC USB is $260 - they have no 64GB SLC available.  A 32GB mircoSD SLC is $315

But yes you can use a very high capacity USB stick - like the PNY 256GB - they are $50.  The SQ is very good and better then a internal SSD or HDD.  I have not tried an external Thunderbolt or PCIe SSD.  That would require another expensive cable and another LPS - aside from the PCIe/SATA case.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #336 of 573
  Found this. Not sure if it has been discussed. 

http://www.virtins.com/USB2ISO.shtml

Full speed USB  - need High Speed.

There is this one - but I have not tried it
http://hifimediy.com/high-speed-usb-isolator-480Mbps

Dung... I totally missed this one and I compulsively bought a Singxer F-1 last night.

Hope I won't regret it... finger crossed for Singxer better than Pro3z!! 
beyersmile.png

I hope to have a Pro3z to compare.  They are both very reasonably priced.

Then wait for Singxer XU216 version. I like the casing of Singxer:grin:

There is no real advantage to the XU216 vs XU208 for audio SR's under 384K.  The XU216 can do 768K - have many of those files?  DAC that can process that?

Guys any input on RCA/RCA coaxial cable lenght to be used with Singxer?

Some say that 5ft (1,5mt) is the MINIMUM to avoid "signal reflection", but Chord state on MoJo/HuGo page to use coax cable of MAX 5tf(1,5mt) to avoid connection problem.

Where's the truth? I would go for what Chord recommend...

Here is the comment from the Audio Sensibilities webpage -they recommend 1.5M.  I have there very good Silver Statement 1.5M Digital for sale in the classifieds.
http://audiosensibility.com/blog/information/frequently-asked-questions/

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #337 of 573
  Seems similar to the Jitterbug, iFI also have a couple of USB dongles:

The iSilencer 3.0  http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-isilencer3-0/

The iDefender 3.0  http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-idefender3-0/

They all do different things - why USB is such a pain to get right,

But none of these do USB GI.

But one super USB gizmo is coming - I hope soon - that will do many things. 

I have some insider info on that - but it won't surplant the Startech USB/Ethernet solution.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #338 of 573

Yes, - when there is so much "wrong" with the USB bus, - it takes a lot to "fix" all the issues. My choice of words isn't the best here, as what is being "discovered" is that the USB bus has both it's benefits & it's drawbacks as a carrier for audio: especially high-end audio. And, if one is just using the USB bus for what it is originally designed for, - there is nothing to "fix."

There are single products being designed and built, and others that have been in the market for years, that address & mitigate these multiple issues. IMO, high end audio designer/manufacturers have really dug into these issues & learned a great deal, (sometimes through checking computer industry products already released on the market).

The StarTech/Icron/LanRover products have been out for a few years in several different forms, designed to extend the USB "ports" over a LAN. For high end audio, we're already starting to see these "single purpose" USB devices become obsolete. They are very good for what they do, but as you say, - only perform one of the several functions needed. One of their more important functions with high-end audio, - is to get your noisy multifunction computer far away from the audio equipment in one's rack. If you're not doing this, - you're not really utilizing the device(s) to its fullest potential IMO.

Cheers,

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #339 of 573

Here is where you can get the MEIYAN (see the beginning page on where it's discrete design originated).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131867485038?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's $152 - Can be configured to 24VDC @3.3A.  More then enough current at that voltage.  MOSFET discrete regulation mounted in a very nice heatsink fanned case.
The noise is rated at 13uv - very low for this level of voltage and output.

Here is the TeraDak DC-30W - it does not have enough current to put out the min 1.5A @ 24VDC. It's $139.  Be careful as there are two designs - the newer one uses a discrete Jung regulation scheme.  No noise figures given.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-DC-30W-TOUCH-DC9V-2-5A-Hi-Fi-For-Audio-Linear-Power-Supply-/130906580297?hash=item1e7aa3e549:g:5UoAAOxyo4lRjkus

To get a TeraDak that can put out the required 24VDC - you need this one: $280 no noise numbers given
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-DC24V-6A-Audiophile-Hifi-DC-200W-Linear-Power-Supply-/322392663292?hash=item4b1019a4fc:g:I5MAAOSwUfNXSqFD

Be very careful when buying any high capacity USB stick from China - many are fake.  Or have fake capacity hacked to show much higher.
No Ebay or Amazon (do some research).  Buy only from reputable electronic dealers/distributors like Digikey.  A 32GB SLC USB is $260 - they have no 64GB SLC available.  A 32GB mircoSD SLC is $315

But yes you can use a very high capacity USB stick - like the PNY 256GB - they are $50.  The SQ is very good and better then a internal SSD or HDD.  I have not tried an external Thunderbolt or PCIe SSD.  That would require another expensive cable and another LPS - aside from the PCIe/SATA case.

少帅音响(TeraDak)Apple苹果ibookG4 HiFi发烧线性电源/24V/2.5A

i found this one teradak lps, it is for ibookg4 with 24v 2.5 a, do you think it is ok to go?

thank you.

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #340 of 573

Yes, - when there is so much "wrong" with the USB bus, - it takes a lot to "fix" all the issues. My choice of words isn't the best here, as what is being "discovered" is that the USB bus has both it's benefits & it's drawbacks as a carrier for audio: especially high-end audio. And, if one is just using the USB bus for what it is originally designed for, - there is nothing to "fix."

There are single products being designed and built, and others that have been in the market for years, that address & mitigate these multiple issues. IMO, high end audio designer/manufacturers have really dug into these issues & learned a great deal, (sometimes through checking computer industry products already released on the market).

The StarTech/Icron/LanRover products have been out for a few years in several different forms, designed to extend the USB "ports" over a LAN. For high end audio, we're already starting to see these "single purpose" USB devices become obsolete. They are very good for what they do, but as you say, - only perform one of the several functions needed. One of their more important functions with high-end audio, - is to get your noisy multifunction computer far away from the audio equipment in one's rack. If you're not doing this, - you're not really utilizing the device(s) to its fullest potential IMO.

Cheers,

Good points - but I'd add that USB is a PIA but when it's done right the results are nothing less then breathtaking good.  Not easy to get to that level - but it is finally available now.  A few years back - there just wasn't the gizmos/gear to get there.  Not saying it can;t get better still - but at what cost and maybe just incremental.  I find it hard to believe it can much better - the level of SQ is so great.  Just smokes those $5K MC carts and $20K turntables and phono pre-amp chains.  At least that's my experience.

I guess that a complete one box solution may never be had - that is the optimum.  As was my experience with Rednet AOIP - made better with a SPDIF Mutec reclocker - then an ext OCX external Antelope Wclock.  That's as far as I got  - but then an Atomic Rubidum clock ($5K) could be added to the Antelope OCX, then replacing the SMPS with LPS's ----and on it goes.  Then still no resolution over 192k, difficult SR switching on the fly (with an ext Wclock configuration as mentioned), no i2s, etc..

In the end the cost just gets crazy...I was able to exceed the SQ by a very significant amount for less cost then a 16D.

So what I'm saying in high fi land  - nothing is optimal.  Oh you should see the lengths that the analog guys go through!  At least we don't need expensive LP baths and vacuums - de-statizers, de-magnetizers - and that's just for the recording medium!

One of the great discoveries is that the Startech/ICRON (but not the LanRover) can do dual duty - both to enhance the USB data stream SQ - but also to provide an excellent vehicle for music file storage and playback.  Two birds with one stone.  So any investment in let's say a LPS goes along way, or a better USB cable, etc...

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #342 of 573
 So what I'm saying in high fi land  - nothing is optimal.

Totally agree....

I think that it took the high end audio guys a long time to jump on board because they didn't know about computers, and that modifying multi-function computers and optimizing them was such a daunting task so far outside their area of expertise. The proliferation of those small, more single purpose computers in the "internet of things," - (or Internet of ****), - helped.

The fundamental rule of high end audio in the past has been to isolate, separate, & simplify the "system" into separate components that are of superior quality. (No more receivers: separate the amp from the tuner, separate the integrated amp into a pre-amp and power amp).

With digital file playback, - we can't forget the importance of hardware, - and the noise issues, or signal integrity issues that come with preemptive multitasking. A computer that is great for doing 100 things, isn't going to be great for doing 1 thing: high end audio. Strip that thing down to only what is essential, and try to make those essential elements as high quality as possible.

Once people started replacing those horrible, bleeding, SMPS power supplies in PCs, or installing a 1 port USB card in the PCI bus, etc., they started realizing the same kind of SQ benefits that were realized long ago by separating analog components. Speaking for myself, these noisy USB bus mitigation devices like the Intona, Regen, iPurifier, etc, - showed/proved that a bus designed for mice, keyboards, hard drives, cameras, etc. & a lot of them, - really needed "help" or even reduced to just one port if it was going to be used as an audio carrier for SOTA playback. 

It totally makes sense that there will soon be a great combo box that will perform 4 or 5 of the functions that we're using 4 boxes for now....

Cheers...

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #343 of 573
  Totally agree....

I think that it took the high end audio guys a long time to jump on board because they didn't know about computers, and that modifying multi-function computers and optimizing them was such a daunting task so far outside their area of expertise. The proliferation of those small, more single purpose computers in the "internet of things," - (or Internet of ****), - helped.

The fundamental rule of high end audio in the past has been to isolate, separate, & simplify the "system" into separate components that are of superior quality. (No more receivers: separate the amp from the tuner, separate the integrated amp into a pre-amp and power amp).

With digital file playback, - we can't forget the importance of hardware, - and the noise issues, or signal integrity issues that come with preemptive multitasking. A computer that is great for doing 100 things, isn't going to be great for doing 1 thing: high end audio. Strip that thing down to only what is essential, and try to make those essential elements as high quality as possible.

Once people started replacing those horrible, bleeding, SMPS power supplies in PCs, or installing a 1 port USB card in the PCI bus, etc., they started realizing the same kind of SQ benefits that were realized long ago by separating analog components. Speaking for myself, these noisy USB bus mitigation devices like the Intona, Regen, iPurifier, etc, - showed/proved that a bus designed for mice, keyboards, hard drives, cameras, etc. & a lot of them, - really needed "help" or even reduced to just one port if it was going to be used as an audio carrier for SOTA playback. 

It totally makes sense that there will soon be a great combo box that will perform 4 or 5 of the functions that we're using 4 boxes for now....

Cheers...

Yes - i agree will all that.

I think what has propelled this once laughed at source - is the 'Moore's Law' of computing power per dollar of cost.  But beyond Moore's Law in CPU's is it's even greater consequence on storage costs  - flash memory in particular.  So opening the path for this level of audio playback.  Likewise the rise of low cost very high power FPGA IC's - like the Xilinx SPARTAN 6 used by Chord in their DAC's and in the Startech devices.

So project this out in 5yrs - even better and cheaper.

The key for digital audio and computer audio in general has been the recognition of the importance of clean power supplies.  The big advances there.  So rather then focusing on Amp/Pre-amp/Tuner/Phono Pre as in olden days - it's now about breaking out parts of the chain that generate noise (USB packet noise) and feeding each step with very clean power.

beerchug.gif

BTW had a PCIe USB PPA V2 card - was not really impressed by it.

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #344 of 573
Rob sorry for the offtopic but after reading so much about power supplies I´m thinking my Geek Pulse XFI DAC would most likely benefit from a quality LPS, as far as specs all I could find was a power input for the Pulse XFI of 12V DC 650mA - 950mA, SBooster have this: https://www.sbooster.com/botw-pp-eco-12v-132v/geek-pulse-xfi   the output voltage is 12V - 3A  / 13.2V - 2.25A,  I suspect I could do better for less money and would very much value your input. The Meiyan you posted about seems fantastic and has the option of chosing 12V output voltage but I´m not sure if it fits the bill.

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #345 of 573
  Rob sorry for the offtopic but after reading so much about power supplies I´m thinking my Geek Pulse XFI DAC would most likely benefit from a quality LPS, as far as specs all I could find was a power input for the Pulse XFI of 12V DC 650mA - 950mA, SBooster have this: https://www.sbooster.com/botw-pp-eco-12v-132v/geek-pulse-xfi   the output voltage is 12V - 3A  / 13.2V - 2.25A,  I suspect I could do better for less money and would very much value your input. The Meiyan you posted about seems fantastic and has the option of chosing 12V output voltage but I´m not sure if it fits the bill.

Geek also has the LPS4 for $900 - Under 6uv noise multiple voltage outputs.  Pretty expensive.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/lh-labs-geek-pulse-xfi-linear-power-supply-4-lps4#D7OHjBdISYQsjcPo.97

The MEIYAN has a bit more noise (13uv) and only one voltage output - but it's $150

Sbooster is approx $400 - have no idea on it's noise level

Users who are viewing this thread

Back