USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All (at least for me)
Jan 17, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #316 of 573
  I hope so... that's what I'm about to do as soon as I receive my Singxer X1.  Galvanic isolation for me is done by iFi SPDIF iPurifier, so I didn't bought the F1 on purpose.

So my Uber-USB chain will be: PC --> iDefender (5v iFi iPower) --> iFi iPurifier 2 --> Singxer X1 --> iFi SPDIF iPurifier (5v iFi iPower).

BTW, is the "300 femto seconds Global Master Timing" of the iFi SPDIF iPurifier any good? is it better or worse than the "femtosecond CRYSTEK custom clock" of the Singxer F1?

On the clocks - no comparison.  Would love to see phase noise specs on the iFi clock.  It looks like a XO to me - and only one clock - as opposed to the F-1 with separate clocks for the 48K ,96K ,192K, 384K and 44K, 88K, 176K, 352K frequencies like the F-1

The F-1 Crystek CCHD-575 are proably the finest TCXO's made today.  The NDK SD are very good as well.

Now I tried the iFi SPDIF and did not like it (YMMV) powering it the iPower on the F-1.  Added a edginess to the SQ.  I ran for about 100hrs and maybe needed more run time.  I had very good success with the W4S Remedy in the past (it uses the Crystek CCHD clock)

But in the end preferred the F-1 without it.  It is not 'bit perfect' as it resamples everything to 96K (there way around using only one clock).

I also had a Mutec MC-3+USB and it very good as a SPDIF reclocker - but never tried it on the 'Ultra; USB chain.  I believe @Mr Underhill had tried it and sold the Mutec.  It's not cheap and uses a built in SMPS
frown.gif

Jan 17, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #317 of 573
  On the clocks - no comparison.  Would love to see phase noise specs on the iFi clock.  It looks like a XO to me - and only one clock - as opposed to the F-1 with separate clocks for the 48K ,96K ,192K, 384K and 44K, 88K, 176K, 352K frequencies like the F-1

.... ....

It is not 'bit perfect' as it resamples everything to 96K (there way around using only one clock).

So the iFi SPDIF iPurifier is not bit perfect as It use only one clock? It doesn't have a separate clock for all frequencies?

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #318 of 573
  You're waiting for it ! Lucky you because they run out of stock... and I just planned to test it.
I sent them a mail to know about availability. I'll post the info whan I got it.

This is the info I got from a guy on a french forum who's testing the F-1 vs the Pro3z :
First : he did not test both according to the "rule". He tested the F-1 with power from the PC, and powered the Pro3z with an ifi power 5V. As power supply is critical, conclusion might not be definitive.
His result is :
- the Pro3z offers more clarity, more "air"; more définition than the F-1 ; but the Pro3z tends to lead to a more tiring listening over time.
This is rough conclusion because the Pro3z was not completly burnt in.

Let's wait for your own tests.

Regarding your comments about the Corning 3.Optical, I'm not as strict as you are :
ok, on CA forum some people faced reliabilty issue, that's old story now ; it was dure to a wrong batch. Mine works still perfectly after 3years...
Regarding isolation with the Corning : 
- if you use it as such, I'm OK, SQ can be slightly harsh.
- to overcome this harshness (light), I use it that way :
1. the Corning is basically a USB link (30ft in perfect for me) between PC & the USB>spdif interface.
2. I cut the power from the PC at the 1st end, and power the Corning with a stabilized PS. By doing so, I give proper current to the end tip of the Corning the do the conversion optical>USB. This PS brings a lot & calm down the slight harshness
3. also, I cut the current that leak from the Corning at the end tip (USB interface side), and provide clean power from another stabilized PS. I have to do so becasue the Breeze interface requires power for the handshake. This 2nd PS at end tip brings much less than the 1st one.

That's jst to say that this Corning can be a very good cable.
I trust you when you presents your great USB chain, for sure it is pretty efficient ; but the Corning can be another option, maybe less efficient, but less expensive & less tricky to implement.

Rgds & thanks for your reply & your great inputs !

Good info.  In my insane quest for sonic nirvana - I had at one point planned to try the Corning Optical USB between the PC and the LEX.  But then read the issues you mentioned about 'harshness'

See the comments I posted from that epic CA thread on post #304
...The hub is connected directly to my​
Mac
Mini using a Synergistic Research Active SE Thunderbolt​
cable​
and it is this​
cable​
that is responsible for the smoother and less edgy SQ. I have compared several Thunderbolt​
cables​
including Corning's optical Thunderbolt
cable​
which I was sure would sound best but interestingly, while it sounds very detailed, there is an unpleasant grain...​

BTW I use a Synergistic Research Element Copper active digital SPDIF RCA cable - and it is significant part of the SQ i'm getting from this digital chain.  I bought it a great price on Audiogon as a Demo - and it came with the new ECT modules and a Galileo MPC.  These cables are amazing (I have tried at least a dozen SPDIF digital SE cables).

Now I believe those Corning electro-optical converters need +5VDC to work - so just cutting the power feed will kill the data link.  The F-1 does not need a power hand shake like the DU-U8.  You say you provide 'stabilized' PS - details?  regulated LPS? Discrete or IC based? SMPS?

I had a Pro3a and it was pretty good - (see my rankings on page 1) basically the same design as the Pro3z but with XMOS U8 vs XU216.  I like the ability to power by ext.  The negative issue with the Pro3a/3z is the use of Murata electo-magnetic SPDIF isolation.  The F-1 uses a much more advanced CPLD.

See the Murata DA101 right next to the SPDIF coax output.

Note on the F-1 - no Murata or worse Pulse transformer.  The SPDIF (not USB) galvanic isolation is done by that large CPLD right in front of the SPDIF.  It is on the  'clean side' of the isolation wall (middle of the F-1) after the ADP150 regulators, just like the Crystek clocks :

Every top DDC I have seen do not use these Electro-Mag Isolation transformers (note the dual Crystek CCHD clocks)
Berkeley Audio:

Hydra Z (also Crystek CCHD clocks):

Tanly (also Crystek CCHD clocks):

All the lower cost units like the Gustard, Melodious, Breeze use these transformers.

I believe doing away with these electro-magnetic isolation transformers reduce the jitter on the SPDIF output and improve the SQ

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #321 of 573
  thanks @rb2013

Last question: do you think Singxer F1 is harsh sounding? High resolution but dry sound? 

Not at all!  The warmest, richest most texturally dense tone I have yet to hear.  On that score rivals the best Moving Coil cartridges - like the ones I had Benz Ebony LP and Dynavestor XV1S.  But with an ink black background that no MC could match.

And I consider my self a 'Tone-head' (you're talking to a guy who spent 10yrs developing a near sota Analog system - and likewise rolling hundreds of tubes - see my 17 tube review).  Rich, natural tone is my number 1 criteria - even if I have to sacrifice some air and detail.  I have two tube DACs and tube hybrid amps.  Just like my beloved 'HG' 6N23P tubes - fortunately with the F-1 you get all of that and tremendous dynamics - in multiple spades.

As I have said the F-1 needs - at a min a good ext LPS - better a SI/Impedance USB device (Recovery or Regen) and best the iPur 2 in between.  Now to go to the big leagues the Startech in the USB chain and storage.

I just wonder what the F-1 would sound like with a Hynes SR5 or SR7 - Uptone LPS-1 or JS2.

I'm waiting on a 9V Rcore transformer (stuck somewhere between here and China) to finish my LT3042 DIY LPS project.  5VDC with .8uv noise.  Will try powering the F-1 without the Recovery and/or the iPur2

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #322 of 573
I am glad to hear the positive opinions of those who are using Startech. Thank you. Soon I will also revive it.

Quote:
I'm waiting on a 9V Rcore transformer (stuck somewhere between here and China) to finish my LT3042 DIY LPS project.  5VDC with .8uv noise.  Will try powering the F-1 without the Recovery and/or the iPur2

Interesting rb2013

I am also starting to consider buying different power supplies, including for the DAC etc. I have recently assembled two dual sources of DIYNHK also 0.8uV, also waiting to buy transformers. I would like to know your opinion.

¿Have you tried on some occasion, try to outsource the power supply of the DAC, to be able to dispense with the earth in it? That is, just feed it with DC.

There would be no earth connection throughout the system except of course, in power supplies where we have high voltages for safety.

In this sense, I have a question for anyone in particular ¿Why do manufacturers of audio equipment, do not isolate their circuit boards to avoid ground noise, for example, in the RCA analog audio outputs?

They are supposed to need a ground plane so the electronics can have a voltage reference, but at the same time, I also think it can be a problem. In my house, I can get to measure a lot of noise in the huge groundings. I have come to notice important differences simply by isolating the shielding of the connectors with cellophane, the USB connector from the computer.

By the way, a couple of details to quote the comment. I guess you have already tried many options but ¿Does not overlap the operation of the Recovery and the operation of ifi IPurifier2? The two have a similar function.

In principle, it is assumed, that the best component should be connected at the point closest to F1.

This afternoon I connected the Nano IUSB directly to the SU-1 not using a cable until now, but using an A-B adapter and I liked the result.
I think it could be interesting to do without the wiring and connections as little as possible, joining circuit boards, Startech REX and LEX, USB´s purifiers etc, in the same box. It is always clear that it was reversible.

A greeting.

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #323 of 573

Interesting rb2013

I am also starting to consider buying different power supplies, including for the DAC etc. I have recently assembled two dual sources of DIYNHK also 0.8uV, also waiting to buy transformers. I would like to know your opinion.

¿Have you tried on some occasion, try to outsource the power supply of the DAC, to be able to dispense with the earth in it? That is, just feed it with DC.

There would be no earth connection throughout the system except of course, in power supplies where we have high voltages for safety.

In this sense, I have a question for anyone in particular ¿Why do manufacturers of audio equipment, do not isolate their circuit boards to avoid ground noise, for example, in the RCA analog audio outputs?

They are supposed to need a ground plane so the electronics can have a voltage reference, but at the same time, I also think it can be a problem. In my house, I can get to measure a lot of noise in the huge groundings. I have come to notice important differences simply by isolating the shielding of the connectors with cellophane, the USB connector from the computer.

By the way, a couple of details to quote the comment. I guess you have already tried many options but ¿Does not overlap the operation of the Recovery and the operation of ifi IPurifier2? The two have a similar function.

In principle, it is assumed, that the best component should be connected at the point closest to F1.

This afternoon I connected the Nano IUSB directly to the SU-1 not using a cable until now, but using an A-B adapter and I liked the result.
I think it could be interesting to do without the wiring and connections as little as possible, joining circuit boards, Startech REX and LEX, USB´s purifiers etc, in the same box. It is always clear that it was reversible.

A greeting.

The SPDIF RCA is isolated galvanically - USB is more difficult.  Just disconnecting the ground pin or covering doesn;t do it.  If it were so easy.  The shield continues the ground connection.  Only a device like the Intona or USB/Ethernet can give you GI at high speed.

On the Recovery and the iPur2.  Believe me I tried getting rid of one or both - and it hurt the SQ to much.  And crazy as it sounds the iPur2 directly into the F-1 AFTER the Recovery sounded the best.  BTW I had a iPur1 and it did nothing for the SQ. 

I put little weight in the iFi marketing hype - so really don't know why the SQ is improved.

One thing about that crazy - epic CA thread - is YES power supplies and AC filtering and balancing make a big difference.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #324 of 573
Hi, 
FYI, this is the answer from DIYINHK regarding the Pro3z :
- availability : back in stock in the "coming weeks".
Let's say it will be available after the Chinese New Year events
- power : "external 5v should be better, but if the power from your USB is good enough, the different can be small"

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #325 of 573
  Nice

I upgraded my MEIYAN to REX with this cable: very nice cable - very reasonable price.  I ordered the 2.1mm DC end and it works great.  Also available as a 2.5mm

Teddy Pardo Silver:
https://www.teddypardo.com/cables/misc-cables.html

thank for your information.

but i do not know where to get this MEIYAN LPS.

How is the quality of TERADAK ? I would to use teradak lps at REX and fanless pc. but do not know if this quality is ok for this super chain.

at your post : 341
I think my solution will be a 4GB SLC - and two 256GB PNY USB sticks

at taobao, i found some SLC 64 GB, read 320m , write 213m price: china dollars 215.00
if i want  to install the o/s at this slc usb sticker ,
another 2 slots, just buy cheap slow usb 2.0 usb stick to store music. does it work?

thank you. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #327 of 573

That said I have a DIYinHK Pro3z coming soon to compare to the F-1.  XU216 vs XU208.  NDK SD clocks vs Crystek CCHD-575 clocks  - lower noise on board regulators.

So that will be interesting.

http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/111-xmos-192khz-high-quality-usb-to-spdif-with-ultralow-noise-1uv-regulator-wmanual-power-switch.html

Dung... I totally missed this one and I compulsively bought a Singxer F-1 last night.

Hope I won't regret it... finger crossed for Singxer better than Pro3z!! 
beyersmile.png

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #328 of 573
Dung... I totally missed this one and I compulsively bought a Singxer F-1 last night.

Hope I won't regret it... finger crossed for Singxer better than Pro3z!! :beyersmile:

Then wait for Singxer XU216 version. I like the casing of Singxer:grin:

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #329 of 573
Guys any input on RCA/RCA coaxial cable lenght to be used with Singxer?

Some say that 5ft (1,5mt) is the MINIMUM to avoid "signal reflection", but Chord state on MoJo/HuGo page to use coax cable of MAX 5tf(1,5mt) to avoid connection problem.

Where's the truth? I would go for what Chord recommend...

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #330 of 573
  Guys any input on RCA/RCA coaxial cable lenght to be used with Singxer?

Some say that 5ft (1,5mt) is the MINIMUM to avoid "signal reflection", but Chord state on MoJo/HuGo page to use coax cable of MAX 5tf(1,5mt) to avoid connection problem.

Where's the truth? I would go for what Chord recommend...

I would go with 1.5m, then you satisfy both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back