USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All (at least for me)
Jan 13, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #286 of 573
Hi Bob,

The Meiyan isn't available via ebay.co.uk, and the seller on ebay.com is off until the 8th Feb.

What ampage is needed? Thought I saw 0.6A but can't find it now. My choice seems to be between the TeraDak DC-30W 24V/1A & a Talema based 24v/0.6A.

Cheers,

M

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #287 of 573
  For powering my ssd's I'm simply cutting the edges of an unused usb cable and a sata power cable and putting together the reds and the blacks.. 

That would work - notice any SQ difference?

Hi Bob,

The Meiyan isn't available via ebay.co.uk, and the seller on ebay.com is off until the 8th Feb.

What ampage is needed? Thought I saw 0.6A but can't find it now. My choice seems to be between the TeraDak DC-30W 24V/1A & a Talema based 24v/0.6A.

Cheers,

M

I would go with the TeraDak DC-30W then.  It has the better R-core transformer.  1A should be enough if your DDC/DAC even if your DDC or DAC draws current from the USB port on the REX.  If not then of course either would have enough current.

The MEIYAN puts out 3.3A @24VDC - way overkill.  But it has a nice low noise MOSFET discrete regulation circuit.

Here is another cheaper alternative - the Breeze Audio LT1083 based R-core
Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30VA-LPS-DC-9V-3A-Linear-Power-Supply-psu-option-12V-15V-18V-24V-for-AMP-HiFi-/131861257445?hash=item1eb38b1ce5

It worked pretty good - the MEIYAN is better.  13uv of noise vs 180uv for the LT1083. I also tried the DC iPur on the 24VDC Breeze and it got very hot - then the voltage would flucuate.  24VDC is the high end voltage limit for the DC iPur - I immediately removed it and went to the MEIYAN.

Interesting I bought this LT3042 board to drop into that Breeze - it works for around 20 minutes then shut down.  The Breeze has a 12V R-core - the seller on the LT3042 says that's the limit for that board - so I have a 9V RCore coming to replace it.  Like the DC iPur - best not to push these LPS's to their limit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142115498378?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
The LT3042 has 0.8uv of noise.  Plan on trying to power the F-1 without the Recovery to see - if not may use it in my office system or on the LEX.

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #289 of 573
While I may regret embarking on this project, where can I go to get the easiest instructions on how to install and run Windies 10 from a USB, Compact, or A microSD flash drive?

Joel

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #292 of 573
My cheap solution USB strips.:grin:

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #294 of 573

Here is another cheaper alternative - the Breeze Audio LT1083 based R-core
Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30VA-LPS-DC-9V-3A-Linear-Power-Supply-psu-option-12V-15V-18V-24V-for-AMP-HiFi-/131861257445?hash=item1eb38b1ce5

Ordered this.

I have been using the StarTech with the SMPS and 128GB USB, into the Audio Breeze DU-U8; awaiting the replacement F1.

Been a bit of a roller coaster ride. The IFU iP2 initially seemed to add space. The StarTech didn't seem to change anything. Over the next couple of days the sound hardened and sharpened. Last night the character had changed, most edge just wasn't there. The bass seemed better defined from the USB than direct from the NAS. All incremental stuff, but for those of us with this form of OCD nice to have. Looking forward to adding the PSUs & F1 and hearing what that brings.

M

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #295 of 573
Ordered this.

I have been using the StarTech with the SMPS and 128GB USB, into the Audio Breeze DU-U8; awaiting the replacement F1.

Been a bit of a roller coaster ride. The IFU iP2 initially seemed to add space. The StarTech didn't seem to change anything. Over the next couple of days the sound hardened and sharpened. Last night the character had changed, most edge just wasn't there. The bass seemed better defined from the USB than direct from the NAS. All incremental stuff, but for those of us with this form of OCD nice to have. Looking forward to adding the PSUs & F1 and hearing what that brings.

M
Interesting perspective with the DU-U8 and the Startech.

I would recommend the $29 Blue Jean Cable cat6 550Mhz Ethernet cable, that was a standout from the half dozen Cat6 and Cat5e cables.

It will be interesting to see your take on the SQ effects on the F-1 and LPS.

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #296 of 573
  Interesting photos - thanks for sharing.  Were you able to measure the exact noise reduction with the Dc iPur?

Hello

I do not remember the concrete measures, but I can say that the noise reduction is important. Similar to I gotta measure in ipower, when I was visualizing it on the oscilloscope.
I also do not have the most suitable equipment to be able to make very accurate measurements and make informed conclusions.

In the end I have decided and I have requested a USB2G4LEXT2, I will comment. For now, it has been good for me to trust your opinions :wink:

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #298 of 573
Hello

I do not remember the concrete measures, but I can say that the noise reduction is important. Similar to I gotta measure in ipower, when I was visualizing it on the oscilloscope.
I also do not have the most suitable equipment to be able to make very accurate measurements and make informed conclusions.

In the end I have decided and I have requested a USB2G4LEXT2, I will comment. For now, it has been good for me to trust your opinions :wink:
Good deal. Yes these ultra low noise measurements need fairly senstive equipment.

It'll be interesting to get get your take on the Startech

Users who are viewing this thread

Back