USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All (at least for me)
Jan 10, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #256 of 573

There should be no issue on running WIN10 from the 32GB SLC SD - other then the size of the drive.  Speed wise - a lot will depend on the amount of RAM your server has.  I would say 12GB min, the more the better. 

If you read my posts on the PNY 120GB SSD I use to run the OS - it has a SLC buffer up to 2-3GB.  The PNY 256GB has a SLC buffer of approx 30GB.  I have a cable coming to power the PNY SSD externally by LPS - not off the MB SATA.  So that should be interesting to see the SQ effect.

No the AOIP AES67 Rednet Dante uses a different protocol from the Startech/ICRON GB LAN Ethernet USB Extender - they are not directly compatible.  The Rednet uses RTPIP and the Startech TCPIP.  The Rednet Dante AOIP is now AES67 compatible - but the Satrtech is not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_Transport_Protocol

Great information, Rob. Thanks a lot for that.

I didn't know there could be an SLC portion to an SSD or USB flash drive.

How can you determine when a drive has the SLC portion? Is there a marking or technical indication?

Have you ever played with cFast drives? I have one. I'm wondering if I should try an option like that.

And also, if an OS is copied to these drives, the data goes to the SLC portion first?

Finally, which drive would you recommend for running an OS to get the maximum sonic benefit?

Thanks again.

Joel

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #257 of 573

Great information, Rob. Thanks a lot for that.

I didn't know there could be an SLC portion to an SSD or USB flash drive.

How can you determine when a drive has the SLC portion? Is there a marking or technical indication?

Have you ever played with cFast drives? I have one. I'm wondering if I should try an option like that.

And also, if an OS is copied to these drives, the data goes to the SLC portion first?

Finally, which drive would you recommend for running an OS to get the maximum sonic benefit?

Thanks again.

Joel

I didn't know that SSD'd have SLC caches either.  What I love about this thread and why I blog - someone knowledgeable says - 'Hey what about SLC drives/cards'  Hats off to you!
beerchug.gif
And it gets me thinking.

Anyway go back to page 15 - posts #211 and #212.  I have the article links on the PNY drives and the speed tests.  When using the SLC cache (before they saturate) the transfer speeds are 400% greater.  The test they did (write a 30GB video file) clearly show when the SLC cache is full on both the PNY 120GB SSD and the PNY 256GB.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/829639/usb-strikes-back-watch-out-aoip-usb-ethernet-chain-beats-all-at-least-for-me/210#post_13147778

Have not tried a cFAST drive.  But with the SLC portion transfer speeds of a inexpensive SSD - not sure more speed is really needed.

Yes the SLC cache is always used first until it saturates then the drive algorithm moves to the TLC portion.  So the OS would be always in the SLC - assuming a striped down (extraneous apps removed - Fidelizer or Audio Optimizer used).  And lot s of RAM - making virtual disk RAM not necessary.  Certainly the larger PNY 256GB with approx 30GB of SLC cache.

The ease of external powering of the SATA SSD is also - possibly -important.  Just a $6 cable and a 5VDC LPS.  This is different then PCIe which would require a more expensive ext case.  Moving the SSD power away from the MB/CPU - even one powerd by it's own LPS may have SQ benefits.  It's certainly cheaper then a large LPS to power the music server, or going with a low processing power CPU with small amount of DD3 RAM.

Edit correction:  The test for the larger PNY was a 480GB not 256GB.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #259 of 573
Interesting quote on this Jitterbug review:
http://www.audiostream.com/content/audioquest-jitterbug-usb-data-power-noise-filter#x7r97chh6GDAfgru.97
The company also recommends sticking a JitterBug in any unused USB input residing on your networked audio system. This includes any NAS, router, or network player/streamer that has an unused USB port. The reason for this, the company explains, is because these unused USB ports act as tiny antennas sucking in radiated EMI and RFI which can then hop a ride on your network-attached data cables causing the aforementioned unwanted noise currents, etc. The company adds, "...the bus itself is generating all of this noise, thus polluting the device."​
Read more at http://www.audiostream.com/content/audioquest-jitterbug-usb-data-power-noise-filter#vCJySqGXE88iADqc.99​

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #260 of 573
Greetings: 

Received an F-1 a few days ago and today when clicking to the next track it started to stutter immediately after entering - as though it was trying to continue but couldn't and was stuck with that accompanying odd sound.  I had to shut down Foobar to stop it.

Does this event sound like the F-1; the external hard drive it was feeding off or the computer?

When I listen to Foobar play the tracks one after the other I have had no problems up to now, only this time and only when I manually selected the next track.

Thanks for any feedback,

p.s. I don't know if this is connected to the above event or not, but the first day in one of the tracks there was a split second pause then immediately resumed play; then another day I had a couple of flutters in two different tracks only lasting a split second.

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #261 of 573
Jan 10, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #263 of 573
  Greetings: 

Received an F-1 a few days ago and today when clicking to the next track it started to stutter immediately after entering - as though it was trying to continue but couldn't and was stuck with that accompanying odd sound.  I had to shut down Foobar to stop it.

Does this event sound like the F-1; the external hard drive it was feeding off or the computer?

When I listen to Foobar play the tracks one after the other I have had no problems up to now, only this time and only when I manually selected the next track.

Thanks for any feedback,

p.s. I don't know if this is connected to the above event or not, but the first day in one of the tracks there was a split second pause then immediately resumed play; then another day I had a couple of flutters in two different tracks only lasting a split second.

Increase your Foobar Buffer - run off ASIO

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #265 of 573
still waiting for startech. and need to get ready for the LPS. Below is layout.

Fanless pc (power : 6A, 12V) (need LPS)

cable : Split USB Cable  (need LPS)

to 

STARTECH  LEX (power : 1A,  24DC)(need LPS)

cable: lan cable

to STARTECH REX (power : 1A,  24DC)(need LPS)

Split USB Cable  (need LPS

here, would use Holo Audio Titanis USB Turbo 

Singxer F1

to 

DAC

1. this layout needs 5 LPS,  any one box solution suggestion? Otherwise 5 power cords need to spend lot of money.

2. is the voltage fighure correct?

thank you very much.

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #266 of 573
Well why the mR? Seems unnecessary, unless your player needs it. The Ultra chain is already pretty convoluted. But maybe it's a super synergy?

It should work as the Startech/Icron just appear as a USB hub, even though it's tcpip Ethernet.

Way mR? In my case for convenience, simplicity, music quality and on the end synergy.
Convenience: mR replaced my squeezebox touch with this settings(http://touchsgotrythm.blogspot.com/), applying  them was nightmare form my. Also the system was nonstable. mR let my
                     continue using SqueezeLite with Logitech Squeezebox Controller remote control app I used before, ,playback of local radio stations and streaming service, easy to control thru 
                      webbrowser. Also I moved my noisy laptop from listening position.

Simplicity:    My previous chain was too long, full of USB gizmos( regen, Intona ), batteries supply, usb wires etc.

Music Quality: This is so subjective. I never heard  another head-fier system. My reference point is $100 cd player connected to my DAC. This computer chain it is miles ahead from cd player.
                       Just listening Vangelis-Opera Sauvage, on the song Flamants Roses the harph sound so natural, with bounced sound from left to right, on the circles. Never heard that type of
                        soundstage on this record. All of this old records are full of inperfections, tiks, squeeze noises, low level noises everithyng come to surface.  

Synergy: In my case YES
Sorry for my broken english, english it is not my nature language.    

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #267 of 573
At present, I'm using a hybrid of Rob's approach.

As I'm using Infinity Blade, my files are first copying to a microSD SLC card before playing.

This and a hard drive are plugged into a Startech extender.

I realize this may not be ideal sonically, so I'll want to compare this solution to replacing the hard drive with a flash drive.

Obviously, I'll be sacrificing a lot of storage in making that swap.

In the meantime, the current setup is wonderful.

Thanks again for that, Rob.

Joel

Jan 11, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #268 of 573
Jan 11, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #269 of 573
Hi guys, I'm from Australia and was wondering if someone could recommend the cheapest place to purchase the Startech. Obviously would need shipping to Australia. Would love to try this in my system. Thx.

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #270 of 573
amazon is out of stock
newegg is the cheapest but it does not offer international shipment.
i tried taobao but this item is very rare , not popular.

the only way - ebay and accept the  snail and turtle speed global Priority shipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back