USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All (at least for me)
Jan 8, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #226 of 573
  https://www.ballicom.co.uk/usb2g4lext2-startech-com-4-port-usb-2-0-over-lan-.p1009343.html?ref=PLA&gclid=CIfr9Le9rdECFeop0wodmpgLMw

£436 inc VAT

https://www.icronshop.com/icron-brand/icron-ranger-2304ge-lan

Another option from Icron online store: £396 inc VAT
I went with paying with Euro, as that works out better with the currency converter.  Just change the currency on the top right hand of the site.

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #227 of 573
  The Mutec is gone  - I suppose it was bettered by the F-1?  Not worth the cost to keep as a SPDIF reclocker?

I think that it is a bit more complex. There is no doubt that using the Mutec resolves extra detail.

The F1 high frequency data it superb, without edge. Better than any other DDC I have heard in my system.

With my current F1 dead I am listening to my Audio Breeze DU-U8. This is very good, although the F1 matches all its strengths and adds the superb HF.

Interestingly I actually prefer both the F1 and Breeze to the same boxes PLUS the Mutec. I feel that the Mutec in resolving the extra detail makes my system far more critical of my music sources, good files sound great, poor sources can sound dire ....and a lot of music I love has not been brilliantly mastered.

Overall I find I prefer both the F1 and Breeze bare, not with the Mutec added.

M

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #228 of 573

I went with paying with Euro, as that works out better with the currency converter.  Just change the currency on the top right hand of the site.

I have seen some discussion of the icron, and I see that it is USB3.0, but I wanted to stick with Bob's chain and hopefully gain from his extensive research.

Be interested in what you find with your use of the Icron.

M

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #229 of 573
  @rb2013, I remember that you will be comparing the Pro3z with the F-1 when you receive the Pro3z.  I wonder how is that coming along?

Looking forward to your impressions, and thanks for sharing your hard work with all the informative posts.

Haven't heard anything from the offerer - as to sending me the Pro3z.  So I guess just got busy with some other things.

I have a F-1 Singxer case on the way - so I can use my open one for the F-1 to Wolfson i2s/SPDIF converter project.  Does this Singxer case make any SQ differences?  Don't expect so - I'll report back.

Note I use vibration control and heavy brass weights on the current F-1 box.  I have made copper clad BB boxes as weight/stablizers - they sit on top and I have vibration control underneath my Recovery.  Copper is an excellent RFI/EMI shielding material - so these boxes act in a dual role.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #230 of 573

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the thoughts, I am hoping my error will help others avoid the same fate.

I did email Singxer. They got back to me a day later and advised me to just use firmware from their site ....no mention of a possible fix. I will watch your experiment with interest.

I will keep running the USB Stick .....but I was not surprised. The effect for me was akin to the effect of SMPS on sound quality. From my POV I am enjoying doing this one step at a time.

M

Yes I recommend the one step at a time approach as well.  For a couple of reasons - it's a lot of fun to experience the SQ improvements at each change (at least for me it was).  Second each system is different so some of the finer tuning elements (like the JB's) may not be beneficial in every chain.

Good luck!

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #231 of 573

Just note the Icron uses a different (and cheaper) custom ASIC vs the Spartan 6 FPGA.  Do they sound different?  I can't say.  Theortically the ASIC should do the job of USB packet to TCPIP packet translation just the same.  But in audio theory doesn't always pan out.  Do they have different data buffers?  One advantage of TCPIP Ethernet is error correction -so large buffers are used.  USB 2.0 Audio doesn't have packet error correction.  Do the ASCI vs FPGA have different clocks?
Here are the board photos of my FPGA version LEX then REX:

I think that it is a bit more complex. There is no doubt that using the Mutec resolves extra detail.

The F1 high frequency data it superb, without edge. Better than any other DDC I have heard in my system.

With my current F1 dead I am listening to my Audio Breeze DU-U8. This is very good, although the F1 matches all its strengths and adds the superb HF.

Interestingly I actually prefer both the F1 and Breeze to the same boxes PLUS the Mutec. I feel that the Mutec in resolving the extra detail makes my system far more critical of my music sources, good files sound great, poor sources can sound dire ....and a lot of music I love has not been brilliantly mastered.

Overall I find I prefer both the F1 and Breeze bare, not with the Mutec added.

M

That's great feedback - glad I sold my Mutec.

Cheers

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #234 of 573
IFI Purifier 2

OK, I have been using this for a few hours, and so if there is a break in process then I am just at the start. Please remember that I am currently using the Audio Breeze DU-U8 rather than the F1.

I removed the VBUS2, as the Purifier requires USB power, and slotted in the iP2.

The immediate effect was that I felt that the sound had in some way been detached from my speakers so that the sound field was now independent and expanded.

The main reason that I have been sinking time and resources into this process is that in moving from my Naim NS01 to the microRendu (mR) is that I gained lots of dynamics and detail, however some tracks have aggressive Ss and Ts.

The iP2 in addition to adding space also reduced edge. It didn't completely remove it, certain problem tracks now have a reduced but still evident issue.

So, all positive? Perhaps not. The positive effects also can subtly reduce dynamics, this is a price I am more than happy to bare.

Interestingly I am also running in the USB stick and had played my test playlist to my younger daughter this morning. Like me she identified Signe as better from USB. For the others she heard differences but had no preference. Fitting the iP2 seems to me to further narrow the difference, but addressing different issues in the two sources.

I have left the mR streaming via the iP2, I'll report back any changes with time .....but this performs well straight off the bat.

M

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #235 of 573
IFI Purifier 2

OK, I have been using this for a few hours, and so if there is a break in process then I am just at the start. Please remember that I am currently using the Audio Breeze DU-U8 rather than the F1.

I removed the VBUS2, as the Purifier requires USB power, and slotted in the iP2.

The immediate effect was that I felt that the sound had in some way been detached from my speakers so that the sound field was now independent and expanded.

The main reason that I have been sinking time and resources into this process is that in moving from my Naim NS01 to the microRendu (mR) is that I gained lots of dynamics and detail, however some tracks have aggressive Ss and Ts.

The iP2 in addition to adding space also reduced edge. It didn't completely remove it, certain problem tracks now have a reduced but still evident issue.

So, all positive? Perhaps not. The positive effects also can subtly reduce dynamics, this is a price I am more than happy to bare.

Interestingly I am also running in the USB stick and had played my test playlist to my younger daughter this morning. Like me she identified Signe as better from USB. For the others she heard differences but had no preference. Fitting the iP2 seems to me to further narrow the difference, but addressing different issues in the two sources.

I have left the mR streaming via the iP2, I'll report back any changes with time .....but this performs well straight off the bat.

M
Good report. Yes it also benefits from run time. My experience is that the iP2 has special synergies with the F-1, I did like it with the Breeze which I'm still using in my office system, but I didn't get nearly the SQ improvement as with the F-1. My favorite location in the chain, is right into the F-1. Both with the Regen and Recovery I prefered it there, not what is recommended by the manufacturers. It needs power, so the Recovery (with ext LPS feed), provides that with additional noise regulation. Using the iP2 after the Recovery drops the DC power noise to the F-1 below .1uv

I had the iP1 and felt it was virtually worthless.

On the simbliance issues and edge to the sound. One the revelations on my Ultra USB chain, is it supreme musicality. Warm, rich, naturally dense tone. Makes even the edgiest Redbook recordings sound like high res DSD.

While gaining in detail and dynamics - and vibrancy and resolution. What a combination!

Right now listening to Yes 'Close to the Edge'. One of those complex, genius ‘70s albums, but has a brightness usually. Not tonight amazingly creamy smooth.

I still can't get over what a sea change to the sound this chain has produced.

I'd try a Jitterbug at the PC USB, modded to block the 5VDC Vbus power. Use a spilt USB cable like the 2G and just the data leg - power leg to a inexpensive LPS. I use the same at the REX USB feed. I have one more JB on an open USB port on the front of my server, and use on those 'tough' recordings. Sometimes I remove it. So that's three JB's, two modded as VBUS blockers.

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #239 of 573
Poorman's iUSB3 Micro ( iDefender+iSilencer+LPS ). Took out dc ipurifier from laptop since having heat issues. Replace with an UPS with RF/EMI noise filter supplying laptop and 2 LPSs.

Since putting a balance 800V transformer to chain. Music been ever so revealing with pitch black background.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back