USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All (at least for me)
Jan 3, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #196 of 573
Thx Bob,

I'll read your post properly a bit later.

I have just been working my way through a number of albums and have an issue. I have played a number of files that are 24/192, but the DAC is seeing 96k.

Looking at the microRendu DAC diagnostics it is reporting:

Code:
 Singxer USB Audio 2.0(F1) at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, full speed : USB Audio Playback: Status: Running Interface = 1 Altset = 1 Packet Size = 582 Momentary freq = 96000 Hz (0x60.0000) Feedback Format = 18.14 Interface 1 Altset 1 Format: S24_3LE Channels: 2 Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC) Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000 Interface 1 Altset 2 Format: S16_LE Channels: 2 Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC) Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000 Interface 1 Altset 3 Format: SPECIAL Channels: 2 Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC) Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000
Code:
 access: RW_INTERLEAVED format: S24_3LE subformat: STD channels: 2 rate: 96000 (96000/1) period_size: 500 buffer_size: 2000
Code:
 Simple mixer control 'Singxer Clock Selector',0 Capabilities: pvolume pswitch Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right Limits: Playback 0 - 127 Mono: Front Left: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on] Front Right: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on] Simple mixer control 'Singxer Clock Selector',1 Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined Playback channels: Mono Limits: Playback 0 - 127 Mono: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

I am using LMS and have checked the setup and there is no bandwidth limit imposed.

It would appear that the F1 is not reporting that it can handle 192k; that said I am at a loss to understand where the downsampling is being done!

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

M

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #197 of 573
Thx Bob,

I'll read your post properly a bit later.

I have just been working my way through a number of albums and have an issue. I have played a number of files that are 24/192, but the DAC is seeing 96k.

Looking at the microRendu DAC diagnostics it is reporting:

Code:
Singxer USB Audio 2.0(F1) at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, full speed : USB Audio

Playback:
 Interface = 1
 Altset = 1
 Packet Size = 582
 Momentary freq = 96000 Hz (0x60.0000)
 Feedback Format = 18.14
 Interface 1
 Altset 1
 Format: S24_3LE
 Channels: 2
 Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)
 Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000
 Interface 1
 Altset 2
 Format: S16_LE
 Interface 1
 Altset 3
 Format: SPECIAL
Code:
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S24_3LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 96000 (96000/1)
period_size: 500
buffer_size: 2000
Code:
Simple mixer control 'Singxer Clock Selector',0
 Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
 Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
 Limits: Playback 0 - 127
 Mono:
 Front Left: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
 Front Right: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Singxer Clock Selector',1
 Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
 Playback channels: Mono
 Limits: Playback 0 - 127
 Mono: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

I am using LMS and have checked the setup and there is no bandwidth limit imposed.

It would appear that the F1 is not reporting that it can handle 192k; that said I am at a loss to understand where the downsampling is being done!

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

M
Well sorry not very knowledgeable about Micro-Rendu settings. I remember from the old XU208 thread and the F-1 thread on CA no one mentioning this issue with using the two together. Do you use any XMOS ASIO driver with the MR? What audio player are you using?

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #199 of 573
rb2013. Need your opinion! Is having a multiple ports USB2 Hub ( like pluggables)powered by LPS good for devices which only need power?

Seem i need more of the 5V power rail and my dedicated LPS is too wasted on that.

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #200 of 573
Any reason why this wouldn't work in lieu of the Startech ?
https://www.amazon.com/AV-Access-Extender-Synchronous-Conference/dp/B01EV33R8S/ref=pd_sbs_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01EV33R8S&pd_rd_r=NR4M8QX7E9HJC645J0ME&pd_rd_w=adZ5v&pd_rd_wg=KQWyK&psc=1&refRID=NR4M8QX7E9HJC645J0ME

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #201 of 573
rb2013. Need your opinion! Is having a multiple ports USB2 Hub ( like pluggables)powered by LPS good for devices which only need power?

Seem i need more of the 5V power rail and my dedicated LPS is too wasted on that.

Something like this hub?
http://vaunix.com/products/usb-hubs/specifications/

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #202 of 573
Good info - what OS and system?  As I mentioned I considered running the OS from one of the USB sticks in the Startech.  This goes way beyond the three modes you mention.  As it would then be galvanically isolated from the PC. Powered in very low noise - AC line isolated and filtered - low noise LPS envirnoment.

But also potentially benefiting from the USB to TCPIP packet reconstruction.

As I mentioned I did hear a small improvement going from a WD Black HDD to a PNY 128 SSD with a El Fidelity SATA filter (this acts as a power noise filter) using a low noise high PSRR SeaSonic fanless PC PS.

on thread 84, you mentioned considered running the OS from one of the USB sticks in the Startech. 

right now, i am using linux voyage mpd, you can install and boot the voyage either at hard drive or usb stick . ( raspberry can do the same).
once you power off , or unplug the usb stick,  maybe your setup will be gone .

on thread 84, is it the intention you want to  perform this kind of installation? or you are referring to other installation method.  i don't have startech so i don't know
what i can see at the pc for this 4 usb sticks,

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #203 of 573
Something like this hub?
http://vaunix.com/products/usb-hubs/specifications/

Seems like way overkill for just a USB hub.  Why is it so expensive?

Well not really - better to use something like the Recovery or Regen.  As they provide other benefits besides regulated low noise USB power to the USB DDC - like reclocking of the USB data stream (in the case of the Recovery with ultra low phase noise Crystek clock), closed impedance matching, etc...

They do allow for easier external LPS power

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #204 of 573
  Any reason why this wouldn't work in lieu of the Startech ?
https://www.amazon.com/AV-Access-Extender-Synchronous-Conference/dp/B01EV33R8S/ref=pd_sbs_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01EV33R8S&pd_rd_r=NR4M8QX7E9HJC645J0ME&pd_rd_w=adZ5v&pd_rd_wg=KQWyK&psc=1&refRID=NR4M8QX7E9HJC645J0ME

No - I tried a bunch of these lower cost - non GB LAN USB/Ethernet extenders - and they made the SQ worse not better.

There is some thing special happening with the full USB to TCPIP packer translation that going on in the more advanced GB LAN certified extenders.

For example here is another cheaper Startech box I tried - fortunately Amazon has a good return policy:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T9RTT2U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #205 of 573
  Good info - what OS and system?  As I mentioned I considered running the OS from one of the USB sticks in the Startech.  This goes way beyond the three modes you mention.  As it would then be galvanically isolated from the PC. Powered in very low noise - AC line isolated and filtered - low noise LPS envirnoment.

But also potentially benefiting from the USB to TCPIP packet reconstruction.

As I mentioned I did hear a small improvement going from a WD Black HDD to a PNY 128 SSD with a El Fidelity SATA filter (this acts as a power noise filter) using a low noise high PSRR SeaSonic fanless PC PS.

on thread 84, you mentioned considered running the OS from one of the USB sticks in the Startech. 

right now, i am using linux voyage mpd, you can install and boot the voyage either at hard drive or usb stick . ( raspberry can do the same).
once you power off , or unplug the usb stick,  maybe your setup will be gone .

on thread 84, is it the intention you want to  perform this kind of installation? or you are referring to other installation method.  i don't have startech so i don't know
what i can see at the pc for this 4 usb sticks,

The USB sticks appear as regular Windows drives.  So yes they could be used to boot WIN10 - every one of the newer PCs has a USB stick boot option in the BIOS.

All that would be needed would be a copy of the C: drive (with the correct OS install) to one of the USB stick drives - then just set the BIOS to boot off that drive.

Now the issue may arise as to the latency of CPU calls to that drive for virtual memory operations.  On a dedicated stripped down PC for music - with lot's of RAM (12GB or more) this would likely not be an issue - but could be.  This is different with an internal SSD - with 6Gb/sec SATA III connection - not much latency there.  In fact, one benefit of a SSD for OS operation is it's faster speed over a spinner.

So I have one of these coming - that will allow me to power the internal OS SSD by an external LPS - away from the PC's PS.  For $6and a few minutes to hook up it seemed worth trying.  Then only the CPU MB will be powered by the SeaSonic.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221446206429?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I can use the modded TeraDak X1/X2 I have now powering the LEX end of the Startech GB LAN USB/Ethernet set-up to also power the OS SSD in the music server.  It sits right behind my PC music server.  The X1/X2 has two ports  - one a DC (which has adjustable voltage) and a fixed 5VDC USB.  The TeraDak puts out 1A @5VDC so more then enough juice to power both the SSD and the LEX.  These SSD's consume ridiculously small amounts of current.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #206 of 573
I should note not all SSD's are the same speed wise.  The inexpensive PNY 120 SSD I bought may actually be slower then a totl HDD:

http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/pny-cs1311-ssd-review-120gb480gb/5/

My HDD was a WD Black 7600rpm 2TB - so close in speed to the 1TB WDD Blue shown above.  Note the PNY 120GB CS1311 speed.  I probably should have - and may down the road move to a larger faster SSD.  Although I have to say the boot times have dropped significantly, even with the 120GB.

But I believe this is what has caused the improved SQ with the PNY SSD vs the WD HDD:

Power demands on the SATA MB bus orders of magnitude less then the WD HDD.  Less power supply load means less PS noise for both the drive and the MB/CPU.  Not to mention the lack of motor vibration, read head servo noise modulation, ambient noise, etc...

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #207 of 573
I should note not all SSD's are the same speed wise.  The inexpensive PNY 120 SSD I bought may actually be slower then a totl HDD:

http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/pny-cs1311-ssd-review-120gb480gb/5/

My HDD was a WD Black 7600rpm 2TB - so close in speed to the 1TB WDD Blue shown above.  Note the PNY 120GB CS1311 speed.  I probably should have - and may down the road move to a larger faster SSD.  Although I have to say the boot times have dropped significantly, even with the 120GB.

But I believe this is what has caused the improved SQ with the PNY SSD vs the WD HDD:

Power demands on the SATA MB bus orders of magnitude less then the WD HDD.  Less power supply load means less PS noise for both the drive and the MB/CPU.  Not to mention the lack of motor vibration, read head servo noise modulation, ambient noise, etc...

I believe drives with high rotation speeds are very bad for sound quality. Creates a lot of electro-magnetic disturbances, best to to SsD or slow spinning disks. Disk transfer speeds are irrelevant IMO for music playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back