USB Powered DAC/AMP Combo with Performance of Modi 2 Multibit?
Aug 25, 2018 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

blackberriesandthinkpads

New Head-Fier
I have a Modi 2 Multibit with a Mangi 3 and am happy with it's performance.

I'm looking for a portable USB powered DAC/AMP combo unit with similar performance. Any recommendations?

It is my understanding that the Grace Audio M9XX/M900 is inferior to the Modi Multibit. It's also rather large...

I don't need high power output on the amp side of things, driving low impedance gear.

Am I on a fool's errand?

Aug 25, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 7
I'd expect it to best all of the above. Volume control is done via the buttons.

Aug 25, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 7
I'd expect it to best all of the above. Volume control is done via the buttons.

I know, I just hate buttons for volume control. And god it's ugly, but if it performs, it's hard to argue with that. Looking into it, thanks.

So it's right around the $500 USD price point (luckily my limit for any given piece of gear), what other similar performing options (if any) are there around or less than that price point?

Aug 27, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 7
I have a Modi 2 Multibit with a Mangi 3 and am happy with it's performance.

I'm looking for a portable USB powered DAC/AMP combo unit with similar performance. Any recommendations?

It is my understanding that the Grace Audio M9XX/M900 is inferior to the Modi Multibit. It's also rather large...

I don't need high power output on the amp side of things, driving low impedance gear.

Am I on a fool's errand?

If it's important for it to be multibit, there aren't a ton of options, but:

Battery powered:

iFi (Micro BL, Nano BL, xDSD) use DAC chips that are supposed to be partly multibit. I do not actually know what that means

USB powered:

Soekris dac1101

There are aslo a handful of portable NOS DACs using vintage chips, which are pretty obscure. I have no idea how any of these things sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back