USB interconnects: Cardas Clear USB vs. Kimber Kale USB cables
Nov 29, 2010 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Syan25

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a choice to make between the Cardas Clear USB and the Kimber Kale USB...

Cardas Clear is $118US and the Kimber Kale is $50US....these are at the 0.5 metre length.

I want a great sounding, clear, NEUTRAL sound from the USB...

Thing is  - Cardas advertise their cable as being a musically neutral cable. Then Music-Direct advertises it as a

Clear USB is a stunning sounding cable, with traditional Cardas warmth and the astonishing resolution and power of the new Clear series. With greater air, definition, bottom octave power and control and of course, the glorious Cardas midrange presence that is the hallmark of Cardasdesigns.

WHAT??

Anyway - if anyone has any experience with either of these and can inform me as to which is better to buy - I would be happy. Blue Jeans also offers a similiar USB cable at a very decent cost.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 23
Hi Syan25 , Just be aware that you're gonna get the "ones and zero's don't impact sound quality" crowd--I'm a bit surprised that they're not here already. 
wink.gif

I was surprised by the differences in USB cables. I have the Kimber and it's "Ok." I'd call it clinical. Haven't tried the Cardas. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #3 of 23
OK - I have been forewarned. I do think the Kimber cable is decently priced. And yeah - clinical or neutral is what I am after because if any coloring is going to happen - I want it to be at the amp stage only. I will be getting an RSA XP-7 which has a little warmth to it. So I just want everything lining in to it -  cables and DAC to be neutral, clear and detailed...

Cheers!

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 23
I don't understand how a usb cable is meant to colour sound, id go with the kimber as it's the cheapest and probley sounds no different to the more expensive cardas. I myself use a lindy premium gold usb cable and it doesn't do anything to the sound its therefore completely netrual and alot cheaper at only £16 for 0.5m.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 23
Can't say from experience with the usbs, but I have yet to be disappointed by the high-end Cardas cable lines. (Both in terms of construction and sound).

That said, I just picked up a 1m Clear USB that should be here soon (though I wont have a system to test it with until I track down my amp/dac 
frown.gif
 ).

Dave

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 23
Would be good to hear your comments when you get it sorted out. It's not the price that is the problem for me so much as the question: is it worth the extra $60 compared to the Kimber Kale...

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 23
"What?" indeed. When it comes to digital cables I guess people hear what they want to hear.

I've just bought an Optical cable from Hong Kong costing one dollar. And I am going to use it whether my new DAC will cost 200 dollars or 2000 dollars.

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 23
As long a USB cables are well made there is no significant difference in sound quality between them.

It is just the same as with interconnect cables. The "perceived" difference is auto-suggestion.

You will waste a lot of money on nonsense with expensive USB cables.

I would definitely suggest the Blue Jeans ones. I haven't tried them but others seem to be happy with them and the cost is reasonable.

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
If you tried different usb cables and here no difference, that is ok, but dont force your opinion to others.

I'm not forcing my opinion on anyone.

I'm giving very good advice to anyone that wishes to take it.

The reported differences in these expensive interconnects and USB cables etc is auto-suggestion.

Auto-suggestion is massively powerful in hearing and of course people want to flatter themselves that they are amongst a privileged few who can hear some difference in some silly cable.

Well, they've been conned plain and simple.

If you take apart one of these expensive cables you will see that the manufacturing costs were a fraction of the asking price.

Remember that the manufacturers have absolutely no research and development costs.

The people who claim to be able to hear differences with this cables have not demonstrated this in good blind ABX tests.

I recommend that people spend money on honest manufacturers of sensible well made cables. Not voodoo rubbish.

BTW I have listened to music with a great many types of interconnect in my time. Unlike you (I suspect) I remember well before these ridiculous cables arrived, I was even taken in by them myself when they arrived (about 30 years ago).

It's just auto-suggestion.

Don't waste money on this nonsense.

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #13 of 23
I'd personally put my money on an ADUM4160 USB Isolator, this will provide your DAC w/ a cleaner signal than any "premium" cable ever will o/

I've just bought an Optical cable from Hong Kong costing one dollar. And I am going to use it whether my new DAC will cost 200 dollars or 2000 dollars.

Glass toslink sounds way better that POF, IME(and others). POF has terrible optical properties(constringence, OTF/MTF sharpness)...this distorts the signal even further, and your S/PDIF receiver will have a hard time recovering the embedded clock.

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #14 of 23
Nov 30, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #15 of 23
I don't advise stuff I haven't heard myself...you can look up the Firestone Bravo and Tera X2 threads for more testimonials. This is a great sounding chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back