USB headphone AMP with Android Phones, possible ???
Feb 25, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #46 of 81

I starred the issue in google. As a Verizon customer I don't think I recognized any android's devices that support Cyanogenmod. Those few CDMA were sprint I believe.

With the prices on portable dac/amps so low lately having digital usb audio out via official firmware would definitely push me in the direction of Android when I choose to buy my first smartphone. Sure that would be in its own right a brick, but would certainly be an enjoyable, no nonsense brick without risks, as I can be satisfied choosing whichever amoled Android video player I like, knowing I won't have to sacrifice great audio.

Imagine using an external dac/amp with Rockbox for Android...

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #47 of 81
Mar 18, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #52 of 81
I hope for progress, but even if USB Audio will be enabled in the near future, do you think the battery of today's smartphones would last for more than a couple of hours with usage of USB-OTG?

Someone stated, that the battery of his Nokia N8 lasts for about 2 hours, when it's connected to a Fiio E7 via USB-OTG: http://www.head-fi.org/t/517432/nokia-n8-and-feeding-a-portable-dac-with-usb-on-the-go/135

That's impractical for portable use and after the mobile world congress with several product announcements, I don't see any smartphones with much more battery life anytime soon. The trend for more performance and bigger screens might compensate any advancements in battery life.

Mar 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #53 of 81
I think that post was half joking. Besides, you should be able to limit the power draw over USB on portable DACs which have their own internal batteries. Alternatively someone who's already carrying around a DAC with their phone ought to be able to carry an extended/spare battery.

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #54 of 81
I've ordered a Fiio E17 dac now 8 weeks ago and hope to connect it to my Toshiba Trive AT 105 (full USB full HDMI)

i hope it get's ICS with the USB host enabled.

I'm hoping to improve the sound output to my Beyer T-70. The Thrive gives enough power / quality listening to FLAC & MP3 files but no possible output for 96 hz/24 bit audio files. 

Using the HDMI output to the E17 must be possible but there are no apps that play only audio DVD / DSD / DTS files. Maybe this is a possibility ?

http://www.m2tech.biz/hiface2.html

SPECIFICATIONS

Connections
Input 1 x USB A type male
Output 1 x RCA or BNC female
I/O Standard
Input USB 2.0 Audio Format
Output S/PDIF Stereo Digital Audio Format
Sampling Frequency
44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4khZ, 192kHz
Resolution 16 up to 24 bit
Dimensions 10.2(d) x 2.2(h) x 2(w) cm
Power Supply 5V DC from USB bus
Temperature from 0°C to 70°C
Weight 50gr approx.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #55 of 81
Using the HDMI output to the E17 must be possible

No, the E17 is USB and optical S/PDIF (TOSlink) only.

As for the "hiFace Two", not only does it take its output from a USB port (which means, if it were supported, the E17 would be supported as well), but its output is RCA, while the E17 only accepts TOSlink connectors.

Mar 20, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #56 of 81

For the time being, the standard USB devices for USB host-capable Android devices are only USB hubs, USB mass storage devices and USB class for human interface devices (for example, mice and keyboards).

We have to lobby for imposing USB DAC as a standard Android USB device, like a standard USB device for every Mac or PC (i.e. we don’t have to request each individual PC manufacturer to add the USB audio capability).

Google should include USB host (and USB audio) on every new Google "Nexus" device, which is supposed to be a reference Android device for others.

The 1st out-of-the-box (i.e. without modding) Android device able to support USB audio is the Android 4.0 ICS powered Archos G9.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/15/archos-80-g9-turbo-ics-tablet-now-shipping/
http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/changes_firmware_archos_android_gen9it4.htm

Archos G9 & Logitech USB speaker
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=23852275

The Google issue "Enable USB audio", requesting Google to standardize USB audio on Android smartphones/tablets, is currently ranked 19 of 19,000.
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24614&sort=-stars&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars

It is ranked in top 3 of less than one-year-old requests.

Vote: Click on the star (it appears after signing in)

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #57 of 81
I'm waiting for ICS to enable the USB host mode on my Toshiba Thrive tablet. In the mean time I'm trying to find a way to use the full HDMI out on the tablet and connect it through an adapter with my Fiio E17. Problem is the adapter ... most of them require external voltage ==>> HDMI out to split audio & video. Not a very 'mobile' setup.

The audio connector 3.5 mm tablet to 3.5 mm DAC / AMP isn't very usefull either ==> no particular sound improvement ...

So at the moment it's laptop & mediamonkey + cloud storage + USB audio (E17) + headphone = quite ok. The sound quality improved a lot ! Strangely enough I still need to use the equilizer on the laptop.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #58 of 81
I've ordered a few of those microUSB to USB OTG cables thanks to Negakinu's advice. The ones I orderered specified they're for the SGS-i9000 (I have a T-Mo Vibrant, an SGS phone with the good Wolfson DAC)...

I'm eager to see how this will all play out. I am running CM9 nightly with Glitch Kernel (supports VooDoo Sound) I usually use n7player, but have a license for Poweramp, should it be necessary for getting the OTG function working.

Also starred the issue in Android for google code. I remember when they still didn't support *.flac... Wake up and smell the music, Google. LOL.

I'll post my success (and hopefully lack of) or failures here.

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #59 of 81
I am a bit dismayed over the lack of documentation in an organized manner about what works and what doesn't for USB Audio. We have cases where updates over air breaks the workaround all the time (I read it on HTC Desire S for example), and others where most of the modded kernels would not have tho novel feature, thus leaving the odd ones that have forgotten or left outdated. 

At this point in time, I think the most complete and easy to use is the Archos G9 tablets. Nook Color wise, I think I need to get one and play with a few kernel/ROM to see where things are currently.

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #60 of 81

Quote:
I've ordered a few of those microUSB to USB OTG cables thanks to Negakinu's advice. The ones I orderered specified they're for the SGS-i9000 (I have a T-Mo Vibrant, an SGS phone with the good Wolfson DAC)...

I'm eager to see how this will all play out. I am running CM9 nightly with Glitch Kernel (supports VooDoo Sound) I usually use n7player, but have a license for Poweramp, should it be necessary for getting the OTG function working.

Also starred the issue in Android for google code. I remember when they still didn't support *.flac... Wake up and smell the music, Google. LOL.

I'll post my success (and hopefully lack of) or failures here.

Read this when testing your cable!!:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1092493

Users who are viewing this thread

Back