USB from Computer vs Optical from TV ?
Nov 27, 2012 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

LoveAndHonor

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I've benefited greatly from the amount of information available on these boards, though you'll probably notice that my post ratio says I am much more of a lurker / silent reader than a regular contributor. 
smily_headphones1.gif

So far I've been listening to music with my cans (Pro900) plugged in the amp (amp being USB-plugged to my computer).

Yesterday I ordered an optical cable to use the optical line out of my amp Ibasso D12 and see for myself if there's a significant improvement from my current set-up.

However, I can't get my head around something. I don't use my computer screen to browse the web / prepare my playlists, it's always plugged on my TV from the computer's HDMI port.

Therefore, I was wondering if you guys could enlighten me on what would be the best set-up as far as general SQ goes:

Computer (FLAC / foobar2000) > USB > Ibasso D12 > Cans

or

Computer (FLAC / foobar2000) > HDMI > TV > Optical > Ibasso D12 > Cans

I think with the TV being in the middle of this set-up I might lose some SQ on the way but I've got no other option since my computer doesn't have an optical line-out.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 3
The first one. In the second setup, the TV would downconverting the digital signal from the HDMI to S/PDF -> optical -> D12. The more conversion the more jitter and the more degradation of the digital audio.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 3
Thank you for the answer.
Got the optical cable today and the difference (downgrade in sound) was much more noticeable than I thought it would be.

I guess the optical cable would still be handy whenever I want to play video games. 
tongue.gif

Last question: does it make any difference in getting the sound out from the PS3 optical line-out rather than the TV's (when playing video games)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back