USB Emu 0404?
May 1, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Xiode2) So your plan is to get analog out from your SACDP into EMU and encode it? AFAIK SACD players do not output digital, since the format itself is closed.

Doesn't the USB Emu function as a sound card? I was planning to use my computer as a source, straight from a USB 2.0 plug.

I was planning on doing: Computer USB 2.0 -> USB Emu 0404 -> cable goes here -> Rockhopper M3 -> DT990

May 1, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #17 of 28
I was referring to this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking to re-rip all of my music to FLAC and use my computer as a source rather than my SACD player.

The word "SACD" caught my eye. You can't rip SACD. The only way to get a FLAC out of it would be to have the player send out a regular analog signal into E-MUs inputs, and digitize it (i guess 24 bit / 96 KHz stream would be fitting). If you mostly use regular CDs, then everything is good
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Doesn't the USB Emu function as a sound card? I was planning to use my computer as a source, straight from a USB 2.0 plug.

I was planning on doing: Computer USB 2.0 -> USB Emu 0404 -> cable goes here -> Rockhopper M3 -> DT990

Why won't you use an optical connection? i.e. either the toslink or coax from your soundcard? That way it is slightly more "direct", and one less set of drivers to go thru.

May 1, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #19 of 28
The USB Emu 0404 would be fuctioning as a sound card, externally. In the grand scheme of things, this is how it would go:

External 250GB HDD -> Linksys NSLU2 (for sharing the HDD among multiple computers) -> Cat5 Cable -> Gigabit switch -> Main computer

Then, from there: Computer -> External USB Emu 0404 -> cable goes here -> Rockhopper M3 -> DT990

And in response to Ahriman4891's post, I'll be ripping from regular CD's, not SACD. It's just a SACD player.
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by pkshiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why won't you use an optical connection? i.e. either the toslink or coax from your soundcard? That way it is slightly more "direct", and one less set of drivers to go thru.

Umm, how is it one less set of drivers or more direct? In the case of toslink, the data would have to go thru the existing soundcard drivers, to the TTL data-to-toslink conversion, through an optical cable, then be reconverted back to TTL from optical in the 0404, wouldn't it? There probably isn't a whole lot to be gained, unless there is something in a particular PC configuration that causes big problems with the USB transfer.

May 2, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #21 of 28
What's TTL? And is TS Toslink? You guys use too many acronyms!

May 2, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

What's TTL? And is TS Toslink? You guys use too many acronyms!

Sorry! TTL is the 5 volt signal level used in computer hardware, and it's converted to a 1 volt level for coax SPDIF. Toslink is another word for an optical connection, and it is basically the SPDIF signal converted to red LED light for transfer via fiber optics rather than electrically. My apologies if that is an oversimplification for the ultra-technical folks out there.

"TS" means "tip and sleeve", or a typical mono phone plug (could be 1/4" or a 3.5mm mini.......two contacts on the connectors.) "TRS" means "tip-ring-sleeve" and is a three contact plug......either left signal, right signal, and ground for typical headphone/stereo audio connections, or positive phase, negative phase, and ground for a balanced mono signal........

Good pictures and some explanation on that topic here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_plug

May 18, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #23 of 28
Okay, my little input time!
So i've been looking at better sources from my noisy computer audio...
and even before being an aware audio guy (nope, not audiophile yet!
happy_face1.gif
) i've been eyeing the 0404 usb(I like to make music sometimes too!)
But even still i'm a little confused. Here's me preguntas:
So i can do usb or plain-old-digital (optical/coaxial) input...if i do usb, i need to have drivers, and what is the maximum bandwidth i can do with usb? i know usb 2.0 is 60mb/s, but i've seen a lot of complaints over usb interface being incapable (16vs24 bit is not really so much a problem (unless there are conversion problems?), but 44.1 vs 96 is more of an issue)

This thing can do phantom 48v power... how? i can only see a 5v DC input, and maybe 5v usb (just some links would be adequate)
What are the microphone inputs? its not xlr-looking (would i need/what adapters for xlr-microphones0
and...
the balanced output means that each 6.35mm is TS, so i would need a RCA to dual mono 1/4" right?
thanks

May 18, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #24 of 28
The three year thread rez.  Impressive.

USB2.0 is 480 Mb/s, 60 MB/s.

Only most USB DACs are limited by USB.  The 0404 USB can do 24/192 over USB, on two channels out, two channels in (IE: Stereo), because it has special drivers to do so.

It's hard to explain, but it can indeed supply Phantom Power.
It has two combo plugs, which are XLR/TRS inputs both built into one plug.

Even easier, you can just connect a stereo 3.5mm --> RCA adapter to the mains double on the back.

A little research on your own part would've been good.  I learned all this from their website.

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=15185&nav=technicalSpecifications

May 18, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #25 of 28
I have a question, so I know this DAC is async over usb, do the drivers allow audio output from any source youtube, cds,dvds,internet ect... or is just wth certain audio programs like windows media player or something?

May 18, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:
I have a question, so I know this DAC is async over usb, do the drivers allow audio output from any source youtube, cds,dvds,internet ect... or is just wth certain audio programs like windows media player or something?

Any source, you can set it as your default audio device in Windows.

May 18, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #27 of 28
Awesome I think this will be the dac Ill be getting since its the only async dac I know of that also has balanced outputs.

One more question if you dont mind, will it work Async with mac osx? thanks

May 18, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:
Awesome I think this will be the dac Ill be getting since its the only async dac I know of that also has balanced outputs.

One more question if you dont mind, will it work Async with mac osx? thanks

Yes, it's fully Mac/CoreAudio compatible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back