USB Emu 0404?
May 1, 2007 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Xiode

100+ Head-Fier
After having just ordered a NAC (Linksys NSLU2, a.k.a "The Slug") and an external 250GB hard drive, I'm looking to re-rip all of my music to FLAC and use my computer as a source rather than my SACD player.

I'm seriously considering getting a Emu 0404 USB, being that it's #1) external and #2) so highly reviewed. I've heard that its amp output is "balanced". What exactly does this mean? Do I have to have a balanced cable to take advantage of it? I'm going to be running *some* sort of cable from it to my Rockhopper M3 amp for a little extra juice, which I/O interface is best?

Suggestions/reccomendations are appreciated
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 28
i know the 0404 has balanced outputs for speakers...

and i hear that coaxial is the "best," even though i use toslink

May 1, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by justn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uraflit, i have a av-710 and a 0404 usb as well, why are you connecting the two via a TOSLink?

though it is the EMU0404USB, i find that there are some lag problems with it that i cannot solve, so i use toslink... and it's flawless. plus, no need for drivers and headache from software

(my main reason for switching was because DVD audio lagged like a mofo... and i watch the occasional movie
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 28
ahhhh, thats what i had figured.
I really don't want to derail this thread and maybe should I should just start my own, but I'm trying to rip some vinyl with the 0404. i had assumed i could just take the rca's out of the turntable, turn that into a 3-pole 1/4" jack and plug it in front. but i'm only getting left channel on the A input and just right channel on B input. am i going to have to make a rca to xlr or phono for each channel?

May 1, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
though it is the EMU0404USB, i find that there are some lag problems with it that i cannot solve, so i use toslink... and it's flawless. plus, no need for drivers and headache from software

(my main reason for switching was because DVD audio lagged like a mofo... and i watch the occasional movie
biggrin.gif

And this was on coxial? If not, what was the interface causing the lag? You have to have drivers/software depending on your output interface?

May 1, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 28
the line output is "balanced". You need an amplifier with balanced inputs (xlr or TRS) to take advantage of it. An unbalanced cable (typical RCA to TS) can also be used. If you use a balanced cable, you get the advantage of a much higher output from the 0404, and generally balanced has less noise. Balanced cables can also be run for long distances with no loss of quality.

May 1, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #8 of 28
So it's my understanding that S/PDIF is a broad I/O interface that encompasses several others (RCA, Toslink, Coxial)... correct?

May 1, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 28
Xiode

1) RCA, Toslink, Coaxial are just cable types (hardware). S/PDIF is a protocol--a set of rules detailing how data is sent. You can use many different protocols over the same cable type, if devices on both ends support them (e.g. FTP and HTTP over network cable).

2) So your plan is to get analog out from your SACDP into EMU and encode it? AFAIK SACD players do not output digital, since the format itself is closed.

May 1, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And this was on coxial? If not, what was the interface causing the lag? You have to have drivers/software depending on your output interface?

He means the USB interface was causng lag. You have to install drivers to use USB on 0404. I use the coax on my 0404 being fed by X-Fi digital out, this way I can use it in Vista too as Vista has no drivers for 0404 yet. I used 0404 with USB interface and watched DVD movies and noticed no lag.

May 1, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjonno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the line output is "balanced". You need an amplifier with balanced inputs (xlr or TRS) to take advantage of it. An unbalanced cable (typical RCA to TS) can also be used. If you use a balanced cable, you get the advantage of a much higher output from the 0404, and generally balanced has less noise. Balanced cables can also be run for long distances with no loss of quality.

I don't believe there is any "higher output from the 0404" with balanced cables. Also, quality unbalaced cables are very unlikely to pick up any interference in a home audio environment. Balanced cables are only of benefit in a studio environment where piles of cables are heaped on top of one another. TS to RCA (unbalanced) > home sterio , works fine with the 0404USB

May 1, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe there is any "higher output from the 0404" with balanced cables. Also, quality unbalaced cables are very unlikely to pick up any interference in a home audio environment. Balanced cables are only of benefit in a studio environment where piles of cables are heaped on top of one another. TS to RCA (unbalanced) > home sterio , works fine with the 0404USB

Balanced connections do indeed have a higher output (peak-to-peak voltage difference) than do consumer-level unbalanced signals. In a unit such as the 0404 USB, when one uses TS plugs in the TRS jacks, the level is (I'm 99% certain) 6 dB lower than the balanced signal.......but unless one has a balanced amp to take advantage of that, it's a moot point.

May 1, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by justn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahhhh, thats what i had figured.
I really don't want to derail this thread and maybe should I should just start my own, but I'm trying to rip some vinyl with the 0404. i had assumed i could just take the rca's out of the turntable, turn that into a 3-pole 1/4" jack and plug it in front. but i'm only getting left channel on the A input and just right channel on B input. am i going to have to make a rca to xlr or phono for each channel?

The 1/4" phono inputs on the front are mono. So yes, you need a cable that goes from dual rca to dual mono 1/4" to get stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back