USB DAC for gaming ?
Jul 19, 2008 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hastafareh

New Head-Fier
Right now I've set aside $100 for a USB DAC, decided that internal sound cards are too much of a hassle with slow driver updates and compatibility issues with Vista. Also, I vow never to buy any creative products again. That said, I currently own a HD555 and I'm looking to buy the hotusb1. I will only use 2.1 speakers or headphones.

I was hoping those with USB DACs would be kind enough to share their gaming experience here. With USB DACs, do you lose positioning or soundstage due to the lack of DSP chip? Would I still be able to tell how far my enemy footsteps are in FPS games ?

Jul 20, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 6
The only thing you really lose is the "inside a tin can" EAX.

Jul 20, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 6
Yeah EAX is overrated. I had Creative Xtreme Music and it sounded the best for gaming, when I used audio creation mode and bit perfect playback. My Asus Xonar D2X sounds the best in Hi-Fi mode
. All these EAX and Dolby phones produce unnatural and tinny sound for me.

Jul 20, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 6
I use an Alien DAC and it works really well for gaming. No effects or anything, but it has much better channel separation, far lower noise floor and pretty much beats the pants off my old Audigy and the el-crappo onboard AC97 sound chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back