USB DAC for 50€ - Is there one?
Nov 2, 2009 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ipumuk

100+ Head-Fier
hi,
I want to buy a DAC to get rid the ground noise of my computer.

Currently I am using the onboard soundcard of my cheap asrock mainboard.

The only thing that bothers me is the fact that I can hear my hdd and other strange noises.

I want to connect this dac to my 3,5mm input of my z-audio lambda amp.

I am considering buying the musiland, but I really do not want to spend the same amount of money on the DAC I spent on my headphones.

Is there a toleratable amp in the 50€ price range? Shipping within europe would be great to save another 20€ shipping cost ;D

thanks for reading!

Nov 2, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 10
The HRT Music Streamer is supposed to be truly excellent for $100 (Absolute Sound said it sounded very close to the Stello DA100, which is many times the price) - don't know what availability in Europe is like

Nov 2, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 10
Nov 2, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 10
HA INFO NG27 - Headphone Amplifier USB

a friend of mine just bought it, he loves it!

no ASIO/KS though, but he's trying the ploytec drivers as we speak...and he's put an OPA2132P and 2*OPA827

he prefers the SQ to his STX tbh
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 10
thanks for your great input. those cheap amps are exactly what I am looking for.

so far I am considering the usb dac cable for 60$ and the HOTAUDIO DAC DESTROYER for 70$.

i guess they both deliver the same soundquality equivalent to my onboard soundcard.

the advantage of the destroyer would be that i could also connect my stereoamp via the rcas.

the advantage of the cable would be its small design and portability.

very hard decision.

Nov 2, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't forget that you can roll op-amps on mine, it's a hell lot of fun
wink.gif

the HA INFO NG27 definitely looks like a great device. but currently i am looking for dac only as i already have a amp.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #9 of 10
How about the Behringer UCA202? That has a headphone jack, and S/PDIF out. I'm sure there are better things, but it has to be better than onboard sound.

An old Creative Extigy isn't awful, if you happen to find one cheap. It has a headphone jack, and is powered separately, which is probably the best solution for eliminating noise pickup, but because of that, not so portable. It'll work as a basic sound device with default Windoze drivers; the Creative drivers allow more bells and whistles.

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #10 of 10
thanks again for all your suggestions.

I bought the hotaudio destroyer.

I decided to buy this amp because of the rca + mini out. thats perfect for me because i have a stereo amp with an rca in and a headphone amp with a mini in.

also, a lot of people already have it and there are very few complaints about it.

I ll tell you about the noise reduction and "soundquality" once i get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back