USB DAC and amp combo under $200
Jul 8, 2008 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Nike T

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I was wondering what is the best value for a usb dac and amp combo. I finally got a job this summer so I'll have a bit of extra cash. I've heard of the Go-Vibe Petite, Headroom Total Bithead, and the IBasso D2. Am I missing anything and what would you guys recommend I get. I'll be using this probably into college (going to be a junior next year) so it has to sound good enough to keep me satisfied as I improve my headphone selection and also has to be rugged and long lasting enough. I listen mostly to rock, but I've been trying to get into jazz lately and I've gotten a few cd's if that matters.

Jul 8, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 12
If you can manage to find a used or new Octavart 01, that would be my recommendation.

I don't have that particular unit, but I have "THE ONE", which is the amp-only version. Very, very nice for the price.

I thought that they were still sold on Ebay, but I can't find any on there.

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 12
A used iBasso D1 is also a good choice. In addition to a USB/DAC, it has optical, coax and analog inputs. Does a pretty decent job driving a higher impedance headphone, though it is a little bigger than the other fine units you are interested in. The D1 can also be used just as a DAC and be fed into another headphone amp. Very versatile and unique.

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 12
@ breakfastchef, do you know if the ibasso d2 can also be used just as a dac?

Also does anyone know if the ones I listed and the Octavart 01 can be used as a standalone DAC?

Thanks for the posts

EDIT: I forgot to say that I'm using ubuntu, does this affect things or no?

EDIT2: also I do not have any way to get optical or coaxial at the moment. I'm using a laptop if that matters and am using the stock sound card. if the octavart 01 is really that good, should I use some money to get that behringer uca202 thing that I saw in the octavart thread?

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 12
does it need to be portable? if you plan on using it on-the-go with an ipod or something i recommend staying away from the headroom total bithead. Its awkward shape makes it very hard to stack an ipod on top. The jacks on the corners of the case make it feel way bigger when things are plugged in.

if it is for desktop use, this is quite popular
http://cgi.ebay.com/ZERO-NEW-24BIT-1...QQcmdZViewItem

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the post, when it says USB PC link, does it mean that it comes with a special cord to connect straight to USB? Because it's only optical and coax right? If it doesn't connect straight to USB, what is a cheap way to convert the USB to SPDIF, all the ones I've seen are over like $120

Jul 13, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 12
yeah that particular sale comes with a little box than converts usb to optical, those can also be purchased rather cheap, but i really don't know the difference between the $20 and the $200 converters

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can manage to find a used or new Octavart 01, that would be my recommendation...

The Octavart Amp/Dac is an excellent unit, the O1 Amp/Dac was the same but its name was changed to the Octavart Amp/Dac. Both are identical except for the name change, provided of course you get them in the Amp/Dac version (both were ofered in an amp only version)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nike T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ breakfastchef, do you know if the ibasso d2 can also be used just as a dac?

Also does anyone know if the ones I listed and the Octavart 01 can be used as a standalone DAC?

Thanks for the posts

EDIT: I forgot to say that I'm using ubuntu, does this affect things or no?

EDIT2: also I do not have any way to get optical or coaxial at the moment. I'm using a laptop if that matters and am using the stock sound card. if the octavart 01 is really that good, should I use some money to get that behringer uca202 thing that I saw in the octavart thread?

Neither the D2 nor the Octavart Amp/Dac can be used as DAC only. Sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does it need to be portable? if you plan on using it on-the-go with an ipod or something i recommend staying away from the headroom total bithead. Its awkward shape makes it very hard to stack an ipod on top. The jacks on the corners of the case make it feel way bigger when things are plugged in.

if it is for desktop use, this is quite popular
ZERO NEW 24BIT 192KHZ DAC +HEAD PHONE AMP +USB PC link - eBay (item 140248764185 end time Jul-16-08 08:34:10 PDT)

Three is a huge thread here on the Zero. Its owners are very happy and you should spend sometime reading on it features. The same could be said of the Zhaolu.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks guys, so I was reading through the Zero thread and I saw the dimensions and it's pretty big, like you said about desktop usage. Anyway, I want this investment to last me through college, because I'm poor, and so I think I might want something that I can pack up and take with me without having to lug around a big dac/amp. So what do you guys think of the smaller dac/amp combos. And I probably won't be using them with a portable player, to much stuff to carry around.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nike T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys, so I was reading through the Zero thread and I saw the dimensions and it's pretty big, like you said about desktop usage. Anyway, I want this investment to last me through college, because I'm poor, and so I think I might want something that I can pack up and take with me without having to lug around a big dac/amp. So what do you guys think of the smaller dac/amp combos. And I probably won't be using them with a portable player, to much stuff to carry around.

iBasso Boa $175, I use mine wth my iPod and Laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back