usb DAC, a good idea?
May 23, 2010 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ccbass

100+ Head-Fier
I'm relatively new to audio equipment and I'm trying to figure things out.  My current setup is extremely bland compared to others, however with my limited budget, and other expensive hobbies taking my money, namely photography and scuba diving, I'm trying to get the best sound with what I have.  

I currently use a Macbook Pro with a few albums imported as ALAC or FLAC and then sent straight to my maudio AV40's via a 3.5mm to RCA. 

Would I benefit from using something like the Nuforce uDAC instead of the integrated DAC inside of the laptop? 

May 23, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 11
The uDac will definitely be an improvement over onboard sound, but depending on equipment you've got, to what extent I'm not too sure.

May 23, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 11
Ahh, no headphones I see. Someone else might have a better idea :)

May 24, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 11
Yeah, I say you would benefit from it.
In the sense that the Nuforce uDAC is of higher quality than the DAC built into your MBP. Not to mention that it has line-level output for your AV40.

May 24, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
In the sense that the Nuforce uDAC is of higher quality than the DAC built into your MBP. Not to mention that it has line-level output for your AV40.

+1

May 24, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 11
Well, in my opinion, an external DAC (such as Nuforce uDAC, usually with headphone amp) is targeted at music enthusastic while external USB soundcards (such as Creative X-Fi or Xonar U1) target at general users who watch movies, listen music, and play games thru laptop. If you want a multi-functions rig, you should go with an external USB soundcards; if I focus on music enjoyment, I should go an external DAC instead.

May 24, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Some use USB inputs on DAC and other suggest S/Pdif is better.  I guess it really depends on what you are after and what your needs are.

Mostly true, but can also be DAC dependent. Some DAC's (Benchmark DAC1) have their USB inputs 'optomized' to equal the s/pdif for error correction and/or sample rate input ability.
I assume that is to make the DAC more universal as USB output is more common than s/pdif.

shane

May 25, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:

What do you mean line level output?  Do you mean RCA to RCA?

Quote:
Well, in my opinion, an external DAC (such as Nuforce uDAC, usually with headphone amp) is targeted at music enthusastic while external USB soundcards (such as Creative X-Fi or Xonar U1) target at general users who watch movies, listen music, and play games thru laptop. If you want a multi-functions rig, you should go with an external USB soundcards; if I focus on music enjoyment, I should go an external DAC instead.

If I were to get a DAC, I have no use for an amp right now as the speakers are already self amped.  As for the external soundcard, I primarily use my laptop for music and editing photographs and on occasion movies.

Quote:

Mostly true, but can also be DAC dependent. Some DAC's (Benchmark DAC1) have their USB inputs 'optomized' to equal the s/pdif for error correction and/or sample rate input ability.
I assume that is to make the DAC more universal as USB output is more common than s/pdif.

shane

I have an s/pdif out through a 3.5mm toslink, however DACs that allow for s/pdif input seem to be out of my budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back