USB connection to Dacmagic?
Jun 19, 2011 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

reverbs

New Head-Fier
Hi, I would like to ask question in relation to my audio settings. I normally play music through itunes and sometimes play Flac files through Amarra. I am not really serious listener just enjoy a good quality music.

My current setting at the moment is Imac - USB connection to DacMagic - DacMagic - Aktimate Mini.

I am looking to purchase either Hiface USB or Audio GD Digital Interface from my Imac to DacMagic. My choice is toward purchasing Audio GD Digital Interface B with PSU.

I am a newbie in audio system so I had a few questions:
  • I wonder if my Aktimate Mini is good enough or will it become a bottleneck with Dacmagic and USB Spdif connection?
  • From my understanding Audio GD is only asynchronous USB device, will my Dacmagic is not good enough for Audio GD DIgital Interface? (I read through threads that Dacmagic is kind of entry level Dac)
  • If I end up purchasing Audio GD Digital interface will that kind of replacement for sound card; so in future I don't need to invest in soundcard just use USB-spdif device to connect to my stereo system? What is the difference of using soundcard or not since USB spdif is already good enough?
  • Does the difference quite signiface using USB-spdif device considering my system and my listening usage?

Hope you guys can help me answering newbie question
smile.gif

Jun 19, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 11
Before you spend any serious money try the following.
The iMac has an optical out (the headphone out doubles as a Toslink).
Get a Toslink cable with a mini-adapter
This enables you to compare
iMac > USB > DacMagic
iMac > Toslink > DacMagic
It might give you an impression what will happens if you go the SPDIF (over Toslink) way.

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 11
+1 on the Toslink.
DacMagic via USB is meh, and limited to 44Khz.
DacMagic via Toslink is HEY! and good for up to 96 Khz.

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 11
Does this mean if I use an optical cable to the dacmagic using my onboard crappy soundcard spdif slot, it will be better then USB?
Or do I need a good soundcard with SPDIF?

Jul 2, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #9 of 11
Got my toslink cable but I wasn't sure what happen when I try to play on higher sampling rate. The music sounds like been fast forward, is that because of the issue on the cable? (kinda like hear alvin and chipmunk voice). Is it maybe because the original source from 44.1khz then I try to upsample it 96khz then sounds like fast forwarded. SUBMIT

Jul 2, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #10 of 11
You need a software player that does the upsampling, like the freeware audirvana for mac.

Do NOT use an audio editor to change the sample rate of your songs, that does not work and screws up the songs.

Ideally you get some sample tracks in flac that have 96khz. At hd tracks for example. Hd-tracks.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back