USB > Coax converters?
Mar 14, 2009 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

compuryan

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I recently bought a netbook (it actually just shipped and hasn't arrived yet). But I will need something so I can hook up my DAC1 to it. I've looked at the HAGusb, the cryoparts pulse converter, and the blue circle audio usb thingee. I know empirical audio makes the off-ramp, but that is way out of my price range.

Does any one know how the HAGusb compares to the digital out on a Creative Audigy 2ZS (or similar card)?

Also does anyone have any experience comparing these USB-coax converters or have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Mar 14, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 32
hmm just found the blue circle audio "usb thingee", which is about $169 new. reviews prefer it over the hagusb. I'm starting to lean towards it.

Mar 15, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 32
I'm interested in this as well, as I am thinking of buying a USB audio device (what PC people call an "external sound card") to hook up my new DAC. The trouble I'm having is finding one that supports 24/96 over USB without drivers, which limits things considerably.

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 32
I've heard bad things about the USB Thingee from various members (used to suggest it as an affordable option, but no longer will as a result), in that it sounds "thin" and "overly analytical", I'd stay away (even if they're exaggerated claims, why bother?)

and compuryan, lemme guess, you have the DAC1 without USB? just to make life difficult, eh? (would it be reasonable to sell it, and re-buy the USB model? (its like a $200 price difference new retail))

what about going with an external soundcard, such as the E-MU 0404 or M-Audio FastTrack stuff?

@ currawong:
what you want simply does not exist, you can't have "without drivers" and "computer connected", even "USB D/A's" (like the DAC1 USB) will have a driver running

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 32
for currawong: the Bel Canto USB link and the Empirical Audio Off Ramp both support 24/96 but they're both quite pricey.

An external USB sound card might be the ticket. I am actually pretty satisfied with the sound I get from my Audigy 2ZS, its just that its PCI, so won't work in a laptop. Lastly, you're correct that I have a DAC1 without USB. However, I don't want to get rid of it because it has some unique modifications on the inside which really enhance the sound, I'm afraid the USB model might actually be a downgrade in quality vs. my modded DAC1.

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for currawong: the Bel Canto USB link and the Empirical Audio Off Ramp both support 24/96 but they're both quite pricey.

An external USB sound card might be the ticket. I am actually pretty satisfied with the sound I get from my Audigy 2ZS, its just that its PCI, so won't work in a laptop. Lastly, you're correct that I have a DAC1 without USB. However, I don't want to get rid of it because it has some unique modifications on the inside which really enhance the sound, I'm afraid the USB model might actually be a downgrade in quality vs. my modded DAC1.

you could always re-mod it, and re-experience it all
tongue.gif

nah, I understand that, so I guess you're stuck with it (apparently thats not a bad thing though
tongue_smile.gif
)

I believe the USB sound card is probably the only answer/solution here, or the Turtle Beach USB-> S/PDIF thing

as far as the Bel Canto and Empirical Audio boxes, they'll still be running drivers, so I don't see how that satisfies his insane request?
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

These two are the only options supporting 24/96 driverless nowadays. There are some rumors about similar unit from headamp in the near future, otherwise you best bet is Trends UD-10.1, paired with battery pack or CIAudio PSU it's probably the best 16/48 solution you can find today.

Cheers.

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These two are the only options supporting 24/96 driverless nowadays. There are some rumors about similar unit from headamp in the near future, otherwise you best bet is Trends UD-10.1, paired with battery pack or CIAudio PSU it's probably the best 16/48 solution you can find today.

Cheers.

why are we saying "driverless"? there is no such thing, period

there is always a driver loaded in order to use a piece of hardware, else the piece of hardware is not used, period

so wheres the confusion?

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif

there is always a driver loaded in order to use a piece of hardware, else the piece of hardware is not used, period

so wheres the confusion?

The word "driverless" is just a marketing fluff used by some audio manufacturers to describe their usb converters/dacs that are auto-detected by windows/mac.

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The word "driverless" is just a marketing fluff used by some audio manufacturers to describe their usb converters/dacs that are auto-detected by windows/mac.

Oh c'mon now....they would never mislead us like that.
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif

so wheres the confusion?

Yet another thread you're trashing with silly crap. To be specific though, we mean that you don't have to install ANOTHER driver to use the device, but just plug it in.

More usefully, since I asked him about it, the owner of Audio-gd (whom I'm buying my DAC from) told me he is making a USB to coax digital converter. Since someone linked to the maker of the 24/96 USB chip that Benchmark use, I asked him about it, and he said he needs to investigate it, but could have something working in 3-4 months. So it looks like, for me, I have to find some USB or Firewire device to use in the mean time, possibly putting up with no 24/96.

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #12 of 32
After a bit of research I settled on the HagUSB option. As I only ever use CDs anyway, I don't really care about using higher than 16/44.1.

The deciding factor for me was that Audio Note use the HagUSB in their very well regarded DAC kits.

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a bit of research I settled on the HagUSB option. As I only ever use CDs anyway, I don't really care about using higher than 16/44.1.

The deciding factor for me was that Audio Note use the HagUSB in their very well regarded DAC kits.

Hmm, they may not be so well regarded with a USB input. I'm not ragging on the HagUSB as I think it's a great design and kit, but I did not like it as much as my 0404 with BNC out - I just don't think the PCM270x as converter is the ticket for highest quality coax out.

Mar 15, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, they may not be so well regarded with a USB input. I'm not ragging on the HagUSB as I think it's a great design and kit, but I did not like it as much as my 0404 with BNC out - I just don't think the PCM270x as converter is the ticket for highest quality coax out.

I have the HagUSB-XLR and have had two other HagUSBs with standard RCA output and have sold them for some reason in the past. When I see the need for these I go HagUSB or with my M-Audio USB Audiophile. That 404 is also a nice unit though.

The Headamp Pico has a great converter built into it and the implementation is extremely good. It is based on the PCM2707. So don't rag on the PCM270* devices to much or you might be showing an unfounded bias which may undermine any arguments you might really have.

Mar 15, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Yet another thread you're trashing with silly crap. To be specific though, we mean that you don't have to install ANOTHER driver to use the device, but just plug it in.

Still needs driver support though. Slightly important if you decide to use Linux and it doesn't work Much like people complaining with Vista 64 drivers on certain devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back