USB clicks and pops!???
Dec 17, 2009 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

djembeplay

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I have a USB DAC... it sounds fine with the exception of these clicks and pops in my audio. I'm using Foobar on Windows 7 on a core2 duo laptop with 1 gig of ram.

I've tried both KS and Wasapi... both have the same problem, although KS is less pronounced. I've adjusted my buffer length ad-nausium and have only found marginal improvements, but no end-all solution.

I even went into my bios to see if there was a way to allocate more resources to my USB ports somehow.

I'm just about at the end of my rope here... TEEECCCHH SUPPPOOORRRT!

Dec 17, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 11
Are the pops random or do they occur when something else is happening? I sometimes get clicks when I use my mouse. Switching to another usb port might help.

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 11
Code:

Code:
[left]Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor] "CStateFlags"=dword:00000008[/left]

known to fix glitches on audio USB, worth a shot...Musiland advises to apply it if you get random glitches on the left channel.

but first try dpclat.exe, if you get ever red bars you prolly have some nasty windows drivers hogging the system: DPC Latency Checker

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 11
you can search for "CStateFlags" on google, it's supposed to fix a lot of problems on firewire/USB...it seems to mess w/ the ACPI layer, even Dell advises to do it..I did apply it for the hell of it ^^

Dec 18, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If possible, try disabling SpeedStep in the BIOS.

I advise against this. It's not likely to be the issue, and if you're running off of a laptop, it means SIGNIFICANTLY lowered battery life. Even on a desktop, it means your computer will use significantly more energy (something those of us in hotter climates would like to avoid
wink.gif
).

Dec 18, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Code:

Code:
[left]Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor] "CStateFlags"=dword:00000008[/left]

known to fix glitches on audio USB, worth a shot...Musiland advises to apply it if you get random glitches on the left channel.

but first try dpclat.exe, if you get ever red bars you prolly have some nasty windows drivers hogging the system: DPC Latency Checker

Being a huge newb here, but it's the registry, so I figure I'd ask before I fudge up my whole Windows install: I can't find a "Processor" folder after "Control" in regedit - should I just be making a .reg file with the above text and File -> Import in regedit?

Dec 18, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #11 of 11
Did you just try another port? Sometimes USB controllers can share IRQ's with other devices and it can become a problem. I would try this first before you start hacking up the registry. Also, make sure your usig the latest chipset and USB driver for your motherboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back