USB cable and Sound Quality
Sep 3, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #392 of 783
Any chance you two could take that up with a moderator instead of thread-crapping ? Some of us have actually posted info pertinent to computer-based audio and USB connections specifically - we ARE in Sound Science and we aren't derailing anyone's discussion of a specific component. If you want the thread locked, there are people who can do that - personally, I think you would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #394 of 783
Quote:

I like NFS a little better myself 
smile.gif

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #395 of 783
Quote:
Well; I used to work in the standard body that decide the spec. The deciding factors are EMI, BER, distance and cost. CAT5/6 cables needed to be backward compatible that's why they're 100 ohms. They also need to be 100 meters in length. This is why there is a difference in length and speed between protocol. This has nothing to do with cable quality but more with law of physic and what can be achieved at a reasonable cost. I will challenge any body that can make a USB cable to go 100 meters. Boutique cable will not have better performance than a standard compliant cable.

Imagine this, if indeed cable can enhance or degrade quality of music, people will be complaining about the music they bought. Bittorrent will no longer exist. There will be audio grade phone wire and audio grade DSL services. Why would a source music downloaded from 30/40 year old skinny phone wire sound better through a boutique USB cable?

You worked on the 10GBase-T standard dude? 
popcorn.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #396 of 783
Quote:

You worked on the 10GBase-T standard dude? 
popcorn.gif

Yes I did in the beginning. But in theory 10G (over 100 meters) was not possible. We then have a bunch of startup with a bunch of PhDs that joined. The proposal was way too much for my tiny brain. So we have to bring in the big guns, and I dropped out.

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #397 of 783
Quote:
Yes I did in the beginning. But in theory 10G (over 100 meters) was not possible. We then have a bunch of startup with a bunch of PhDs that joined. The proposal was way too much for my tiny brain. So we have to bring in the big guns, and I dropped out.

LOL! I was one of the dudes that brought up the first link (AFAIK) over 100 meters with CAT-6 with BER < 10e-12 (was both Systems/FW engineer on a startup.) It's a small world! 
beerchug.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #398 of 783
looking at your location, you must be working at the S company. I used to work for the B company. I am now officially retired. It is a small world indeed. Knowing my background, surely you understand where I am coming from.

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #399 of 783
Quote:
looking at your location, you must be working at the S company. I used to work for the B company. I am now officially retired. It is a small world indeed. Knowing my background, surely you understand where I am coming from.

Yup, I used to work for the S company, which got split and it is now part of the M company
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #400 of 783
Quote:
Yup, I used to work for the S company, which got split and it is now part of the M company
biggrin.gif

Never knew that!

In another life, I would have liked to be part of Easy Company.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #402 of 783
Ok, i have finally recieved the usb endorphin cable from stefan audio art. Iwill be doing a dbt at the end of the week on saturday, i will put up a pic of the cable tonight once i am home

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #403 of 783
II was very skeptical about audible differences in usb cable.
But having experienced only by mere curiosity with some usb cable and my ODAC, now I am sure that there are differences and  sometimes differences are large enough to think that I have not changed a cable but a source :)).
Yes Yes Yes cable made difference.
Of course, if the system I have is poor and ill-sounding, I can change all the cables I want without results.

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #404 of 783
Thank you for your testimony. Did you do blind tests, or any sort of abx to determine that the changes you heard were due to the cable?

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #405 of 783
Quote:
II was very skeptical about audible differences in usb cable.
But having experienced only by mere curiosity with some usb cable and my ODAC, now I am sure that there are differences and  sometimes differences are large enough to think that I have not changed a cable but a source :)).
Yes Yes Yes cable made difference.
Of course, if the system I have is poor and ill-sounding, I can change all the cables I want without results.

What cables did you use? ... And what Amp + Headphones did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back