USB cable and Sound Quality
Jul 25, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #61 of 783
Quote:
No. The puppy tears (in the solder) are protection against damnation. 

Seems counter-intuitive, I know... but we have blind testing data to support this. 

But what if you use your gold plated ears?
Quote:
Seriously.

I haven't seen the cable but if I get a regular ol' USB cable...well...I'll chalk it up to experience.
tongue_smile.gif

On the bright side i'm sure it will be thick enough to tow a car!

Jul 25, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #62 of 783
Jul 25, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #63 of 783
I have a stefan audio art endorphin USB cable set to arrive in late august. I ordered it a month ago and it will take 3 weeks to build after his other orders that are in front of mine are done. Mine doesnt cost 800 but it does cost about 350. I will sirely blond test it against a generic and apogee USB cable. I will have one of my students switch the cables.

Jul 25, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #64 of 783
Quote:
I have a stefan audio art endorphin USB cable set to arrive in late august. I ordered it a month ago and it will take 3 weeks to build after his other orders that are in front of mine are done. Mine doesnt cost 800 but it does cost about 350. I will sirely blond test it against a generic and apogee USB cable. I will have one of my students switch the cables.

DBT is better. You will need two students. Both should be unaware of the price or identity of the cables or the purpose of the test - the cables should be merely labelled A and B, if you can sheath them in something like rubber hose that may help.

Get one student to toss a coin 20 times - heads = cable A, tails = cable B and write down the order.

That student swaps cables between trials but does not reveal to anyone during the experiment which cable is in use at any time. Nothing else is changed.

A second student ushers you in and out of the room and makes sure you don't peek. This 2nd student does not know what cable is being tested but records your answer for each trial i.e which cable you say you are listening to. NOT any vague subjective stuff - just A or B

Perform a minimum of 20 trials - you will need to score at least 15/20 to demonstrate an audible difference

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #65 of 783
If I had no scruples and big brass ones, I would buy a container load of cables from Monoprice, sprinkle them with stripper dust (glitter), send a free one to 6moons, Stereophile and the other high priests, and build a web site offering them for $350.  I think Patrick might have the right idea...

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #67 of 783
I think the abbreviation was for double blind test... If so i am an idiot, i thought you were reffering to a brand of usb cable. I will use two students and follow the procedure you specified. I have proper vibration control system and i will monitoring through my apogee symphony io interface listening through a pair of akg k 702 and a pair of mackie hr 824 mk 2 nearfield monitors for referencing among other headphones in the akg line such as the k 240's and k 271's in protools 9 and logic as well as itunes wav audio files, recordings as well to see if any changes in sonics and data bits are relevant in conversion.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #68 of 783
The set up you describe nick_charles is hard though as he has no reference for A and B. When I think of double blind I think of the foobar ABX plugin - you get an A, B, X and Y sample and need to match A to X and B to Y or A to Y and B to X correctly. Also the time between trials will be large while he gets ushered in and out of the room, audio "memory" is shorter than that no?

Still, I hope some kind of experiment goes ahead, I'm very interested
L3000.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #69 of 783
Quote:
The set up you describe nick_charles is hard though as he has no reference for A and B. When I think of double blind I think of the foobar ABX plugin - you get an A, B, X and Y sample and need to match A to X and B to Y or A to Y and B to X correctly. Also the time between trials will be large while he gets ushered in and out of the room, audio "memory" is shorter than that no?

Still, I hope some kind of experiment goes ahead, I'm very interested
L3000.gif

It is less of a problem than you think. The guinea pig subject can listen sighted as long as he/she wishes before the test. This allows the subject to be familiar with the sound of the two stimulae. I should have mentioned this but it is common practice in audio tests to allow listeners to have sighted experience first - sorry, my bad. So before the blind tests the listener has a conception of how the two items sound and the blind part is to confirm that their conception is accurate when other clues are removed.

I agree there are issues with delay and audio memory and a random ABX box is a much better solution in general.

However, most DACs have only 1 USB input and so even if you have a switching box with 2 USB in and one out you have an extra USB cable so you would need two of the super-duper cables otherwise an intervening bog-standard cable would be deemed to nobble the super cable, then you have the issue of feeding two identical signals into the box so you would need two computers running the same software/music and carefully time-aligned on each trial, even a slight misalignment would easily identify A from B when compared with X.

If you had a DAC with two USB inputs you could switch between them , but then you do not have an X just A and B, you still have the sync problem even if you have one computer running two instances of the same media player through different USB ports (if this is even possible)

You could do rapid cable swaps behind a curtain (Single blind) but then you have the Clever Hans problem where the invigilator can consciously or unconsciously give clues as to the identity of the cable, perhaps one is harder to fit or takes more effort to remove.

One way you might manage it would be to have two identical DACs fed from two identical computers carefully sync'ed, feed the fixed line-level outputs (using identical analog cables) to an ABX box which sends A or B to an amp depending on the switching.

Personally how I would do it would be to digitally record the analog line-level outs from the DAC fed by both cables, run the results through a spectrum analyzer (run the math on them)  or set up Foobar blind tests between two carefully trimmed and aligned samples, but then the objection is that the digitizing process obscures the differences between the cables even if it is accurate to 16 or 20 bits.

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #70 of 783
CABLE IS HERE!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back