USB cable and Sound Quality
Jul 24, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #31 of 783
Quote:

Or take the analog output and digitally record that for both cables and compare - this will show any differences very easily

Good call. I think there is also value in a controlled listening test. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #32 of 783
The problem with recording and comparing the signals is that it doesn't account for the magic that Pierre claims can't be measured.  He would just claim that neither the input nor the output show the signal that he can hear.  I would like to see him claim to hear a difference on a null signal - you could DBT him against a cable that isn't connected...  
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #33 of 783
Quote:
I would like to see him claim to hear a difference on a null signal - you could DBT him against a cable that isn't connected...  
tongue.gif

Would be curious to see how he would handle a DBT at all - especially interpretation of results. For kicks, I'd want to have some control duplicates in there.

Of course, he would say that the testing method was invalid for some reason (unrealistic listening conditions, poor room, bad vibration control, etc.) But in the end, I'm not here to bash him. He just didn't answer the questions posed to him in a useful way - which is frustrating, if unsurprising. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #34 of 783
Jul 24, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #35 of 783
Quote:
Why? Very simply because 1) no combination of sine waves (which are extremely simple, smooth and repetitive in shape) can begin to approximate the extraordinarily complex, sharp edged and non-repetitive waveform patterns of real musical instruments

This is pure BS.  We have a whole mathematical field dedicated to representing non-periodic waveforms as a combination of sine waves (refer to Fourier series Fourier transform and Fourier integrals etc) of which we build our entire digital communications world upon this very field.  If we can't represent complex waveforms with the Fourier theories this very digital computer world you live in now simply doesn't exists.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #36 of 783
Quote:

This is pure BS.  We have a whole mathematical field dedicated to representing non-periodic waveforms as a combination of sine waves (refer to Fourier series Fourier transform and Fourier integrals etc) of which we build our entire digital communications world upon this very field.  If we can't represent complex waveforms with the Fourier theories this very digital computer world you live in now simply doesn't exists.

You are the 3rd person to critique that section, but your explanation is the best
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #37 of 783
Jul 24, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #39 of 783
The two companies i deal with are extremely well respected in their knowledge and products they provide. It is hard to swallow the last message i recieved from a man with a calabur of his experience that wasnt fully explained or accurate in terms of digital cables rather than analogue terminoligy descriptions.

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #42 of 783
OK...apparently my responses here have triggered some discussions.

I have been contacted by an audiophile cable manufacturer in order to review a prototype cable they are designing. It will retail from $300 to $1,000 depending on length and connectors. They are said to be "revolutionary" in their design and I have been offered a discount to review them. I decided to order their 60 inch cable which runs for $800.00 plus shipping. I was offered an 80% discount as a "reviewer discount". I figured it wasn't much of an investment to try out something "revolutionary" so I have pulled the trigger.

I'll report back on it once I get it in 3 - 4 days.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #43 of 783
Quote:

I have been contacted by an audiophile cable manufacturer in order to review a prototype cable they are designing. It will retail from $300 to $1,000 depending on length and connectors. They are said to be "revolutionary" in their design and I have been offered a discount to review them. I decided to order their 60 inch cable which runs for $800.00 plus shipping. I was offered an 80% discount as a "reviewer discount". I figured it wasn't much of an investment to try out something "revolutionary" so I have pulled the trigger.

May I ask what the company is?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #45 of 783
Quote:

Cool. Be sure to provide your testing methodology and controls so others can duplicate your experiments. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back