USB cable and Sound Quality
May 30, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #571 of 783
Quote:
"Either it works or it doesn't" is a motto that applies to a lot of digital audio. If there is a problem, it's rarely a subtle thing. I think people try to carry over truisms from the analogue era where good sound meant dealing with layers and layers of slight imperfections. Digital is much more straightforward.

+1 to this. I can't see any reason why a digital cable would (or could) change a "sound signature". 

If the two devices can detect each other, then data will be transferred. 

May 31, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #572 of 783
I use the USB cables that came with my external hard drives. They work great with crystalline clarity and soundstage that is so deep, you can measure it in fathoms.

But... But... The Revelation one costs 600 bucks. It HAS to be better, otherwise it would mean there are people who are not fully honest in the world, and you wouldn't want that, would you Bigshot?

May 31, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #573 of 783
+1

IMHO the amount of coffee one drunk a day can be more affective to the sound quality than any USB cable albeit I love fancy coating of some expensive digital cables. These are rather for pimping.

May 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #576 of 783
Quote:
But... But... The Revelation one costs 600 bucks. It HAS to be better, otherwise it would mean there are people who are not fully honest in the world, and you wouldn't want that, would you Bigshot?

I would have to guess you have never heard a top quality cable, and never will so how can you possibly start an argument about it? My apologies to you for being so misinformed.

May 31, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #577 of 783
Quote:

I would have to guess you have never heard a top quality cable, and never will so how can you possibly start an argument about it? My apologies to you for being so misinformed.

I would have to guess that you haven't read and certainly haven't understood this thread, so how can you possibly start an argument in it? My apologies, dear sir, for your unfortunate state of misinformededness.

May 31, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #578 of 783
popcorn.gif

May 31, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #579 of 783
Quote:
I would have to guess that you haven't read and certainly haven't understood this thread, so how can you possibly start an argument in it? My apologies, dear sir, for your unfortunate state of misinformededness.

What??? Of course I did not read the thread. Why would I? LOL

What could I possibly be misinformed about? I have tried 6 different cables. Some differences were subtle, others were enormous.

May 31, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #580 of 783
First post of the thread:

Quote:
Dare I put my toes into the water? I'm a physicist and audiophile (establish credibility!). I've been into living room system audiophilia for 20 years. This pc-audio is new to me and I'm just starting up. Now, about USB cables: I can hear a small difference between cables. If we assume the bits are transferred properly (and there is some debate  about that in USB-audio vs. USB-data), I think the issue is electromagnetic nosie getting through the circuits and into, in my case, the headphone amplier. All EM noise is immediately spread through an entire system, end-to end. Since at the end of the day, something is converted to analog to hear it, the cleaner the power and the better the shielding, the cleaner the final D/A will be. This will not be anything that affects data transfer, per se. All billion TB of information can be transferred with perfect fidelity; when you open your word document, all the correct words are there. But we don't listen to data files. There has to be analog conversion somewhere. In my living room system, it was always well worth the effort to clean up the power and have well shielded cables. Do any of the audiophile USB cables actually provide effective power filtering and shielding, such that the headphone amp is cleaner even though connected to the PC? I don't know. This can be properly done in a living room system. But there are snake-oil produccts there too, of course.

I am an audiophile with a $7k system. I have only tried one cable that fits that criteria and that's the Revelation Dual Conduit. In my own opinion the cable is anything but snake oil.  If it was I would have immediately returned it. The difference I heard was absolutely positively huge. Like comparing a $300 DAC to a $1500 DAC.

My 2 cents.

But why not just try one for yourself, and just return it if it isn't worth it to you? Not everybody is going to have the same opinion obviously.

May 31, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #581 of 783
Quote:

What could I possibly be misinformed about? I have tried 6 different cables. Some differences were subtle, others were enormous.

i am in your camp...the poorer camp.......so which one did u pick finally? 
biggrin.gif

sorry didnt see your post just b4....u picked the REV DUAL? 

May 31, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #582 of 783
Quote:

You appear to be misinformed about the nature of this thread, the nature of the subforum you're posting in, the psychology of perception, the truth of the value proposition of audiophile cables and the science behind them. That you haven't even considered the possibility of being misinformed about any of these is all the more troubling, if not entirely surprising.

May 31, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #583 of 783
Quote:
You appear to be misinformed about the nature of this thread, the nature of the subforum you're posting in, the psychology of perception, the truth of the value proposition of audiophile cables and the science behind them. That you haven't even considered the possibility of being misinformed about any of these is all the more troubling, if not entirely surprising.

I will have to ask you once again, how am I misinformed? This argument is not new to me in the least.

May 31, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #584 of 783
I love it when people describe their system in terms of how much money it cost them. That tells us absolutely nothing about the system. You could spend $20,000 and still have crappy sound... or $100,000. Price doesn't matter. How smart you are about choosing your equipment and how you put it all together are the things that make a difference. And spending a lot of money on a USB cable doesn't bode well for that.

May 31, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #585 of 783
Quote:

i am in your camp...the poorer camp.......so which one did u pick finally? 
biggrin.gif

sorry didnt see your post just b4....u picked the REV DUAL? 

Yup, $350 from Audiogon. Beat my expectations. It is the "V" cable and I plan to add a PS soon.

What surprised me was how much my sound improved even without the power supply. Could that have something to do with the heavy shielding and noise isolation of the +5V? In my opinion absolutely YES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back