USB cable and Sound Quality
Nov 17, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #121 of 135
Possibly, but in a difference that is so marginal that it makes no difference. What tends to happen is the audiophile finds a potential difference and exaggerates it into something that could be audible. Then they are able to attribute 'differences' between cables to the cable.

But then when all of these 'differences' are hidden and only the ear is used, the 'differences' disappear.

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #122 of 135
I've used Kimber USB cables, NuForce, and a myriad of standard USB cables.  There differences not only between the nicer ones, but the cheaper throw aways as well. 

Nov 20, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #123 of 135
As long as the HDMI cable is built to specifications and cost 3 dollars it's just as good as a cable costing 80 dollars built by Monster or Kimble. I do prefer the cable got goldplated connectors and shielding.

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #124 of 135
I've got the Furutech GT2 cable and I'm super happy with it, I've done a comparison with the stop cable and it my be a placebo affect but I'm defintaley glad I bought it !  Good build quality for sure.  Just makes you feel better, with better components and all!

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #126 of 135
This is ridiculous. USB cables are DIGITAL. As long as the data is being checked on both sides of the connection the data is IDENTICAL. Bit per Bit. USB is more than fast enough to push the data. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#Data_packets

USB is NOT analog so if something does interfere with the signal the data will be sent and again and your audio will either skip or stop completely. It is not possible for the audio to have small, subtle effects such as opening up the soundstage or having better treble.

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #127 of 135

Quote:
This is ridiculous. USB cables are DIGITAL. As long as the data is being checked on both sides of the connection the data is IDENTICAL. Bit per Bit. USB is more than fast enough to push the data. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#Data_packets

USB is NOT analog so if something does interfere with the signal the data will be sent and again and your audio will either skip or stop completely. It is not possible for the audio to have small, subtle effects such as opening up the soundstage or having better treble.

Please... we have so many threads on USB cables going and the same errors are repeated again and again and again. So, let's say it again:

- In all USB audio devices, the data is not error corrected and data is not resent in case of errors. All the USB audio protocols are isochronous (be they synchronous, adaptive or asynchronous) and isochronous transfers do not allow for error correction (see http://mprolab.teipir.gr/vivlio80X86/usb11.pdf , pt 8.7 and http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/audio10.pdf , pt 3.3 and following).

- There is room for subtle effects in the USB chain as most USB audio receivers (synchronous and adaptive) generate their system clocks on the basis of the timing of the arriving USB packets. Depending on the receiver, the jitter of this system clock can go from a few ns to ms (not a typo). This jitter will affect the accuracy of the digital to analog conversion.

However, that doesn't mean that, in my view, cables are likely to have an effect. The big trouble with USB audio is that the quality of the clock inside the source computer isn't guaranteed at all ; I suggest reading the discussion starting here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/417785/yes-virgina-there-is-a-difference-in-usb-cables/150#post_7254553

Feb 18, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #128 of 135
There are analytic instruments that can measure jitter in digital transmission cables down to levels that are relevant to audio data.  The lack of such measurement information from boutique USB cable makers suggest that either they do not understand how to measure jitter (in which case they should not be making cables) or that there is no difference in the transmission characteristics between the boutique cables and the cord on your USB mouse.  Consider that any company having such measurements (verified by an independent testing lab) would basically own the market.

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #129 of 135
So there is a common understanding that when a USB/Coax is transferring a digital signal, the quality of the cable would not affect the quality of the signal( let's say the length of the cable is under 1.5m )? However, when transferring a analog signal, the conclusion is different? 

The reason why is that I'm Looking for a pair of IC for my CD Transport, Although I would like to have decent quality Cable, it might have its use later. 

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #130 of 135

Quote:
So there is a common understanding that when a USB/Coax is transferring a digital signal, the quality of the cable would not affect the quality of the signal( let's say the length of the cable is under 1.5m )? However, when transferring a analog signal, the conclusion is different? 

The reason why is that I'm Looking for a pair of IC for my CD Transport, Although I would like to have decent quality Cable, it might have its use later. 

Wthout a doubt and after doing a blind A/B comparison, my roomate heard a difference between different USB cables whereas I didnt hear it.  I speak of a high end one and a standard one. Nevertheless the difference is based on the shielding IMO, not the data transport itself..

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #131 of 135
I have some background in electronics and RF research, so I'll contribute what I can. The answer is Yes and No. (this is long, sorry)

For the "No:"

As far as the USB signal goes, the important thing is that the bits arrive properly and on time. Since there is some error correction in USB, one or two bits being lost isn't a big deal. Yes, there might be a few tens of microseconds of additional latency, but any USB interface will have a small buffer. So, as long as the cable is of reasonable quality, there's no problem. 

Data problems then will be mostly limited to Jitter (since USB has error correction, and lost bits are very rare as it is anyway). A cable will NOT have an effect on the jitter. That's an issue with the clock. So get a reclocker (Hiface, etc, and give that clean power). A cable won't help you here. 

Why? Given the physics behind the electrical signals, at 480 MT/s (megatansfers per second) on a single-channel serial link (USB 2.0), any reasonable cable <15 ft won't affect the timing. Make a ridiculous run of 100 metres unbuffered, and you might run into issues. At 10GT/s, yes, there are issues with reflection, timing, and such weirdness (hence with Thunderbolt's active cabling), and with parallel cables running at 100MT/s+. Neither of which apply to USB 2.0. Much less USB 1.1. 

Now, for the "Yes:" Cheaper cables can introduce NON-DATA problems.

RF interference for one. A cable is an antenna. So an improperly shielded USB cable may introduce RF interference. Not anything at an audible frequency (the cable is much too short to get any apreciable low-frequency RF). However, higher frequency RF MAY introduce weirdness in the DAC module. So, moral is, make sure the cable is shielded (and the shield is grounded, which any decent cable will). Ferrites do help, in theory. I put my own on. I'm unsure if it made a difference, but they look cool. If you want to be extra cautious, get a USB 3.0 cable. There's more shielding on those.

Want to be extra sure? Make a homemade faraday cage and route as much of the cable through it. For extra peace of mind, just put the entire transport in a faraday cage, and make sure your building has a fancy matrix electrical earthing system, or that your hifi system has its very own grounding rod :)

But, the biggest problem is that USB comes with a 5V electric power feed. That is coming from a noisy place (your computer). This will affect most transports. Solution? Cut the red wire inside the USB cable, and feed in your own clean 5V power. You need the other three and the foil wrapping. Your cable has foil/metal braided wrapping, right? Any reasonable cable will. 

Moral? Get a decent cable. No need for any ridiculous 30USD (internet price) things. What you get from any boutique ones (cough, Monster or Audioquest) is nice looks and bragging rights. The most important thing to remember here is that USB has error correction and any latency (microseconds) introduced will be nullified in the transport's buffer, if the buffer is properly compliant with standards.

But a consideration: placebo really is significant in the enjoyment of music. And with DBTs, there is a "confirmation bias" to watch out for. Science has that problem all the time. So from a psychologic and neurological standpoint, if it sounds "better" to use uber-fancy cables, go for it, even if it's simply due to placebo!

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #132 of 135
Hm.. I dont think that it is the non-data problem but the shielding and building..My experience..okee the one of my roomate..

(and the shield is grounded, which any decent cable will). Thats the point to talk about :)

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #133 of 135
One thing I've found is that if you don't connect the connector shells together with the shield, my DAC will go nuts :)
I wonder if Thunderbolt will ever be used in the distant future for super high res audio transfers.  Its data rate is pretty insane though, more than what you'd need.  

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #134 of 135
Quote:
I wonder if Thunderbolt will ever be used in the distant future for super high res audio transfers.  Its data rate is pretty insane though, more than what you'd need.  

I doubt thunderbolt will ever come close to USB in ubiquity. I believe it's doomed to the fate of firewire due to the way Apple is using it on its products while every other company and peripheral manufacturer is going USB 3. USB 2 is already more than adequate for 384kHz/32-bit audio.

On an unrelated note, I have found USB cables to affect the sound quality -- I went from a monoprice cable to a Wireworld Ultraviolet and now a Furutech GT2 and the difference between the GT2 and Monoprice is too great for even the biggest cable skeptic to deny or claim is placebo. People need to try it for themselves instead of demanding scientific proof of upgraded cable efficacy.

Sep 2, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #135 of 135
I know this sounds crazy but I prefer the way my dac sounds with a cable that doesn't have the ferrite attached.

And you'd be right ! In fact, it should (does it?) sound much more "open"; lost its mushy, boomy bass and increased clarity and definition ?

To a Google search, and find a recommended USB cable for Computer Audio. In fact, if you care to try before you buy, consider the Audioquest "Carbon" USB cable -either through an accommodating dealer or through The Cable Company who charges a small fee for a cable evaluation.

You don't need "Golden Ears" or esoteric hi-fi gear. If you have kids, wife/girlfriend or buddy's around -ask them what they hear !
If they same the same thing, guess what, cables not only make a difference, but often times a profound one ! The "Carbon" is one that I'll bet you (and others) say ... "Oh, my, my" ...

Enjoy.

pj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back