USB cable and Sound Quality
Sep 27, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #46 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The article is a link from the Ridge Street Audio web site ridgestreetaudiodesigns.com/. It is the only article I could locate regarding their USB cable. I did also find a forum (can't locate it now) where a "group" was referred to that tested this and other cables. Certainly have to question the bias and origins of the article and test "group". The web site clearly states that Ridge Street took a usb cable they like and then shielded it. No new technology. So, unless massive shielding improves the audio transmission then this cable is no better than any other one IMHO.

Hi, which article are you talking about? Could you be more specific?

Sep 28, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #48 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, it's your link "ramblings computer based audio"

I was actually under the impression that Positive Feedback Online is an independent, online audio review site.

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #53 of 135
Olblueyez,
Very nice read, I think eliminating digital jitter is impossible, and that USB cables can make a difference if and only if:
The cable is not working properly (i.e. perfectly as it should) such as bits arent arriving, bits become flipped, it is subject to the switching power supply of a computer, or whether or not there are ferrites.

That is my take, but I am not an expert, this is information I have gathered. As far as eliminating jitter by switching cables I believe it lies more in the "USB receiver chip, dac and digital filters" and thereby is improbable to be eliminated by a cable.

Dave

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #54 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Olblueyez,
Very nice read, I think eliminating digital jitter is impossible, and that USB cables can make a difference if and only if:
The cable is not working properly (i.e. perfectly as it should) such as bits arent arriving, bits become flipped, it is subject to the switching power supply of a computer, or whether or not there are ferrites.

That is my take, but I am not an expert, this is information I have gathered. As far as eliminating jitter by switching cables I believe it lies more in the "USB receiver chip, dac and digital filters" and thereby is improbable to be eliminated by a cable.

Dave

I suppose there is no way to find out if those unfortunate conditions exist unless you try the cables out first hand?

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #55 of 135
I have tried a number of USBs including the belking gold, the headroom, and the kimber.
Yes there is an audible difference. No I don't have the know how to explain it scientifically, but what I know is that none of these cables works "perfectly" and the kimber was the most "perfect" of the bunch but because they all dont work "properly (perfectly)" this is where the improvement comes. I cannot say whether it is from flipped bits, the ferrites, the interference, or what but there is a difference.

As far as optical, There is also a difference here in cables. But it is not because of 1's and 0's it is because the cables do not work properly "perfectly". This is where the room for improvement comes.

Yes I am in agreement that if cables worked properly (perfectly) then a 1 will sound the same through any cable as will a 0. But this is unfortunately not so.

Dave

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #57 of 135
To my ears, the improvement was definately audible. The bass seemed more controlled (tighter), the soundstage widened a bit, and overall just lead to a more joyous listening expierence.
However, as you can see, I currently use a monster optical cable as my digital interconnect as it has what I percieve as a lot of airiness and an even wider soundstage.
I have not done a side by side of the kimber and any optical, but they likely yield similar results if the optical is good.

Dave

Sep 30, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #58 of 135
You got me thinking and I dug an optical cable and adapter out of my giant box of cables and conected my dac using optical and I like it. Could all be in my head but I seem to be getting simular results, more air and larger sound stage. Is there a parrot in the room?

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #60 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys think about this thread?

USB Cables | Computer Audiophile

Seems to be a hot topic over there as well.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back